Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 22nd, 2004, 07:19 PM
Pat Jonson

Default Wedding Vow Renewals

I've posted comments on our 7/28 QM2 trip to Souhampton but forgot to mention how much we enjoyed renewing our wedding vows on the QM2. While our date is not a "milestone" we soon found out that, among the 20 + couples, we were not unique! The ceremony was a beautiful one, in the Winter Garden. I'd encourage anyone who wants to enhance their voyage to particpate. (fyi - we've been married 33 years; there were about 20 - 25 couples who celebrated anywhere from 1 month - to 11 years - to 57 years of marriage. )
Sponsored Links
Old August 23rd, 2004, 05:54 PM
EH

Default Re: Wedding Vow Renewals

Pat-

My husband and I were celebrating our 35th on the QM2 in July and even though he always swore he'd never do a renewal ceremony (he says the vows took the first time) he couldn't resist doing it on the QM2. I was a little disappointed though because the couples didn't really DO anything or SAY anything. I didn't want to go through an actual recitation of the vows, but I think it would have been nice if the chaplain/priest had said something for the group to answer as a whole, like "Do you renew the vows you made to each other on your wedding day?" and we could have all said "I do."

But still, it is a nice thing to offer. We had a couple that were married 57 years!!
Old August 26th, 2004, 05:35 PM
Pat Jonson

Default Re: Re: Wedding Vow Renewals

Dear EH,

Congratulations on 57 years! How wonderful. I'm sorry your vow renewal was not what you expected. On our 7/28 NYC to Southampton crossing, we had a monsignor from Brooklyn (Father Ryan, of Irish ancestry) on the ship. When I signed up for our particpation, I spoke to Father Ryan (jokingly asking if we needed to be Catholic - of course not), he told me this was his first time to do such a ceremony on a ship and he was not certain what was expected. As it turned out, it was great. All the couples stood and we repeated (each one separately, to the spouse) words he had chosen. It was so moving, I have to admit I cried. It was a very emotional experience for us. (I'll also admit that we also agreed we needed to renew our vows, because after trying to get my husband into his tux each night was about to head us for divorce!!)

But we are so happy we took this trans-Atlantic cruise!