Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 11th, 2004, 10:29 AM
Passenger

Default Thoughts on the QM2

We are somewhat concerned about a large amount of negative criticism directed at the new QM2 on the CM Cunard message board. As we are scheduled to sail on this line to the Caribbean on Nov. 6 for 10 days, obviously any kind of opinion is of interest to my wife and I. Having visited other cruise review web sites as well as the CruiseMates site, I'm finding more negative remarks than positive. The complaints are mainly from passengers who have been assigned to the Britannia Dining Room, whose cabins are not suites. The concerns are directed towards the quality of food and service in the dining room, poor quality of entertainment, very, very, expensive shops, indifferent cabin and ship stewards, long line ups for other eating venues, and other more minor grouses.
Surely other ships have had their share of inaugural season problems but why so much negativism at this particular ship? Is it because some people were expecting too much or are these people just negative in everyday life?
The reasons we are concerned is because we have enjoyed the 6 other cruises we have been on (none with Cunard) and have never experienced anything like we're reading about the QM2. We also read that no food is available once embarked, until 6pm - can this be true?, and that on casual evenings, men who don't wear a jacket and tie to the dining room are frowned upon. Surely, Cunard don't expect this on a Caribbean cruise for a casual evening?
We would appreciate your thoughts on this matter.

Jameee

Sponsored Links
Old July 11th, 2004, 02:40 PM
Pat Jonson

Default Re: Thoughts on the QM2

Jaimee - we, too, are getting concerned about the negative reports. After all, the QM2's maiden voyage was in January -- surely enough time now to correct some of these complaints!
Old July 12th, 2004, 04:22 AM
Passenger

It's quite simple really, there are no valid excuses for continued poor service in the restaurarants. No one should have sailed on the maiden voyage or the following few sailinsg expecting total perfection. A ship of this magnitude will take some settling down as the crew get to know the ship and routines can be perfected.

The fact is that it would appear that there is a continuing underlying thread relating to the problems with QM2 and in partuicular Britannia restaurant. Food quality, Cold food, slow service whatever it is Cunard must be more than aware that this is their weak spot. Reading the boards and other reviews in the first months of sailing I expected quick and appropriate measures to be taken by Cunard Management to address these issues. Quite frankly I'm amazed this hasn't happened and furthermore I would go so far as to suggest that unless they take measures to bring the ship up to the standards they are marketing it at then I believe the 2005 season for the ship could be a rather interesting one.

Someone in Cunard Management has to takes responisbility for this and other problems such as:

Short term changes on itineraries without prior notification to passengers until embaraktion. Newport scheduled as a call instead of New York. The summer calls to Gibraltar are cancelled. . The reason is nothing to do with the political situation vis a vis Spain and the Uk it's because the ship is to big for the harbour and the necessary works haven't been carried out to enable docking.

Introducing charges for Todd English for passengers already booked as they can't cope.

Post Edited (07-13-04 03:41)
Old July 12th, 2004, 01:56 PM
The other Jon

I must say we were very impressed by food and service on QM2 in April this year.

I was unimpressed by Todd English and the Chef's Galley, especially with the surcharges. The service in Todd English was, however, excellent, in spite of the mundane cooking.

Jon
Old July 12th, 2004, 02:21 PM
jade

I did 25th june Transatlantic crossing. The first 2 nights in Britannia the food service was fast. but we didn't manage to get any wine or even a drink other than water. After that we ordered wine for dinner on the interactive TV and had no problems.Food portions were on the small side but everything was hot and tasted very nice.
As for the dress codes pretty much anything seemed to be excepted. Most men wore a suit and tie or tux on formal nights but a lot of women just had black trousers and a top on.Not really formal wear in my opinion. informal night men mostly in suits but you don't need to wear a tie. Casual nights i saw people in jeans in the britannia no one seemed to be taking any notice of what anyone was wearing.It was on the whole a lot less dressy than pre cruise info implied.
The alternative dining places seemed fairly empty the nights we passed through and even on formal nights people in them were excepted in casual clothes.Didn't go to Todd English so can't comment about that. On embarkation day food is available until 4PM. Then everything closed because lifeboat drill is at 5PM.
Saw 2 shows,they were good. Live band in G32 were really good fun. Young and old seemed to be having a great time in there.
Cabin steward was always changing towels and emptying bins although we only saw him once, but the cabin was always immaculate.All the staff we saw whilst about the ship were pleasant and polite.
Old July 12th, 2004, 04:56 PM
WendyB

We have just disembarked from a 6 day transatlantic crossing from New York to Southampton and though, admittedly, we were in the Princess Grill accomodations we did not find anything at all to complain about.

Of course I cannot speak for the Britannia restaurant service or food quality, but the menus looked very much like those in the Princess Grill and we found the food to be of excellent standard and plentiful. We were amazed that food is available in the massive King's Court cafeteria-style (in the daytime) restaurant, which is in four parts, just about 24 hours a day, even when you can eat breakfast, lunch and dinner in your own dining room, or have 24-hour room service.

King's Court offers self-service breakfast items of all kinds, coffee, tea, lemonade, iced tea, cranberry juice and ice, moves into lunctime offerings of carvery items, italian, asian foods and burgers, and hot dogs, then serves afternoon tea, with finger sandwiches, scones and pastries, tea time for the children and turns itself into four separate restaurants for the evening with waiter service.

There were queues from time to time, but mostly at peak, breakfast and lunch times, but moved quickly and cleanup was efficient.

Frankly, sometimes I think people just seem to like to complain.

The entertainment was top class (just one of the shows we found to overstretch the singers a little), plenty of educational recreation, a terrific library and the planetarium has several shows daily, plus shows movies too The RADA offerings for us were from a talented group of young people, led, in this instance by Richard Johnson, who did a couple of shos, plus three workshops.

We didn't even manage to get to the pools, or the golf simulator!!

Britannia obviously deals with a huge number of people at one sitting, but, judging by the number in the King's Court - many of them were not in the dining room. Di they have a problem with the service? Or just prefer to dine whenever they wished? I can't really say. The staff in the Princess Grill were unfailingly charming, well-trained and efficient and the food was excellent and arrived quite promptly. Are we all in too much of a hurry these days??

Dress codes. On formal nights, dress codes were enforced in the dining rooms, dinner jacket or dark suit. Informal nights, gentlemen were expected to wear a jacket and tie. Casula meant simply that the men should wear a shirt with a collar and no shorts, which one can understand in the dining room, but no dress code was enforced in the King's Court, so some chose to dine there if they wanted to wear swimwear (or in the poolside restaurants) or remain in shorts.

There is NO shortage of food, so I think you should have a wonderful trip.
I would be happy to answer any other questions that I can help you with.
Old July 13th, 2004, 09:05 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to lexxity

please don't have any negave thoughts, we had a great time in march, found the food to be excellent and plentiful and if you want to change anything, which i did a couple of times as i always try things i havn't had before, and there was no problem with this. you can also ask for a double portion, i don't reccommend this because you always end up with too much. the service was excellent and the staff were very friendly and accomodating. we never had any trouble with our room being not made up either.
go with an open mind and enjoy yourselves!
Old July 19th, 2004, 02:47 PM
TaminRob

People who feel the constant need to complain are probably more apt to write in than those who are content and happy. Don't listen to the complainers. They need to chill out and appreciate the beauty of the QM2 and everything that goes along wiith it. You're on vacation, people. Relax!!! You will LOVE the QM2.
Old July 19th, 2004, 04:22 PM
Passenger

We just returned from a ny to southampton crossing and dined in the Britannia.
First of all, we boarded the ship at 12:30 and the Kings Court buffet was open with a fresh array of food,

We enjoyed the Britannia dining room
and ate almost all our meals there. In doing so we sat at many different tables and experienced different servers. We thought that the food was excellent and we consider ourselves foodies who frequent New Yorks finest restaurants. Our service was very good except for one waiter at lunch who was late in bringing my ice tea. The wait staff are extremely well trained and service is very professional. I spoke to many folks during meals and without a question the opinions were wonderful. Amazing was a word we constantly heard from people throughout the crossing. My husband and I and our table mates are ready to go again.
Old July 19th, 2004, 05:17 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to lexxity

hi june,
i'm so glad to hear you had good experiences, it certainly make a change from hearing bad this and slow that. book again and you can enjoy that delicious anticipation before you again sail on this most magnificent of ships!

Queen Elizabeth 2 - Trans-Atlantic 2001
Queen Mary 2 - Caribbean - 2004
Queen Mary 2 - Mediterranean - 2004

QM2 Transatlantic
QE2 40th Anniversary Round Britain Cruise.
Old July 19th, 2004, 10:02 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Thoughts on the QM2

I hope that you have a wonderful trip, you must be so excited. I have the 2005 brochure and am seriously looking.