Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 8th, 2004, 04:27 PM
Sid James

Default QM2 A marvelous experience

Just returned from the New Yorkers 26 Nov Caribbean trip . The staff and crew were brilliant, bending over backwards to please. The nosh was a gastronomic delight and with
Master Wright at the tiller the sailing was as smooth as his nightly address and weather report. So if anyone has any of those pre cruise jitters and to quote Douglas Adams "Don't Panic" sit back and enjoy its great .
Sponsored Links
Old December 21st, 2004, 01:01 PM
First Mate

Default Re: QM2 A marvelous experience

So glad to hear you had a good time. I have to admit, some of the reviews make me nervous. But we are easy to please...... will be doing the Transatlantic crossing from Southampton in May...
Old December 22nd, 2004, 02:49 PM
John Hooper

Very nervous here about our Jan 08 Carribean on QM2.....taking my 84 year old Mother and the reviews have been so HORRIBLE......

Should we plan to eat breakfast at the buffet everyday or wait an hour for eggs in the dining room?

Thanks
Old December 22nd, 2004, 05:31 PM
Ken Thomas

Default Re: Re: QM2 A marvelous experience

Another option would be room service. We only had lunch in the stateroom but it was excellent.
Old December 28th, 2004, 07:37 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to lexxity

We never had to wait to long for any breakfast item in the dining room, but we mainly opted for room service breakfast, much more civilised than an alarm clock!

Queen Elizabeth 2 - Trans-Atlantic 2001
Queen Mary 2 - Caribbean - 2004
Queen Mary 2 - Mediterranean - 2004

QM2 Transatlantic
QE2 40th Anniversary Round Britain Cruise.
Old January 14th, 2005, 04:14 PM
Hanne

It is always interesting to read different views and opinions... I am booked Jan 22 /05 one more week ...... and I hope to enjoy every minute... I cannot imagine anything being "horrible " as it could refer to the trip experience.
Old January 15th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Passenger

I am debating whether or not to book. I just received a brochure in the mail today. They have 4 seperate weeks from NY to the Caribbean. I was wondering if it was really worth it. We've cruised Carnival, Royal, Radison, and Crystal. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old January 29th, 2005, 03:14 PM
maryanne

We had a great cruise [our first cruise] aboard the QM2 . The other cruise company prices seem to be much cheaper accross the board . Are the cheaper cruises on par with Cunard in style, quality, comfort , service etc? Or are Cunard just much more expensive?
Old January 31st, 2005, 02:45 AM
Marco

Maryanne, I think Cunard are charging a premium over other cruise brands for two reasons. Firstly the QM2 is still a very popular ship although some prices have been coming down where occupancy is still lower than desired as some cruise dates approach. Secondly the ship is more expensive to operate on a gross tonnage/berth ratio as passengers each have more space than any comparable ship. Where there have been complaints these most commonly come from past passengers of QE2 who were expecting a similar ambience. The experience on QM2 is not the same as QE2 it is similar in a number of ways but just different. My partner and I had a fantastic trip on the Maiden Voyage and I am returning on the 12th Feb Carribean cruise and can't wait.
Old February 3rd, 2005, 04:29 PM
Williwam

We sailed on the QM2 over Christmas/New Years and we were somewhat disappointed. The ship itself is just outstanding but with the weak dollar many Europeans are sailing the QM2 and for many it is there first cruise of any kind. Quite a few of the passengers were inconsiderate smokers and many were just loud and obnoxious. It was what I would have expected on Carnival, but not on the QM2. A young man had lunch in the Queens Grill wearing a baseball cap; not a pretty picture. A family of 21 with several (undisciplined) toddlers fed their children off of the tablecloths rather than use the plates provided and again, this was in the Queens Grill. All the staff could do was roll their eyes, but for the rest of us, it certainly put a dampner on what should have been a wonderful and gracious dining experience.

Our waiter was on his first contract and had never served on ship before. (Crystal requires that a new crewmember have at least two years experience with another cruise line before they will be considered for employment.) He was not happy with his pay or the tipping process. Most of the crew and European or African and as the dollar weakens their pay actually decreases as they are paid in dollars.

Granted we were on a holiday cruise and I would not expect our experience to be typical; but we were disappointed.
Old February 3rd, 2005, 09:10 PM
mavonsal

I'm going to be on that crossing as well... I have you heard anything about stuff to do for younger people... say 18-23?
Old February 4th, 2005, 02:20 AM
Cruise Maniac

i agree with Williwam., we did the 11 sept crossing on QM2....fabulous ship., very well presented., the service was fantastic and the atmosphere was everything you would accept. The food was supurb and we saw little of what many people had complained about. What spoilt it for us was the other passengers on board., there seemed to be a lot of inconsiderate and people treating the ship like a "butlands" or in american terms asummer camp with no idea of how to dress or present themselves.Pity..the ship deserved more but we are happy to rejoin the QE2. Shes smaller but more intimate and friendly.
Old February 26th, 2005, 10:16 AM
Janet Hamlin

My friend and I have our deposit down on the Fall Splendor Cruise in September. We want to know if the negative stories are true, unhappy employees, engines breaking down, food not up to par etc. Hopefully, things will have been worked out by the time we go. Other cruises have rude people also, drinking too much, undisciplined children, not dressing up for special occasions and more. I want to know how this ship is as far as all around comfort, meals,entertainment, rooms and staff. If you have cruised on this ship in 2005, please let me know how it was. Thanks.
Old February 26th, 2005, 08:38 PM
Bob228

My wife and I accompanied my mother on the 2/5/05 Caribean cruise. We booked two P1 junior suites but were upgraded (no - I don't know why) at check-in to two Q5 suites. Both suites (9055 & 9059) were beatiful, spacious, and comfortable - and - additionally - the views were not partially obstructed by lifeboats (as many of the other deck nine suites were). We liked everything about this cruise. Almost everyone we encountered was pleasant. Most memorable were Leandra and Cameron in the Queens Grill lounge; Marc, Quinton & Sasha in The Queens Grill; Adelle & Jerry in the fitness center; Primo - our Butler; and Marc - our Sommalier.

The food was excellent. We did order mainly off the ala carte menu which is all prepared to order (the Dover Sole was AAA). However, we did try Todd English (good - but not great), the 7th floor lido-like restaurants, and room service, and found them good. At a wine tasting, I sat next to a Scottish Lady who was very complementary about the Britannia restaurant and food.

We pre booked most Canyon Ranch Salon, Spa and Personal Training appointments. I had a personal trainer early every morning and enjoyed every session. The facilities are terrific. My wife had one bad massage and I had one bad reflexology treatment. However, all other massages and salon treatments were very good.

The trip was centered around my mother's 80th birthday and she had a wonderful time. I think that I can have a great time on that ship in any cabin category. But I do think the overall experiences would be different (Grille and Brittania)
Old March 3rd, 2005, 04:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

Bob, I was interested to hear that you pre booked your treatments with Canyon Ranch. Did you do that on board or with Cunard?

We are sailing on the 10th April to Southampton and I will need to have my hair done at least once on the trip...thanks

vikki
Old March 3rd, 2005, 06:14 PM
Passenger

To pre book the Canyon Ranch I believe the number is 1-866-860-4662. Canyon Ranch is who you book through last I knew. You can only book 2 weeks in advance of sailing and have to be staying in the Q category. Not sure about B or P. Definitely can't with D. Saw your post and thought I'd offer what I knew. Good luck.

Old March 3rd, 2005, 09:47 PM
Bob228

Default Re: Re: Re: QM2 A marvelous experience

Vikki, I originally thought about pre-booking after reading a message on this board (Wirt - 1/13/05). You can find the message easiest by using the 'search' feature and plugging in 'canyon ranch'.

We were originally booked in P1 and were only upgraded at the debarcation check-in. As such, I know the pre-booking was available to non Q5. As Wirt said, I would guess anyone can pre-book and that it is only promoted to Grille passengers. As I recall, I initiated the pre-booking by calling Cunard (1-800-7 CUNARD) - which then properly directed me.

I would suggest that you obtain the Guides to Services by downloading it from the (Canyon Ranch - Spa Club - QM2) Website. Sea days / formal-nights are the heavy booking times. I also think that pre-booking is designed for more than 2 weeks out - and they try to cut it off within that 2 week period. Have a great trip !!!

Bob
Old March 4th, 2005, 10:47 PM
Passenger

I called the Canyon Ranch today and the person I spoke with said I have to wait to book until 2 weeks out . Maybe it is a very common case of, depending who answers the phone has a different answer, type of thing. I'll keep trying. I f anyone has had success, and their voyage is further out, please let me know who you spoke to and how you got in touch with them. I would really appreciate it.
Old June 24th, 2005, 03:39 PM
marryanne

We have just arrived back from the QM2 and loved every minute of it