Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 17th, 2004, 07:47 PM
Passenger

Default Barbados Excursions

Frommer Recommends seeing Harrison Cave in Barbados. Is that a good shore excursion? Is there alot of walking? They mention trams in the description. My mother has trouble walking - just want to see if she can handle this one.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old November 11th, 2004, 10:31 AM
toras

Default Re: Barbados Excursions

I was there during a Princess cruise. There is no walking, you get on a tram and it takes you through the caves. But it was not spectacular. And the ONLY place you can take a picture or video is at the "underground waterfall", which if I recall was only about a foot wide. In a word: disappointing. Actually looking through Cunard's brochure there is not an excursion that looks interesting to me in Barbados.
Old November 11th, 2004, 12:38 PM
Passenger

I agree, we could not find one that looked great at all. Fodors book recommended seeing Harison's Cave.
Old November 11th, 2004, 01:41 PM
Jonathan Peters

Last year we travelled on the Queen Elizabeth 2 for the Christmas Cruise. One of the highlights was our stop in Barbados. Cunard offered an excursion aboard an off road jeep. It was NOT a treacherous ride in any way, just gave you a beautiful birds eye view of the terrain and the countryside, plus a short detour through the rain forest.

I don't know if the other cruise lines offer this excursion. I think anyone would enjoy it. All of the island Jeep Guides go by the name of "Junior". They also cart along a fine homemade punch which goes down very smooth.

Barbados is a gorgeous spot, hope you have a fine trip there and a great cruise.

Cruiserking
Old November 12th, 2004, 08:43 AM
ERW

I also took the off-road jeep excursion in Barbados during the Christmas Cruise in 2001. Enjoyed it very much. And the punch helps make the ride a little less bumpy!

If I remember correctly this tour does the Caribbean and Atlantic coasts - two completely different experiences.
Old December 3rd, 2004, 10:41 AM
Linda Hicks

Default Re: Re: Barbados Excursions

I noticed that two of you have sailed on the Christmas cruise. I am booked on the QE2 Christmas cruise and I will be travelling with my 8-year old daughter. I have been wondering if the ship is decorated nicely for Christmas and if there are special Christmas festivities. It is quite important when you are travelling with a child and I haven't found very much info on this holiday at all. I would appreciate your help. The Cunard office is not very helpful either as they said that all festivities are planned onboard and they have no information.

18 days to sailing!
Thanks,
Linda
Old December 3rd, 2004, 12:30 PM
erw

Default Re: Re: Re: Barbados Excursions

From what I remember there were a number of trees decorated around the ship and they had a gingerbread village set up in the ballroom.

I know they had Christamas Eve services (Anglican and Catholic). But overall I didn't think it felt that "Christmas-y". But I may have missed a lot of the holiday festivities and I would imagine the nanny program would be doing special programs (there were quite a number of children of all ages on board). Your child will enjoy the Christmas dinner complete with crackers full of toys and receiving a Christmas present and basket of goodies from Cunard in the cabin.

I really enjoyed the cruise and hope you all will too!
Old December 3rd, 2004, 03:45 PM
Linda Hicks

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Barbados Excursions

Thank you so much, erw. That was a big help! I am relieved to know there is something special happening. Do you remember seeing anyone dressed as Santa Claus anywhere?
Old December 7th, 2004, 08:23 AM
erw

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Barbados Excursions

Don't remember seeing Santa Claus while on board, but the Cunard office should be able to tell you if that is something they have done in the past.