Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 30th, 2004, 04:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default QE2 World 2005

Does anyone from the 2004 World Cruise remember if there were any theme nights on the Fort Lauderdale to Honolulu section. For example Carribean, western, 50's etc. These nights add so much fun if one participates but there's nothing worse than learning about them too late to plan. Thanks everyone. Harry
Sponsored Links
Old August 31st, 2004, 11:43 PM
EDITHE

Default Re: QE2 World 2005

When we were on the 2004 World Cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to Los Angeles we had a "Pirate Ball", a "Mexican Fiesta Ball" and a "Black and White Ball". We saw that an "Aloha Ball" was scheduled between Los Angeles and Hawaii, but we were not on that leg.
We have reservations now for the part of the 2005 World cruise from NYC to Hawaii.
Old September 1st, 2004, 12:48 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: QE2 World 2005

Thanks Edithe, that's exactly what I need>QE2 is a creature of habit in that nothing seems to have changed since our last trip several years ago. These theme nights are a lot of fun IF you participate and we do!!! Harry
Old September 2nd, 2004, 12:01 AM
EDITHE

Default Re: Re: Re: QE2 World 2005

Harry, we (my adult daughter and I) definitely participate! That's why we have our "big" luggage shipped ahead to the ship!
Will you be on the 2005 World Cruise?
Old September 2nd, 2004, 03:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: QE2 World 2005

Hi Edithe! My wife and I will be on the leg from Fort Lauderdale to Honolulu. I'll be the one wearing the scruffy beard and wig on "Pirates Night" or else stepping on toes on the dance floor. We are coming back to QE2 after increasing frustration with diminishing standards (albeit lower prices) on the super barges. Hope this confidence is not misplaced. Harry
Old September 2nd, 2004, 07:09 PM
Jill O

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: QE2 World 2005

My Mother and I are booked on the World Cruise and are looking into sending our luggage ahead. What service did you use and did it work out ok for you. Thanks for your help.
Old October 26th, 2004, 12:50 PM
EDITHE

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: QE2 World 2005

Just got booklets today with info on the "balls" while we are onboard: January 9--Pirate Ball and January 15--Mexican Fiesta Ball.
Old October 27th, 2004, 04:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: QE2 World 2005

Edithe! Thanks for the latest on theme nights. Great time to buy stuff just after Halloween. Our stores are full of it.
Old November 13th, 2004, 02:33 PM
Familiar Face

We have received the booklet with all the shore excursions listed and $$.
The time is drawing near! Only about 6 weeks from now! Excitement!
Old November 13th, 2004, 05:02 PM
Evelyn Richardson

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: QE2 World 2005

Did the booklets list all the shore trips, number of theme nights, and number of formal nights? I have been wondering how you can pack for such long cruises unless you know the number of special nights.

Have you shipped your luggage by carrier?
Old November 13th, 2004, 05:15 PM
Familiar Face

Evelyn, one booklet is just listing the Shore Excursions with descriptions and prices and duration and is titled "Shore Excursions".
Another booklet is titled "Voyage Information" and has the "Guest Registration form" along with a list of all the balls; also, an ad about the White Star Luggage Service with a phone number; Visa information; insurance information (Cunard Guest Protection Program); transfer information and (UGH!) cell phone information.
We used the White Star Luggage Service in January to the QE2, in March to the QM2 and then in April to the QE2 for the tandem crossing. Unfortunately, in April our luggage was put on the wrong ship-the QM2 but we were reunited with it in Southampton on the QM2 coming back.
Also, unfortunately, we are still waiting for reimbursement for expenses incurred for purchases on the QE2 (clothing and toiletries) for which we purchased extra insurance!
Old December 6th, 2004, 09:25 PM
Cornelia

I'm only traveling NY to LA, but, there's a "pirate night" and "Mexican" theme ball listed for that portion. Looking forward to my first Panama Canal transit...anyone else?
Cornelia
Old December 6th, 2004, 11:41 PM
Familiar Face

Default QE2 World 2005-LUGGAGE SHIPPING

Well, when my daughter called White Star Luggage service to make arrangements for us in January, she was told by DHL that there were no provisions to send it back from Hawaii to Dallas. Am hoping we can make some arrangements while onboard otherwise, we will have to use porters "big time" going home.
Old December 8th, 2004, 11:30 PM
Familiar Face

Default QE2 World 2005

Doing the document dance today! We received ours! YEAH!
Old December 9th, 2004, 04:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

We are now M3 cabin up from M5. Anyone know if these are twin beds? Awaiting Docs (tickets with flight information) Harry
Old December 10th, 2004, 09:15 AM
Familiar Face

Default QE2 World 2005--CABIN CONFIGURATION

Harry, if you go to : www.deluxecruises.com you can see details of all the QE2 cabins: square footage; bed configurations, etc.
Old December 10th, 2004, 12:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: QE2 World 2005--CABIN CONFIGURATION

Got the square footage Thanks. Harry
Old December 23rd, 2004, 04:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Received tickets Dec 20, two weeks to go. Airline Red-Eye special, going to be in really good shape the first night but after that!!!!!!!!! See you there. Harry
Old December 24th, 2004, 09:51 AM
Familiar Face

Default QE2 World 2005

We are flying up the day before boarding (January 2) just to make sure there are no travel glitches!
Our scheduled boarding time is stated to be between 2:00 and 4:00 PM but I would rather be at the terminal looking at the ship (and people watching) than sitting around a hotel!
Just really keeping fingers crossed that the weather is good. Edithe in Dallas TEXAS USA
Old December 26th, 2004, 03:35 PM
Familiar Face

Default QE2 World 2005-AIR CONDITIONING

Heard the AC is "acting up" on the ship right now. Sure hope they get it fixed before January 3! Edithe in Dallas TEXAS USA
Old January 14th, 2005, 03:12 PM
CruisingBryan

We board here in Honolulu a week from today and STILL have no cruise documents or airline tickets. Cunard is saying that there was a problem with the printers who do the docs and therefore they were all being done manually. Supposedly they were sent out on Monday but nothing here in Honolulu as of yet.
Old February 4th, 2005, 03:28 AM
Cruise Maniac

has anyone got the new site for deluxcruises that lists the qe2 cabin sizes etc...????thanks...
Old February 4th, 2005, 11:42 PM
Familiar Face

Default QE2 CABIN SIZES

Roscoe, you need to add the "e" to the end of "delux".
www.deluxecruises.com
Old February 5th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

ha....thanks...couldnt work out on that other site where the heck they all were......all that for the lack of an "e" ! tthanks....roscoe
Old February 8th, 2005, 12:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

all booked.....an m4 cabin....and got a c5 cabin for the trouble....my first upgrade...there is an upgrade fairy afterall!!!!! Looking forward to it and would love to hear from anyone who has done the NY to Hawaii run....thansk roscoe
Old February 8th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Familiar Face

Default QE2 World 2005-NYC TO HAWAII

Roscoe, we did this portion just last month! WONDERFUL!
Old February 8th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

great....I wan to know everything!!!!! Cant wait to do it ourselves.....what excursions did they offer.., did you get into panama city....what was the temp like....were you able to laze by the pool or was it to cold untill you got to Fort Lauderdale.....tell me everything!!! ps...what cabins did you have....ive now got #4164. Do you live in NY or did cunard fly you from somewhere., ...???? tell me everything!!!! roscoe
Old February 9th, 2005, 11:35 PM
Familiar Face

Default QE2--JAN. 2005--NYC TO LA

Roscoe, I tried to find one of my previous postings about the trip (excursions, etc.) so I could refer you but cannot right now. Will try tomorrow.
Oh, we live in Dallas TEXAS and flew to NYC the day before boarding to make sure there were no glitches.
Old February 10th, 2005, 03:06 AM
Cruise Maniac

thanks eatallinsects....(boy what a handle!)...am looking forward to reading your post....

Thinking of flying to ny 3 days early.....just incase the airports are closed due to snow....gee...its a year off and im already paranoid im gonna miss the boat!
Old February 10th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Familiar Face

Default QE2 World 2005

Roscoe, I can understand your fear of snowstorms when flying into NYC. They had been having big time snow up there and we discovered back in 2002 how much more relaxed we were by flying to the boarding city at least a day before.
We boarded just fine in NYC but after dinner that night, I got sick "big time"! The ship's doctor made a "house call". I know he thought I had the "Norwalk virus" but he diagnosed it as something complete different. I was under "house arrest" for the next 48 hours and then they fumigated our cabin! We found out later that several passengers had come down with the same thing and were "confined to quarters".
Anyway, I cannot report on conditions outside the ship from NYC to Ft. Lauderdale except for what I could see from the porthole (smile).
My daughter did do an excursion in Ft. Lauderdale and enjoyed it: going on an "air boat" through swamps to see an Indian Village and she got to pet a "Florida panther"; we call them pumas or mountain lions here in Texas; so, she was a happy camper.
Our next stop was Curacao (we had been there the previous January while on the QE2 from Ft. Lauderdale to Los Angeles). Unfortunately, it was pouring rain the whole day so we just got off the ship and bought trinkets at the vendors' tent right at the docks.
Others did brave the rain to walk into town and go on some excursions.
Going through the Panama Canal was fabulous! Again, we had done it the previous January but it is still a spectacular experience. After we got home, our Public Television Station had a 2 hour program on the building of the Canal and I wish we had had the opportunity of seeing it before this last trip: would have really appreciated the adventure much more.
We did go on the Panama Canal Railway excursion (again). We recommend this; a bit pricey, I think $145.00 per person in the regular car and $165.00 in the dome car. We tried for the dome car both times but were told that all seats in the dome car were sold out a year in advance?
Acapulco was "same old, same old". Last year we went to see the "cliff divers" as my daughter had not seen them before. Again, this time we just took the tender to the dock and "messed around": buying "stuff" and talking with the very agressive taxi drivers at the dock; lots of fun talking with the "locals" if you enjoy that type of thing.
In January 2004, the ship stopped at Cabo San Lucas but not this time, unfortunately. Not sure why as it was an enjoyable stop (the crew thought so, also).
Next stop: Los Angeles. We opted for the shortest excursion, about 4-5 hours. The tour hit the highlights: Rodeo Drive, Sunset Boulevard, Hollywood & Vine, Grauman's Chinese Theater (where I had my picture taken with Elvis, for a tip, of course).
Then, between Los Angeles and Hawaii, my daughter ended up with a bad "cold" and didn't feel like doing much of anything onboard.
Arriving in Hawaii: beautiful! As we were flying back home that afternoon, Cunard paid for a mini-tour and we got to see some of the island.
Honolulu has the most beautiful airport!
Arrived home at 5:00 AM the next day after a miserable 7 hour flight scrunched up in those economy-class seats!
Hope this has been informative to you?
LOVE THE QE2!