Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 9th, 2005, 04:13 PM
Paul Ryan

Default Queen Victoria....... QE2 replacement???

Have been browsing through some earlier threads, where someone mentioned QE2 would be decommissioned in DEC 2007 due to combination of age and new maritime regulations.

Would this be why the 90000ton Queen Victoria that is on order from an Italian shipbuilder has also had its delivery adjusted to Dec 2007??? It was originally planned as a smaller ship for delivery in 2005 (but that one was redirected to P&O) then the new one was ordered for June 2007, which has now been changed.

Also talk of QM2 doing a world cruise in 2007, (QM2 in Sydney Harbour ........ now that will be something not to miss!!!!!) leads me to suspect that a period of change could be approaching. Perhaps I will be able to extract some more detail from the staff of QM2 next time I am onboard.

I would appreciate any further information or comments.

Kind Regards
Sponsored Links
Old April 21st, 2005, 02:39 PM
David Starkey

Default Re: Queen Victoria....... QE2 replacement???

I don't know if the Queen Victoria is being built to the same spec's(hull being extra thick steel for North Atlantic service or not.) It costs a lot more for the extra reinforcement (steel) than a regular cruise ship.
I don't think the QE2 will be along much longer. I did a World cruise and a long Caribbean /Bermuda cruise on her .
That cured me for Cunard. I have NO desire to sail them anymore. Other lines yes, in a minute. Cunard no.
To me ...Cunard is all hype....they just don't deliver a product that is above average. Not to mention pricing for what you get.

Sorry

That my 2cents worth
Old May 12th, 2005, 05:47 PM
Ted Scull

Pretty sure than QE2 will go when QV finally built. The design keeps changing, so I think Princess wants a long-distance cruise ship, slimmer lines than P&0 "QV" but certainly not with the extra steel as with QM2. QM2 needs thickness to pound across the Atlantic to a set timetable, while long-distance cruising schedule need not be so demanding of the hull.
Ted in NYC
Old May 16th, 2005, 09:20 PM
Raewyn

Does anyone have any inside information on the design................. IF it is intended to replace the QE2......... I would imagine that it would have to be more of a "liner" than a cruise ship.............. particularly if it was going to take over the world cruises and trips into the South Atlantic?

I have searched the builders website but cannot find any reference to it. With delivery scheduled for Dec 2007........... I would assume construction must start soon if it is not already underway.

I hope it is documented like they did with QM2............... it was a fascinating documentary to watch......... particularly the modular construction techniques used by the French builder.

Anyway can't wait for another "Queen" to grace the oceans.