CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Cunard (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cunard/)
-   -   QM2 and Queens Grill (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cunard/213503-qm2-queens-grill.html)

kellyroberts October 12th, 2004 05:01 PM

QM2 and Queens Grill

Some family members are cruising on Oct 31 and saved for a long time to get a QG room. How many formal nights are there on a crossing? Will they fit in with the other QG passengers, seeing they are middle class, hard working people and not part of the super rich who might usually cruise in the QG class? Do the QG passengers dress more formally and expensively than those in the other restaurants?

A&C October 13th, 2004 07:51 PM

Re: QM2 and Queens Grill

I could not see any "class" distinction anywhere on the QM2. No ones knows (or cares) what your class is, so I would encourage them to enjoy it to the max! My husband and I were lucky enough to enjoy a QG crossing, and everyone in our dining area was very nice, interesting and not at all worried about anyone's income bracket. There were 2 formal nights scheduled, but we dressed more formally on all four nights (inlcuding the two informal). I didn't see anyone displaying a lavish amount of expensive jewelry or even sequined gowns in the QG- in fact it seemed rather understated compared to some of the other guests I saw in the Britannia grill. There was even one couple who's luggage didn't make the crossing, so he rented a tux and wore sneakers, and she had to make an evening purse of a black shopping bag. (it actually worked well). No one said anything, nor treated them with any disrespect. In fact, most did the opposite to accomodate them.

I'm sure your family will fit in just fine, and will have a fabulous time in both the QG and the voyage. .Everyone is a queen or king on QM2...8-)

Gabriel October 14th, 2004 01:16 PM

Re: Re: QM2 and Queens Grill

What a very nice note, A&C. I had thought about many of the same issues that Kelly raised in anticipation of the Princess Grill Caribbean voyage my wife and I will be taking in January. Thank you.

A&C October 15th, 2004 02:59 PM

Glad I could help and hope you also have a fabulous time. I have heard that the Princess Grill is also fabulous, with many of the same "perks" as the QG.

I really echo a lot of the other comments I have seen in this message board, which is to go and have fun. Pretend you don't work 40+ hours/week, wear the nicer clothes you don't normally get a chance to wear, and enjoy being served and entertained. It was a wonderful escape for my husband and me in June- we really needed to step outside our normal routine for a while.

djcruiser October 15th, 2004 06:46 PM

we r also in Queen's Grill for Oct. 31 and don't really know what to expect either as this is our first time.. and we had to save also to have the crossing for our wedding anniversary.. Nov. 2.. I did purchase a tux which was cheaper than renting.. haven't worn one since high school and college proms.. Dayne and Paige Johnson

carol November 16th, 2004 04:01 PM

A waiter who has worked in all dining rooms on the QE2 made this comment to me. The jewels are genuine in the Queens Grill and not from QVC!!! LOL