Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 19th, 2004, 08:46 PM
Mary2

Default Cruise Wear

I have a question for the Caribbean cruise goers. What type of dress did you find most in the main dining room? I know there is formal, informal and casual. I am going in November but I am starting to look for outfits now. How formal is formal? How informal was informal and so on. What was the majority of the people wearing for each of these ngihts? Also since we will be cruiding to the Caribbean did people adjust their choice of evening wear for the hotter climate or did they dress the same despite the climate we were cruising in?

Any help would be appreciated so we can begin to buy the appropriate outfits.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old July 19th, 2004, 10:05 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Cruise Wear

We're just back from our transatlantic crossing and I was surprised to see the great degree of formal attire for the women. Everyone was dressed up and well dressed but some wore beaded gowns and many other wore long black dresses which were less formal. Also saw very dressy pant suits. So, lots of variety.
Old July 20th, 2004, 03:44 PM
cpt crowther

My wife and I are also cruising the carribean in November .She is having the same dillema so please post some helpfull hints.
Old July 20th, 2004, 04:05 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to lexxity

i cruised the caribbean in march and the formal was gowns, the informal was cocktail and casual is smart casual, no jeans. go online to www.monsoon.co.uk to get an idea of the cocktail wear, there is a dress called sasha that is a pretty good indication of the cocktail dresses you can expect. i hope this helps to give you an overall indication of the dress you can expect. people do dress very fancy, but it is a very fancy ship and people dress to that level. it is great fun to see everyone dressed up to the nines and enjoying themselves, have a good cruise.

Queen Elizabeth 2 - Trans-Atlantic 2001
Queen Mary 2 - Caribbean - 2004
Queen Mary 2 - Mediterranean - 2004

QM2 Transatlantic
QE2 40th Anniversary Round Britain Cruise.
Old July 21st, 2004, 07:24 AM
CruiseShelly

Was on the 10 May Caribbean sailing. Evenings are very dressy. There was no adjustment to the Caribbean climate as we were all indoors from cocktail hour on anyway.

Night 1 - Casual -- dressy pants, skirts, tops. dresses you'd see in a city restaurant on a Saturday night.. Men in jackets, some with ties.

NIght 2 and 3 - Formal -- lots of floor length dresses, beaded, sequins. Think opening night at the opera.

Night 4-5-6 - Informal -- actually "semi-formal" by my experience, cocktail dresses, still a lot of sequins and tuxes to be seen.

Night 7 Informal/Optional Formal -- most people went formal again with men in tuxes.

Night 8 - Casual -- dressy pants, skirts, tops, dresses you'd see in a city restaurant on a Saturday night. Men in jackets, some with ties.

The ship is not a casual ship. Even daytimes, most people were dressed up more than I expected. Walking shorts and polo shirts were okay, but at about the lowest level of fashion being worn.

Hope this helps!
Old July 21st, 2004, 12:41 PM
Passenger

Thank you for your post. It was very helpful.
Old July 26th, 2004, 09:05 PM
Admiral

Mary, we too are sailing QM2 in Nov. - 6th to be exact. When are you going? I am also in a dilemna about what to wear, I don't own anything really formal, and now I'm getting nervous!

donna

Old July 27th, 2004, 01:37 PM
Passenger

We are on the Nov 16th cruise. I have a feeling from reading the posts that the dress is way formal. I am not a dress-up kinda of gal - but I guess I will have to start looking for some nicer wear.
Old July 28th, 2004, 04:02 PM
First Mate

We are going on the Nov.26 cruise and we know weather you like to or not its going to be dressy. Remember its winter and leaves from New York
Old July 29th, 2004, 07:24 AM
CruiseShelly

Very dressy. Go prepared, clothes-wise and mentally.