Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 18th, 2004, 08:28 PM
Passenger

Default Just back from crossing...any QM2 questions?

I'll be glad to answer any questions. We just returned from our wonderful July 5th crossing and a few extra days in London.
June
Sponsored Links
Old July 18th, 2004, 09:33 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Just back from crossing...any QM2 questions?

Hi June,
Is it a fact that one has to pass through the Todd English restraunt in order to get to the aft pool?

Old July 19th, 2004, 02:33 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to lexxity

no you can go round it, but when its between meal times you can nip through it.

Queen Elizabeth 2 - Trans-Atlantic 2001
Queen Mary 2 - Caribbean - 2004
Queen Mary 2 - Mediterranean - 2004

QM2 Transatlantic
QE2 40th Anniversary Round Britain Cruise.
Old July 20th, 2004, 07:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Family is thinking of the same transatlantic in 2006 as my son wants to play golf in Scotland (no cars in this family on the 16th BD, but a family trip of the child's choosing). Suggestions on cabin location? Things to do for 6 days for a then 16.5 year old boy and a 14 year old girl? How was your weather?
Old July 20th, 2004, 10:38 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Just back from crossing...any QM2 questions?

The weather was very good but cool on the ship. The ocean was super smooth.
We were on deck 12 in a cabin near the B stairway which was very centrally located.
The covered pool is on deck 12 and very near to our cabin. This seemed to be the place where teenagers met and lounged around. This might also be a good location for your family.
Old July 21st, 2004, 02:36 PM
Pat Jonson

How is the tipping handled? I understand a charge of $11 pp per day is made automatically. Are envelopes provided at the end of the cruise for extra tips?

Re the Todd English restaurant - is it extra special and worthy of trying to make a reservation?

Is there an iron/ironing board available in the cabins?

Thank you for any info you can provide!
Old July 21st, 2004, 03:59 PM
The other Jon

Todd English is all right but I would not pay the extra for it again.

There are small laundries on each deck, with ironing bords.

Jon
Old July 21st, 2004, 09:13 PM
Passenger

The tips are added to your onboard account. There are Cunard envelopes in your cabin.
We tipped the cabin steward when we arrived and again when we departed. She was excellent. We also tipped our waitress on the last evening as she also provided excellent service. This is all voluntary as we never felt that staff were waiting for extra tips.

I have to disagree with the other John. We love Todd English restaurants in Boston and New York so naturally we wanted to try it on the ship. It was of the same quality and in our opinions very well worth the extra money. Making a reservation at Todd English was the first order of business when we boarded. We went to the restaurant on deck 8 and had a short wait. We were able to make 2 dinner reservations. We actually only kept one reservation as we were enjoying our dinner companions and the food in Britannia and didn't want to miss another evening with them.
Old July 22nd, 2004, 08:02 AM
Gabriel

Default Re: Re: Re: Just back from crossing...any QM2 questions?

As to the envelopes in the room . . .

On my QM2 trip, when we returned to our cabin on the final night before dinner, I could not find the QM2-monogrammed binder that held the envelopes, postcards., etc., as I planned on using the envelopes to enclose the tip for the waiter, etc. After turning the cabin upside down looking for where I could possibly have misplaced the binder, I finally called the room steward. It turned out that he had collected the binders during the turndown service, apparently so we (and the other passengers under his charge) wouldn't take them home as souvenirs.

Kind of presumptuous, I thought. (He did give me a handful of envelopes and postcards, but I never saw the binder again.).
Old July 22nd, 2004, 09:16 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to lexxity

i think it was a wise idea of your steward to remove the binder as a lot of things have been mysteriously "disappering" from the QM2.

Queen Elizabeth 2 - Trans-Atlantic 2001
Queen Mary 2 - Caribbean - 2004
Queen Mary 2 - Mediterranean - 2004

QM2 Transatlantic
QE2 40th Anniversary Round Britain Cruise.
Old July 22nd, 2004, 01:42 PM
Passenger

Brand it and it goes.

Ever wondered why most hotels offer you plain white towels just a little smaller than you would ideally like.....or is it so they fit in my suitcase?
Old August 3rd, 2004, 06:52 PM
Flora

June We are thinking of doing a crossing next July 17 and staying in England for 10 days How did you get around in England?? tours?? where did you stay? Any info would be greatly appreciated! Feel free to email me and thanks so much
Old August 4th, 2004, 04:06 PM
Passenger

Hello June once again,
Having enjoyed various reviews of this lovely ship and how enjoyable lunches are in The Golden Lion pub,I was wondering if food of a similar kind is served in the evening? Or are only snacks served instead of we'll say of Bangers and Mash? Thanks.

Old August 10th, 2004, 06:51 AM
Passenger

Hi Jamee,
I am not sure, but i believe that the Golden Pub is lunch only.
June
Old August 13th, 2004, 03:38 AM
Passenger

Correct, Lunch time only until 2 pm. Food service is quick and well presented.
Old August 22nd, 2004, 10:02 PM
JYGresham

Can someone tell me if the Princess 1 a nd 2 suite cabins have a tub in the bathroom.
Also are the beds the same ,either twin or put together queen size as on most ships?
Old August 23rd, 2004, 07:14 AM
Passenger

My parents had a P1 cabin with a Tub in the bathroom. We thought the bed was the same size as our B1 grade in whcih case it's big enough!
Old August 23rd, 2004, 09:12 AM
Passenger

The beds in B1 are king size and wonderfully comfortable. The beds are made with a blanket and a duvet cover. It was suggested to me that we ask our cabin steward for a top sheet, which we did and it was just all so incredibly soft.
Old August 26th, 2004, 06:42 PM
Passenger

Really apprecate your offering to answer questions. thanks... Do you remember which nights are the formal nights? I want to book the Todd English and don't want to book it on formal nights. Can we book the Todd English before we board the ship? What about spa or salon appointmentts, can we do that before we board. ALso, what about changing the ships" time. Do they do that as the ship changes time zones or did they wait until the end. We did a Panama cruise once where it seemed they changed the time every day-sometimes forward and sometimes back-very confusing to this old body. thanks in advance.
Old August 27th, 2004, 08:04 AM
Passenger

I recalll that we booked Todd English on our 4th night and it turned out to not be a formal night. The first night is casual..second and third were formal..fourth was semi formal...fifth was formal optional and 6th was casual. You cannot book Todd until you board the ship. It was the first thing we did when we got onboard. We tried the phone but had to go in person. There was a line but it was short. We actually made 2 dinner reservation, wed and sat. and then cancelled Saturday. If you are in princess or queens grill you can book the spa in advance. Since we were not we went to the spa after Todd and had no trouble making reservations. I would suggest you book whatever you think you would like as you can always cancel but often can't get reservations later on.
Each night there is a card on your bed telling you to set your clock ahead or back 1 hour. By the time you arrive you are on local time. The time changes are certainly hard on the body. Remember..here's to the nap. Let me know if you need any other info. It's great fun talking about our wonderful trip.
Old August 27th, 2004, 10:47 AM
Doris C.

Here's a tip that I found worked very well. Call the Canyon Ranch Spa directly. They can book your appointments about two weeks in advance of sailing. On their website, they have a whole section on the QM2, with all of their offerings and prices. It takes away some of the anxiety of worrying about booking appointments when you get onboard.
Old August 27th, 2004, 10:51 AM
Passenger

I have a question about booking the spa directly with Canyon Ranch - is that for the first class passengers or can everyone do that?
Old August 27th, 2004, 11:09 AM
Passenger

I tried that and was told they will only advance book for princess and grill cabin passengers.
Old August 27th, 2004, 03:53 PM
Doris C.

Maybe things have changed since my May sailing, but I was able to book about two weeks in advance--and they couldn't have been nicer about it. (I was traveling with my husband, mom, and sister, and booked a total of 10 appointments for a very short cruise, and they were easily able to accommodate me.) I was in the Britannia, but they never asked. I would definitely give it a try...you have nothing to lose.
Old August 29th, 2004, 07:39 AM
Passenger

I guess I gave up too easily. Next time I'll follow your suggestion. In any event, it worked out fine for us.
Thanks
June
Old August 29th, 2004, 09:34 AM
Passenger

thanks so much, we are really looking forward to our trip and i am sure i will other questions later on,,,, thanks again
Old August 30th, 2004, 08:03 PM
Maryvb

How was the service, especially in the dining room. I have heard there were problems with the level of service. I am sailing on her in in November. I can't wait.

Mary
Old August 31st, 2004, 10:34 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Just back from crossing...any QM2 questions?

We were in the Brittania dining room and found that the food and service were wonderful, in fact, better than many good restaurants. The staff was obviously well trained. That said, that does not mean that every person on the wait staff is without flaw and I am sure that other people may have had different experiences. I can only speak for our table at dinner and the varied servers we had at breakfast and lunch. I wish I were going with you in November. I would love to be looking forward to another voyage on the QM2.
June
Old September 8th, 2004, 09:35 AM
Admiral

Maryvb: when are you sailing in Nov? Will you be with us on Nov. 6? Hope to meet you!

donna (Jameee's other half)

Old September 8th, 2004, 06:42 PM
Maryvb

rollerdonna,

We are going on the 16th. You'll be getting off and we will be getting on. Everytime I am getting off and I look over at everyone getting on I wish I booked a back to back cruise. Some day when time permits. Too bad we won't be on at the same time. Have a great time!

Maryvb