Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 1st, 2004, 02:06 PM
Beginner

Default Inside cabin vs. outside

My wife and are I planning to book a transatlantic crossing in 2005. The rates we are being quoted by Cunard vary substantially. Has anyone been in one of the inside cabins and can they comment what they are like. Is it worth paying the extra to get an outside cabin? Also, I noticed that Cunard offers a lot of discounts as it gets closer to the date of a cruise/crossing. Is there any advantage of booking well in advance or does it make more sense to wait and pick up the bargains? Any thoughts on these subjects would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old November 1st, 2004, 03:36 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Inside cabin vs. outside

I recommend that if this is your first QM2 crossing you go with a four deck outside cabin. (Eight deck outsides have very obstructed views.)

I was on in September and had an inside cabin -- which I liked, but if this was my first time, I would go with an outside. A friend had an outside and loved getting up at night and going out to look at the moon and the ocean. It is well worth the extra $$ for first time crossers.

As for waiting to book, that depends on how much you want to go. It's a numbers game and the numbers might not be in your favor if you wait.

Last year, I booked many months ahead for a QE2 crossing and got a reasonable price. A friend waited for "the bargains" and when he went to book, the same grade cabin I had booked was now twice the price! So it does not always work out in your favor.

You always hear about people who got the deal of a lifetime by waiting, but you have to ask yourself whether you are doing the trip to enjoy the QM2 or to brag what a bargain you got (or didn't get).

My thoughts -- if you want to go, book now and book an outside.

Marc
marcdthompson@yahoo.com
Old November 3rd, 2004, 12:32 PM
MARY LOBUE

I was on the Queen Mary 2 in July and I had a insude cabin. That was fine and I enjoyed the cabin. I always try to book inside because of the drastic savings. You will spend alot of extra money for transportation, drinks and maybe excursions. The wine tasting costs around $25.00 per person. Also with the extra savings you save, you can spend hundreds of dollars in the CANYON RANCH SPA.
I think of it this way, I always book a cheap room and thats why I go on two or three cruises a year. I really don't think the Queen Mary 2 is worth the extra money for any outside cabin. Also, other lines only charge $125.00 per person for a outside cabin for a seven day voyage.
Old November 26th, 2004, 12:01 PM
EH

Our trip on the QM2 last summer was our first and we booked an inside cabin. It was extremely nice. We were on Deck six, so we were just a quick flight of stairs from the Promendade deck if we wanted to see or go outside. For the money we saved, we thought the inside cabin was worth it.
Old November 27th, 2004, 05:59 AM
Noel and Carole

We were on the Jan 12 2004 QM2 trip and had an inside cabin. When you consider, seas can get rough, an inside cabin in the middle not to high up can;t be beat. At least you can get to sleep. Just ask anyone who had the suits under the bridge what it was like in a 40 ft swell. Besides we only spent about 6 hours there in total, 5 to sleep and 1 to get changed and ready...
Old November 27th, 2004, 10:36 PM
Familiar Face

Am I to assume correctly that you are referring to a crossing in 2005 on the QM2?
We had a hull balcony last March to the Caribbean and it was wonderful because we could go outside in the warm weather and also see the ports, etc.
In May, we did the crossing and had an atrium cabin which was fine for that as there's nothing to see except ocean (smile)!
Old November 28th, 2004, 07:39 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to lexxity

we have a transatlatic crossing booked for next october and have opted for an inside, because it will probably be to cold to get good use out of a balcony, if it is a warmer month i would recommend a balcony. We had one round the med' and it was well worth having.

Queen Elizabeth 2 - Trans-Atlantic 2001
Queen Mary 2 - Caribbean - 2004
Queen Mary 2 - Mediterranean - 2004

QM2 Transatlantic
QE2 40th Anniversary Round Britain Cruise.
Old November 28th, 2004, 03:51 PM
Passenger

I had an inside on deck five (center ship). I was a great location, convenient to everything. During rough weather is was great - say center ship and not too high up. We did not spend that much time in the cabin. There were so many places to explore and get aquainted with on the ship - why stay inside. The ship also never seemend crowded. There are plenty of deck chairs to watch the sun set and the money you save will be better spent elsewhere.
Old November 28th, 2004, 10:08 PM
toras

I've cruised a few times on an inside cabin. After my head hits the pillow, the next thing I know it's time to get up. But it was my uncle's first time and being inside he doesn't know whether it's day or night, he kept waking up to check his watch to see if he's overslept, thus ending up with not enough sleep.
Old November 28th, 2004, 11:49 PM
mary2645

Just got off the 11-16 sailing. I had an inside cabin and my folks had an outside cabin. They loved sitting out on the hull balcony and taking a little siesta when they got tired. But the last night of the cruise with all the wind and the rough seas there was so much noise and wind whipping through the door that they found it difficult to sleep.
Old January 3rd, 2005, 02:31 PM
John Hooper

We just found out we were upgraded to 8 deck obstructed view.... cabin #1008 listed as the last aft cabin with an obstructed view....
Can you see anything but the lifeboat? I think I'd rather have just had the unobstructed window on 4deck

John
Old January 3rd, 2005, 05:39 PM
Ken Thomas

Default Re: Re: Inside cabin vs. outside

Hello John,

We were in cabin 8018. The first lifeboat was in front of us, but if you looked right it was a partial view with a splendid view of the bridge. Also deck 8 has the library and a pool which I made much use of. We had such a wonderful time in November, that we have booked the Mediterranean cruise in May. The crew and the service were exceptional. Have a wonderful time.