Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 18th, 2005, 12:18 PM
dp2005

Default Paying to upgrade?

Can anybody please help!!! My dilemma is the following- My brother is treating himself, his wife and our mother and father to a transatlantic crossing in a couple of months. They both have P2 junior suites and he paid 2,000 per person. Not wanting to miss out I booked myself and my wife an interior cabin at a cost of 1009 each. This did mean eating in a different restaurant but I couldn't afford suite!
Now along comes my savior in the form of my brother who says he will pay most of the difference to upgrade to junior suite. So I phone cunard and they tell me all P2 suites are sold out and there are only 6 P1 suites left, but they are 2,500 each. I totally object to paying an extra 1000 to have the exact same room as my brother who would be next door, so I am looking for alternatives.
1 Cruise is in 2 months. I think it is unlikely they will sell out of junior suites so with a week or so before the cruise does the price come down??
2 If you wait till you get onboard is it easy to pay to upgrade and if so do a lot of people do this? and does it tend to be cheaper? How much of a risk it?
3 I have noticed when you phone cunard the recorded message tells you that any price quoted is only valid for the duration of the call. This suggests to me that they sometimes offer discounts over the phone that are otherwise not advertised. Does anybody know how this works? In the example above where there is 1,000 difference between adjoining identical cabins, perhaps a supervisor has the authority to sweeten the deal.
Any help with any of the above would be greatly appreciated.
david
Sponsored Links
Old February 20th, 2005, 05:13 AM
J.P. Evans

Default Re: Paying to upgrade?

I would think that if you pay for an interior cabin and get upgraded, it will be to an outside cabin in a Britannia grade cabin The passengers that may get upgraded to a Princess grade cabin will be the ones who have booked one of the higher balcony categories such as B1 or B2.. I don't think Cunard would put you in Princess because the rest of the family is there. They seem pretty strict about who dines in the grill rooms. 2,000 pounds seems like a good buy to me. Given the value of the dollar vs. pound. I would say go for it if you want to be with your family.

J.P.