Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 28th, 2004, 02:37 PM
GFC

Default Possible QM2 West Coast

Given the success of the QM2, the possibility of Cunard ordering a sister ship (QE3?) increases. If so, I think it would be a great idea to move the QM2 to Los Angeles for 7 day cruises each way to and from Hawaii during the winter season and 7 day cruises each way to and from Alaska during the Summer. The ship is fast enough to allow multiple port visits in the outer Hawaiian islands before arriving in Honolulu and multiple port visits/scenic cruising in Alaska before arriving in Anchorage. Passengers would have the option of 7 day one way trips or 14 day round trips. The QM2 could also do occasional 7 day or 14 day round trips to Mexico and/or Galapagos Islands.

If the QM2 used the Carnival pier in Long Beach next to the original Queen Mary, Cunard would have a great marketing opportunity showcasing both ships. The new sister ship could take over the transatlantic and carribean runs.

Any comments?
Sponsored Links
Old July 29th, 2004, 03:29 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to lexxity
Default Re: Possible QM2 West Coast

you have a couple of problems, with an essentially good idea. the first one is how are you going to get the QM2 to LA? it doesn't fit through the panama canal. she's just too big and i don't imagine they would sail her from southampton the long way round. the other problem is that the number of ships/companies to alaska is restricted for environmental reasons and i couldn't imagine any of the present operators would be willing to give up such a lucrative route. otherwise it's not a bad idea, except that the QM2 was made for transatlantic routes and pootling around hawaii and alaska would be a waste if a fine ship.
just my thoughts

Queen Elizabeth 2 - Trans-Atlantic 2001
Queen Mary 2 - Caribbean - 2004
Queen Mary 2 - Mediterranean - 2004

QM2 Transatlantic
QE2 40th Anniversary Round Britain Cruise.
Old July 29th, 2004, 12:01 PM
GFC

Lexxity,

Thanks for your comments. Cunard could sail the QM2 around Cape Horn as part of a South America cruise. This would be a one-time repositioning cruise and could visit Brazil, the Chilean fiords, etc.

As for Alaska, Carnival Corp already has at least 15 ships in Alaska each summer between its Princess, Holland America and Carnival lines. I suspect Carnival would remove one of these ships if necessary to allow for the QM2.

You are right in stating that the QM2 was designed for the North Atlantic. But I think you need an ocean-going vessel that can handle possible rough seas if you are making regular Pacific crossings to Hawaii. The 25-30 knot speed of the QM2 will also make Hawaii and Alaska viable from Los Angeles because you can visit more ports-of-call. Los Angeles is a huge market and I suspect many people would love to avoid flights to Alaska or Hawaii if they have the option of cruising out of Long Beach.

Lastly, this idea would be contingent on a sister ship (QE3?) to replace the QM2 on the North Atlantic. I doubt Cunard would consider this idea unless a new ship is in the works. Thanks.

GFC
Old July 29th, 2004, 02:11 PM
Passenger

A new ship IS in the works. However, it is not a transatlantic liner (to my knowledge). It would be 2007's "Queen Victoria." Perhaps QV could go to Hawaii rather than QM2? After all, I'm pretty sure QV wouldn't do the Atlantic very well.