Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 3rd, 2005, 09:13 PM
mvpilot

Default QM2 for young people

I am a 21 year old male who just graduated college and my graduation present was a transatlantic cruise on the Queen Mary 2 in May. I have been doing some research on the Queen Mary 2 and I canít seem to find any information on how the ship caters to a younger crowd. Most of the reviews I found were from older people and families with little kids. My family bought the cancellation insurance, so I just want to know if itís worth me going or if Iím going to be bored out of my mind. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old February 3rd, 2005, 10:33 PM
First Mate

Default Re: QM2 for young people

Hi Mvpilot, I don't think the cancellation policy covers the "I don't want to go's", you must have a valid doctors excuse, I'm pretty sure. Cancellation penalties within 120 days are pretty steep, 10% on up as the sailing time gets closer.

As for age group, I think the crowd will be older in general; definitely not 21 year olds. How many 21 yo's can afford to spend $2500 on a 6 day cruise?

But it will be an opportunity to sail the world famous cruise liner, you may not find a husband/wife/gf/bf, but I'm sure you will have memories to last a lifetime
Old February 4th, 2005, 10:35 AM
jpdsf

I say go on the crossing. It's a rare opportunity and there's enough activities to do on board,combined with eating and relaxing to keep you occupied. I went on the December crossing of the QE2 and had a great time, though I am twenty years older than you! Still there were some young people on board and maybe you should try and be flexible enough to socialize with some old folks in their 30's and 40's and you'll be fine.
Old February 4th, 2005, 06:35 PM
Passenger

hey- i am 23 and went on a 14 day cruise this summer with my mother and grandmother on the QE2 and i had the best time ever. i would say the average age of the passengers was about 70...and the "younger" 30 something people on the ship were all married- but just like anything in life your crossing will be whatever you make it. i hung out with the crew the entire time and am still in contact with many of them today. i would say without a doubt go on the crossing with an open mind....and even if it sucks at least you'll have been on the QM2!
Old February 5th, 2005, 12:54 AM
NYJulie

That what I was wondering, I am going in march, and I was afride that I am going to be bored out of my mind. I have been on cruise before that was more for older people but I at least had my cousins, this year it just me in the folks, they miss there college kid. I am thinking since it during a spring break time there will be people my age, but if not I guess I catch up with some older people, they alway have a lot stories(to bad you were not going in march).
Old February 5th, 2005, 02:50 AM
Marco

I sailed on QE2 when I was 28 once (I am 40 now !) and had the best time of my life, there were others on board near my age. They used to hold a "singles" event which was attended by quite a few old ladies and a sprinkling of younger people, so we all banded together and had a great time. I was put on the hotel managers table and got invited to several officers cocktail parties which was good fun.

It is quite daunting to go alone but much more rewarding as you never knnow what will happen ! Go with an open mind and see what lies in store ! Any younger people on board will search you out !.

Have fun
Old February 10th, 2005, 11:50 AM
MARY LOBUE

I took my son last year on the Queen Mary 2 and he was 17 years old... He was bored out of his mind. He worked out for 1 hour in the gym...Then what is next!!!
He is used to the fun ships of Carnival where he can find kids his age. I went on the Queen Elizabeth 2 over 20 times without any children and would never bring a 21 year old on board..
All I can tell you is to drink alot and you don't have to drive home..You really have to go with a few friends to be guaranteed a good time..
Old February 10th, 2005, 01:29 PM
Passenger

Cruising on either the QE2 or the QM2 provides an entirely different experience than the ďfun ships of carnivalĒ could ever hope to provide. I expect a 21 year old college graduate would appreciate the experience in a different way than someone who is 17. Once again I say go!
Old February 10th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Gabriel

Default Re: Re: QM2 for young people

I've been following this thread for a few days now. The people who write in to these chat room are really so very nice.

Sorry I can't say the same thing about MVPilot.

It's sad that a 21-year-old is unsure if he should take the trip of a lifetime--a voyage that really, most people in the world can only dream about and will never be able to afford--BECAUSE THERE MIGHT NOT BE ENOUGH PASSENGERS IN HIS AGE GROUP???? BECAUSE IT MIGHT BE BORING?????????

We're talking a week, right???

What an ingrate!! Maybe MVPilot should donate his trip to someone with some curiousity about life. What the hell did he learn in college? To only associate with his age-peers? It will certainly be interesting to see how MVPilot adjusts to all the "boring" people he'll need to associate with (and be subordinate to, and cooperate with) when he gets a job--that is, if anyone makes the mistake of hiring someone who's so obviously ignorant.
Old February 10th, 2005, 05:30 PM
NYJulie

After reading that last respond. I am shock that anyone would say that about a person that they don't even know. I would like to state the fact that you have no business saying that about anyone. If you had said that to me I would have to think that you are crazy and that you need to show off to someone of younger age. I would like to state that you need to act your age. Do you know anything about that person background to even say that. I don't think you do.

In shock!!!!
Old February 10th, 2005, 05:53 PM
Passenger

While I've not been on the ship, I plan to go in the future.

My answer to you is... it's a gift. Go, try to have a good time, it's an experience. You'll get what you put into it: crap in, crap out.

This is an experience that is not likely to come up again. Why not try it? If you don't like it, you needn't book another voyage. But if you do like it... I can imagine that you'd want to do it again.

Again, I've not been on the ship, but it's one of my life goals. Just my $0.02 :-)

Old February 10th, 2005, 07:29 PM
Ken Thomas

Hello mvpilot,

We cruised on the QM2 last November and it was an incredible experience. So much so, that we have booked again for May. Along with meeting passengers of all ages I think you will enjoy talking to the crew, many in their 20's. They are from all over the world and we had some great conversations with them. But I think you will also find many passengers to be young at heart. It will be a great experience for you!

Best regards,

Ken
Old February 10th, 2005, 07:33 PM
Gabriel

I apologize if I shocked or offended anyone who participates in these postings.

I think the important and indeed shocking issue here is that our new college graduate is hesitant to take the trip because he might be BORED. A college education should open one's mind to new experiences, not close it down. If he had said he was afraid of the water, if he hated to travel, if he was going to miss his grilfriend, if he had to work, if he was subject to seasickness--I would be fully sympathetic. But fear of boredom just doesn't cut it for me.

I would hazard to guess that a majority of the correspondents see and likely agree with my points. And maybe if MVPilot reads some of these postings, perhaps he'll reflect for a few minutes on why he was given such a wonderful opportunity in the first place.
Old February 16th, 2005, 01:51 PM
E Reiner

I highly doubt you will be bored. I've made 8 crossings between the ages of 5 and 39 and enjoyed each one. I sailed the QM2 last year and am booked again for this Summer. You will find that the type of people who sail the Atlantic today are enthusiastic, vital, iconoclastic, friendly, imaginative, and of diverse backgrounds. It will be an adventure for you, and very luxurious, at that. Enjoy!
Old February 17th, 2005, 05:07 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to lexxity

We're 24 and 27 and have done one crossing and two cruises with cunard. I was 21 when i went on my first trip.

Queen Elizabeth 2 - Trans-Atlantic 2001
Queen Mary 2 - Caribbean - 2004
Queen Mary 2 - Mediterranean - 2004

QM2 Transatlantic
QE2 40th Anniversary Round Britain Cruise.
Old February 28th, 2005, 04:22 PM
mvpilot

Default Re: Re: Re: QM2 for young people

I still don't think it's very fair for you to continue to judge me the way you are. You have no idea who I am, where I come from, what my upbringings are, or what I do for fun.

I would really appreciate it if you stopped slamming me just because I would like more information about the cruise I'm about to take.
Old February 28th, 2005, 07:14 PM
Passenger

"...about the cruise about to take."

Does this mean that you're taking it? If so congrats, make sure to tell us your experience.

(btw... was "You" being used collectively to mean all of us? If so I apologize for any less than satisfactory conduct...)

Old February 28th, 2005, 10:52 PM
mvpilot

Yes, I have decided to take the cruise. It is a nice experience and I can always drink until the 70 year olds become hot =) (totally kidding).

(the term "you" is being directed towards Gabriel. Everyone else has been extremely nice and informative. I thank you all!)

-MVpilot
Old March 2nd, 2005, 08:55 AM
Myles

Hi MV Pilot,
Yes you should go, l first sailed solo at 17yrs on the QE2 in 86 for a round trip crossing and had a magical time, the people l met were amazing, the memories are still unforgetable have done a total of 9 trips on her all solo and would never think to go with somebody else,
So yes!!!! pack your luggage, and step aboard and and enjoy a cunard transatlantic crossing, l assure you its an experience you wont forget!!!!!!!!
cheers
Myles
when you do return it might be nice to hear your thoughts and comments