Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 31st, 2004, 08:46 AM
GALEX

Default New to Cunard?

Hello
I am new to Cunard and would like to try a short cruise on Cunard. I am looking in to the Independence Day cruise of 4 days from nyc for 2005. Can anyone tell me if they have fromal night on this short cruise? Do they have the regular things to do like if it were a transatlantic cruise or any other cruise? How formal is formal night on Cunard compared to other cruise lines? Any other recommedations for someone who is new to Cunard but has done others. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Old August 31st, 2004, 11:12 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to lexxity
Default Re: New to Cunard?

in answer to your question about how formal, i would say very. Tuxedos and eveing gown for formal, dark suit and dressy cocktail attire for informal and no jeans on casual. They are really strict in the restaurants about the dress code. The dress codes really do lend themselves to the ship, you don't ever feel overdressed onboard. the atmosphere is very elegant, yet fun as well. You will love it.

Queen Elizabeth 2 - Trans-Atlantic 2001
Queen Mary 2 - Caribbean - 2004
Queen Mary 2 - Mediterranean - 2004

QM2 Transatlantic
QE2 40th Anniversary Round Britain Cruise.
Old August 31st, 2004, 02:59 PM
CruisingBryan

Actually, on the QE 2 in 2003 we were horrified to see very casual dress allowed in the caronia dining room at dinner. Previously, the maitre d' would have intercepted such folks at the entry foyer, but on this cruise they didn't seem to care.....a pity as it reflects on those people who take the time and effort to dress nicely, particularly the ladies.
Old August 31st, 2004, 08:34 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to DocM1
Default Re: Re: New to Cunard?

Is the dress code allowed to be more "relaxed" on the short cruises as opposed to the Crossings? On our two crossings on the QE2, I didn't see anyone not dressed properly for dinner -not always in a tux for the men but most women were in long evening wear.

I do believe that since it is well advertised that this is a "dressy" ship - that Cunard should hold the line. If you are not properly attired,then the Maitre D should not allow entry into the dining rooms in the evening.
Old September 6th, 2004, 04:32 PM
johnmarkrussell

Just returned 9/4 from QE2 7 day Gallic Getaway and in the Mauritania they were enforcing the men's dress code. I watched the maitre d' send a guy back for his tie one evening.

We had to wear coat and tie 6 of 7 nights; one night was just coat. While I believe everyone should observe the posted dress code, I think casual would be more appropriate on the 1st and last night of any cruise; just my opionion and I like to dress for dinner.
Old September 8th, 2004, 01:40 PM
The other Jon

Hi John Mark Russell

Hope you enjoyed your trip.

What was the quality of food and service like? Have standards slipped in the last couple of years? My QE2 trip last year did not live up to previous standards and I am hoping things will be better on my planned November trip this year.

I think it is good that the dress code is enforced myself. It is probably more of an issue for the ladies of course, to me putting on one suit is much like another.

Travelling across the ocean by ship is archaic, but also the only way to travel. When I travel by Cunard I am expecting to return to the days of the Queen Mary or the Titanic, the dress code is part of this, not that I was even arround in those days!

Jon
Old September 14th, 2004, 09:27 AM
kjw

Hiya

I was also on the Gallic Getaway cruise (M - standard) and as a first cruise found it very enjoyable. I had read many reviews beforehand about the falling standards on the QE2 and so went prepared and felt that the ship was like a comfy old jumper - yet full of grace and heritage. As for the food and service we were blessed with Gibson & Milap on our sitting (could well be worth requesting their station - they really are excellent at their jobs and good company)
Old October 13th, 2004, 10:42 PM
M & M

New to Cunard.........Just booked for Feb. 26. I agree with the dress code importance. We like to dress for dinner but rarely find anyone in Nebraska who agrees with us. However, I don't own a tux and don't want to carry one with me if I did. Can one rent a tux on board? When will we get all the info which might include this kind of information?

Also, what is the cunard liquor policy relative to your favorite bottle in your stateroom? Can you buy in tje ship's store and take it to your room? Can you bring it abaord with you? Will it be confiscated if you bring it aboard from a day in port?

Pretty important stuff

Thanks
monty
Old October 14th, 2004, 07:42 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: New to Cunard?

have you found out about the drinks in cabin

Post Edited (10-14-04 07:44)
Old October 14th, 2004, 10:45 AM
Passenger

I was one QM2 a few weeks ago and we looked at the price of the rental tuxs. Expensive. You will be much better off buying one used and taking it with you. A tux does not take up that much room in your bag and you will find it well worth it. You can leave it behind if you do not want to lug it home.

You can bring on your own liquor and drink in your room. You can also buy on board. Room service also has a long list of liquor.
Old January 14th, 2005, 02:23 PM
CruisingBryan

We always take wine and champagne aboard and, this time, will also bring a bottle of gin for an occasional G and T. Suggest packing in luggage as opposed to in a carry on "just in case" there is a change in the rules and they are not allowing it.