Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 29th, 2004, 01:18 PM
Beginner

Default QM2 Departure Times

Hello. I am booked on the QM2's Mariner's Caribbean on March 25, 2005. I would like to go out on deck on watch the ship depart New York Harbor, and I was wondering if this will be possible if I have the early seating in Britannia. Could anyone tell me what the normal departure time is from New York for this type of itinerary?
Sponsored Links
Old December 29th, 2004, 03:41 PM
Passenger

Default Re: QM2 Departure Times

QM2 departs NYC at 5 pm. If you are in the early seating you generally need to arrive at the Britannia by 6:15 pm. Much nicer to watch the sail away and not be rushed.

You might consider skipping Britannia altogether on your first night and opt instead for dinner in one of the alternative dining spots on deck 7, Lotus, the Carvery, La Piazza or the Chef's Galley. You might even try your luck at getting a reservation at Todd English for your first night at sea.

My girlfriend and I are sailing on QM2 on March 9, 2005. She has never cruised before and is eager to watch the sights leaving New York Harbor. We are planning on trying the tasting menu at Lotus for our first evening, I hear very positive things about this Pan-Asian restaurant. Dinner reservations can be made from your television in your room. Although I still prefer to make them in person with the Maitre D.

I sailed QM2 this past July and I'm counting the days to return. She is a fabulous ship. Have a great trip.

-Cruiserking

Post Edited (12-29-04 15:43)

Old December 31st, 2004, 11:46 PM
Beginner

Thank you so much for all of your help. Usually we like to settle into "our table" on the first evening of ech cruise so we'll probably just stop by Britannia a bit later if need be.
Old January 1st, 2005, 10:26 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: QM2 Departure Times

Happy New Year!

After doing some further QM2 research I've learned that the Kings' Court dining venues are not open on the first and last evening of a voyage.

So it appears the best thing to do is watch the sailaway from your own balcony or the observation deck (deck 11) then arrive at the Britannia Restaurant around 6:30 pm or so.

I too look forward to that first supper at sea, very dramatic and exciting.

-Cruiserking

Old January 7th, 2005, 11:09 PM
Nancy S

We are also on 3/25/05 cruise. We wil be with 2 other couples, maybe 3, going with an inside D5. Early seating as well. We sailed out of NYC last year to Bermuda. It's not to be missed! I'm sure our waiters will forgive us if we are a few minutes late. We have sailed RCI 3 times, Celebrity once adn NCL to Hawaii. Saw the QM2 on TV when it first came to NYC and knew we had to go! I'm OCD about travel, any info on QM2 will be appreciated!
Old January 8th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Beginner

Nancy S, I feel the same way about sailing out of NYC. Not that we would be rudely late to dinner, but I agree that being a few minutes late wouldn't be the end of the world.