Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 13th, 2005, 07:28 AM
lisab

Default is upgrade to PG worth it?

Hi
can anyone help, i' ve booked a qm2 carrabean cruise for a suprise for my other half and i have recently inquired through our travel agent as to wether i would be able to upgrade my B1 cabin for a princess grill cabin, she has quoted a price of 2000-3000 extra on top of what i have already paid. Can anyone tell me wether this upgrade would infact be worth the money, i know that PG passangers use the seperate PG resurant but is that the only differance.
I am expecting a call back tomorrow to let her know wether i want to upgrade so any advice would be gratefully appreciated.
Thanks
Lisa
Sponsored Links
Old March 13th, 2005, 01:46 PM
wripro

Default Re: is upgrade to PG worth it?

lisab,

if you can afford the price of the upgrade i strongly suggest it. yes, you will be dining in the princess grill, which is not only a different restaurant from Brittania but a completely different experience. it is an intimate room with none of the hustle and bustle of a restaurant that must serve 1200 people in each sitting. you will be waited on by three people plus receive the attentions of a maitre d and assistant maitred. you can order anything you want off the menu. you can have caviar at every meal if you wish. altho many of the items on the menu are the same as brittania the quality and preparation and presentation are far superior. in addition you will have use of the queens grill lounge for tea, drinks or just plain relaxing. it is a lovely place to get away from the hordes. also there is the concierge lounge on deck 9 where they will assist you with anything you may need while on board (shore excursions for example...you wont have to stand in line at the pursers office) or pre or post cruise. in addition the size of your cabin will be 50% larger with a huge balcony which is very nice in the carribean. there is a walk in closet, a much larger bathroom and a large sofa. i was on two transatlantic crossings so didnt use the balcony much but in sunny climes the larger outdoor space will be a definite plus. in short, it does make a big difference if you are willing to pay the difference.
Old March 13th, 2005, 04:12 PM
L. Bari

The ship is new. The inside cabin rooms are wonderful. Our friends upgraded and they had a balcony. They complained because they weren't in their room enough to enjoy it. You will not be disappointed with any room you book
Old March 14th, 2005, 02:44 AM
Peter Jones

I booked a B1 before the SailAway discount went from 20% to 40% and so have ended up paying more than a P1 now is. Cunard have upgraded me, without prompting, to a P2, so if you've paid more than the average price for the B1 it might be worth hanging on to see if they'll upgrade you.
Old March 14th, 2005, 09:40 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to DocM1

Peter is the Sailaway discount the same as the Early Booking Discount?
Old March 14th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Peter Jones

Yes. Look at the Cunard .co.uk suffix rather than the .com one.
Old March 15th, 2005, 06:55 AM
PeteB

But be careful...... If you live in the US you have to visit cunard.com - and only look at the prices in cunard.co.uk if you live in the UK. (Air and other things affect the cruise price)
Old March 15th, 2005, 01:49 PM
Lisab

After much consideration i decided to go with the upgrade, however....... when i called the TA they said it would be an extra 2300 each, as i thought that this was a little extortionet i decided to call cunard direct incase they had sold out of PG cabins and the price was for a QG cabin, they advised me that there were plenty of PG cabins left and the upgrade would cost the differance between the price i had paid and the price qouted in the brouchure from which i booked my holiday. After this i called my TA back (as i could only upgrade through them) and told her what cunard had said and shortly after she called me back with a much more realistic price of 800 per person.
I'm not sure wether this was the TA or cunard but would advise anyone to double check any quotes which may seem a little odd.
Old March 17th, 2005, 07:27 AM
jford

WE FEEL THAT THE P CATEGORY 1S THE BEST BUY ON THE SHIP!! LARGER ROOM, A FEW PERCS!! BUT THE BEST IS THE DINING, GREAT FOOD AND EVEN GREATER SERVICE. BETTER THAN THE QUEENS GRILL (less people dining) .AND YOU CAN STILL USE THE QUEENS LOUNGE. RECENTLY CUNARD OFFERED A SPECIAL PURCHASE A B-2 AND THEY WOULD UPGRADE YOU TO A P-2 category enjoy your cruise
Old March 17th, 2005, 10:01 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to DocM1
Default Re: Re: is upgrade to PG worth it?

I'm reading about all these upgrades and now I'm beginning to wonder why I booked a B1 for a round trip - way back in July 04. We sail May 4th.

I'm wondering if I should voice my disapointment to Cunard that there are so many offers being made to entice occupancy, which is disapointing to those of us that have booked so far in advance - although ofcourse we did get the early booking discount.

I've been satisfied to let it go till I read jford's comment about upgrading B2 to a P2 - The way its going the B1 category is about the only one that hasn't come up for a refund or upgrade.
Old March 17th, 2005, 12:11 PM
jford

Default Re: Re: Re: is upgrade to PG worth it?

IF YOU BOOKED A B-1 I WOULD SAY YOU WOULD HAVE AN EXCELLENT CHANCE OF BEING UPGRADED TO AT LEAST A P-2. THAT WOULD USUALLY HAPPEN WHEN YOU RECIEVE YOUR DOCS ABOUT 3 WEEKS BEFORE DEPARTURE. VERY SORRY IF MY POSTS HAVE UPSET ANYONE. ENJOY YOUR CRUISE BEST REGARDS J FORD