Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 9th, 2005, 09:28 PM
Passenger

Default Dining in the Queens/Princess Grills

SInce dining in these two are, I believe, open seating, when you arrive do they seat you and then you wait for others to join before you order or??? Do you have assigned seating but not assigned times? We will be in the Queens Grill in May on a transatlantic so just wondering
Sponsored Links
Old January 10th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Wirt

Default Re: Dining in the Queens/Princess Grills

Seating is assigned for dinner, but you can order between 7 and 9. The waiters do their best to make it a simultaneous event, but sometimes it just doesn't work out. The service and food are excellent (in the Princess Grill, anyway), and the staff does its best to arrange for compatible tablemates.
Old January 10th, 2005, 11:40 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Dining in the Queens/Princess Grills

thanks so much... so you sit at the same table each evening, and have the same table partners but you can show up whenever you like? I'm going to guess, if you like your table mates you sort of agree on a time and if you don't you can wait until they leave...:-)
Old January 10th, 2005, 12:00 PM
Wirt

Default Re: Re: Re: Dining in the Queens/Princess Grills

Our tablemates and my wife and I never agreed on a specific time for dinner. But it worked out smoothly somehow, even though we all never ordered at the same time.

The maitre d' (apparently on his own) did some table shuffling after the first night and so, from the second night onward, we had a very compatible group at our table. It amazed me how insightful he was, and how it was obviously his intention to make everyone happy. If you are displeased with your tablemates for any reason, don't hesitate to speak to him about it.

For lunch, by the way, we always sat at a table for two.
Old January 10th, 2005, 12:22 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Dining in the Queens/Princess Grills

thanks,,,, have only once asked the maitre d' to change our table(on another cruise line) once and he was extremely helpful...In fact we were in a suite on HAL and we had our concierge ask for us... so i would not hesitate to ask, but so often we have been really lucky and have even kept up with several of our tablemates after our cruises. thanks again for your help. Did you and your wife love your cruise? where and when was it?Will you do a Cunard again?
Old January 10th, 2005, 08:15 PM
Wirt

My wife and I LOVED the cruise--which was just last week, in the Caribbean. This makes the third Cunard voyage we've taken, the first on Caronia, and now two on the QM2.

The Princess-level cabin is very spacious and beautifully set up, with great lighting, a big bathroom, tons of closet space, and a large veranda. The steward was perfect, almost invisible, and yet looking after us in a totally unobtrusive way. The P.G. Restaurant was excellent in every way.

My only real criticism of the cruise was the disorganized embarkation process in Fort Lauderdale--we had to stand for hours with no explanation from anyone from Cunard. Our tickets gave a 12 noon embarkation time, but the terminal remained locked until after 1 o'clock. When we finally made it onto the ship, we had to find our own way to our cabin, and only two of the elevators were operating. In New York, by comparison, the embarkation process was virtually flawless. I should also note my other criticism: the change in ports from San Juan, Puerto Rico (I've never been there) to Tortola, a hot, dirty poverty-stricken place.

Once we found our cabin, we headed down for lunch in the Princess Grill Restaurant, and I knew immediately this would be a great voyage. From that moment on, the trip was sublimely wonderful. Even during our port days, all we really wanted to do was to be on the ship. There's lots to do (or not to do), the ship is spotlessly clean, every staff member bends over backwards to be helpful - - it was just great.

When we flew out of Fort Lauderdale late Saturday afternoon, we could see the QM2 still at dock in Port Everglades. My wife said, "Some new passengers are probably in 'our' cabin," and her eyes welled over. Today, I returned to the office, but I spent a good part of the day gazing out the window at the leaden skies and the bleak January snowscape. Hard to believe that 72 hours ago, we were in a world of color and beauty and unparalleled comfort. Guess it's time to plan another cruise . . .
Old January 10th, 2005, 09:48 PM
Passenger

It is definitly time to book another...:-) our last cruise in September we stayed an extra day in Vancouver at the Pan Pacific and flew over to Vancouver Island for the afternoon. As we landed back in Vancouver that afternoon, we were right by the ship and they were conducting the lifebaot drill and we could hear it. I was ready to jump right back on. It seemed like it was still 'our' ship. It is hard when you see the ship after you leave. We have a beach home in Galveston and quite often on Saturday if i drive into town I hear the ships loading and unloading. There are not any first class cruises out of Galveston yet ,so it is not as tempting, but still...I have decided the only way i can stand to get off a ship, is to have the next cruise booked. We have two booked for this year and i am already looking at a Mediterranian cruise for 2006. No itineraries out yet, but hope to have one booked by this summer so when we get back from a cruise in October i will have one to look forward to. I see why they can sell cruises on cruises. That is odd that there was trouble embarking in Fort Luaderdale. I have taken several cruises from there-not on Cunard though. Is Cunard the only line you have traveled on.? SOunds like this last trip was great. Was your first one on the QM2 as nice? Bet you call your travel agent soon or look online,whichever you do. We are in HOuston so it is 78 here today but we did have snow in Galveston for Christmas..a record...
Old January 12th, 2005, 09:23 PM
sb

Just received my "spa" menu from Canyon Ranch. This is a wonderful treat to be able to register for spa services in advance. The notice said it was an option for grill passengers. These accomodations are getting better and better
Old January 13th, 2005, 11:32 AM
Wirt

Actually, any passenger can pre-book for the spa, but pre-booking is apparently only promoted to Grill passengers. Call the Canyon Ranch 800 number, and I believe one of the options if for QM2. They stop pre-booking a few weeks prior to the sailing date,
Old January 14th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Passenger

I am thinking about a Princess Grill room. Can I ask about the food:

-- Is there free caviar in the Princess Grill or Queen's Grill? In each case, is it unlimited servings and what type of caviar is offered?

-- What experience do members have with special requests for ingredients?

-- Is the food quality the same in Princess Grill and Queen's Grill? What is the food quality like?