Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 21st, 2005, 04:30 PM
lisab

Default princess v queens

Although booking my QM2 december cruise almost a year ago i have recently been woundering wether it is worth the extra 3500 to upgrade to queens grill. Can anyone let me know wether the upgrade to queens is worth the extra, i read in the brochure that there is a stocked bar does anyone know what and how much is in this bar. and what the other perks of QG compared to PG make the trip that bit extra special.
Thanks
Lisa
Sponsored Links
Old April 21st, 2005, 04:43 PM
wripro

Default Re: princess v queens

lisab,

i have crossed several times on the QE2 in QG and of course, enjoyed it very much. this past year i did two crossings on QM2 in PG and i certainly do not think it is worth 3500 pounds to up grade to QG. the food and service in PG were exquisite. the menu and galley are the same and you can order anything you want off the menu in advance. in addition, you have access to the QG lounge. true, the cabin is smaller, but very lovely with a large bathroom, walkin closet and very nice balcony. you will not get a stocked bar but you can buy a lot of bottles for 3500 pounds.
Old April 22nd, 2005, 03:19 PM
JFORD

Default Re: Re: princess v queens

AFTER 3 CRUISES WITH CUNARD THE BEST BUY AND THE BEST DINING ROOM IS THE P-CAT NOT THE Q- CAT. TAKE THE MONEY YOU SAVE AND TIP YOUR ROOM STEWARD XTRA AND HE WILL BE YOUR BUTLER IF YOU WANT. WHICH IS THE ONLY REAL DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE 2. ALSO P-CAT PEOPLE ARE LESS SNOOOOTY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old April 22nd, 2005, 09:34 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: princess v queens

Shoot, i guess i need to learn how to be snooty.... :-), We also wondered about the differnce and chose to book the Queens. We are spoiled to the S category suite on some of the Holland AMerica lines that are 563 square feet adn i love the large balcony on them. The pictures never show it, but there is even an extra sink at the dressing table, and the balcony is so big it has two chaise lounges adn a table and four chairs. We were afraid the P suites would feel small in comparison and really wnat to enjoy this cruise. We prefer longer cruises -10 or 11 day- but we booked a 6 day transatlantic to try out Cunard adn the QM2. Having read all the posts lately, i almost wish we had booked the P and gone for the cruise over , the med and then the cruise back. (We are on the May 4th from NY) We have booked anohter Holland America 14 day Mediterranian in Sptember and wonder if after the Queen we will be spoiled. I think we might try to get a peek at a P category room while on board. However, the way they keep dropping the prices for some cruises, maybe i can learn to be snooty and keep booking a Queen category. I have seen several posters on other sites say the same thing , that they are very similar, - just not about the being snooty- :-) Took the grandkids on a RCI a month ago for spring Break- there are 5 of them -and we booked a suite -the only way to house all of them. GReat line for kids, but RCI does nothing for their suite passengers at all except maybe better towels, so I am sure we will love our suite on the QM2 even if we had booked a Princess. I believe the more cruises the merrier we are, so book what ever category gets you more cruises or at least more cruise days...
Old April 23rd, 2005, 07:57 AM
jford

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: princess v queens

OK!! YOU ARE NOT SNOOTY!!! BUT HOW ABOUT THE OTHER 200 Q- CAT GUESTS???
Old April 23rd, 2005, 02:38 PM
wripro

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: princess v queens

i met several QG guests and my 2 crossings and found none of them to be snooty. in fact when we showed one couple our PG suite and the table we had in the restaurant they agreed it was a much better deal. trust me, im very picky and was completely satisfied with the accomodations and food and service in PG. i dont know what kinds of deals theyre offering this year but last year in their inaugural season there were none to be had. having extolled PG let me also say the overall experience on the QM2 once you leave the grills and the QG lounge (where everything is really wonderful) is far from the elegant atmosphere they advertise. you will be dealing with 2600 other passengers. its impossible to give great service to that many people. if you love ships however you just overlook this and enjoy the transatlantic experience. this is also inho the ONLY voyage to take on her. she is a liner, not a cruise ship, and should be experienced on the north atlantic. enjoy!
Old April 23rd, 2005, 11:34 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: princess v queens

Now I am really getting anxious to try this ship for myself. 11 days to go. So maybe we over bought on this one by going queens, but saved by choosing another line for the med. Makes me feel not quite so silly. Honestly, we both enjoy meeting the people on the cruise ships amost as much as anything else so i am sure we will have a wonderful time. Thanks everyone for so much advice. I love these boards.
Old April 25th, 2005, 01:28 PM
WIrt

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: princess v queens

My wife and I traveled PG not long ago, and became quite friendly with a QG couple whom we met while waiting on line to board.

On the other hand, we had dinner our first night with another PG couple who were immensely unffriendly and imperious. So who knows?

We have also traveled in Brittannia class, and the Grill experience is entirely different. There is none of the endless waiting on line that we had to deal with there, and the cabins are much bigger. On the other hand, you don't meet as many other passengers in the Grills.
Old April 25th, 2005, 11:13 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: princess v queens

ssounds like everything else in life, some good and some bad with whatever decison you make. It is all in our own attitudes how wonderful or how awful our lifes can be. We will enjoy the queens accomdations for this trip and if we ever decide to rebook, we will enjoy whatever level- princess because you get almost as good adn the britannia becasue you meet more people adn because you spend significantly less, you can trave more frequently,,, so it is all goood.... nothing cruising can be all that bad....
Old April 28th, 2005, 06:23 PM
TrvlnTxn

Great response rshepley. Your outlook is a really awe inspiring! Thank you for posting.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 11:33 PM
tgetz

We are off tomorrow for our transatlantic. Travln Texn you must be from texas same as we are. Don't you love it here. ALmost t hate to leave with the weather as nice as it is now. Went to three grandkids baseball games tonight and it was just great sitting outside,,, but i guess i can give that up for a week on the QM 2 :-) will post when we return... ruth s
Old May 5th, 2005, 04:00 PM
TrvlnTxn

Hi Ruth. I'm so jealous that you and yours are at sea on that beautiful ship while I'm stuck here working! <g> (We leave 8 weeks from TODAY for our "double crossing", and I can't wait.) Yes, we're from Dallas. Will be anxious to hear all about your trip when you return. Safe travels. Ken
Old May 10th, 2005, 09:20 AM
Passenger

What on earth is this message board about - do any of you ever just go on a ship for the break or the rest - all this Snobby, Snooty behaviour - I have met dustman who are gentlemen and lords and ladies who are as rude and ignorant as hell. Money does not buy class. Money will get you a bigger room etc but you cannot guarantee meeting a better type of person unless of course you travel Brittania Grill
Old May 11th, 2005, 02:31 PM
TrvlnTxn

Cyn

I'm sorry if you feel I'm being "snobby or snooty". I'm a 52-year old man who SELLS CHILDREN'S BOOKS for God's sake!!!! I work my tail off 50 weeks out of the year traveling & "peddling", just so I can pamper myself for two weeks on the high seas. If that qualifies me as a SNOB, then I guess I EARNED it. ...So feel free to call me that if it elevates you in some way. It's okay with me.
Old May 11th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Passenger

Hello Ken/TrvinTxn!

Have a GREAT time on your QM2 adventure! You've earned it so ENJOY!!!! You'll meet all sorts of wonderful people on board, and have the time of your life. I envy you! I won't be going again until 2006 -- I did the 12 night New England/Canada trip last September.

Marc in DC
Old May 11th, 2005, 04:25 PM
TrvlnTxn

Thank you so much, Marc. We crossed last year, and truly fell in love with the ship. (It was completely unexpected that we got upgraded from Britannia to PG!) Our 2nd day out, as we sat on our balcony having breakfast (room service) FIVE WHALES swam alongside the ship right beneath us, spraying us with their blow-holes! That's when I looked over at my partner and simply said, "I don't care WHAT it costs, or HOW HARD I have to work, We're doing this again next year!!!!" ....and yes, we met LOTS of very nice (& normal!) folks with whom we still correspond. MOST people on that ship (& these boards) are wonderful people!

Hope to meet you on one someday too!

Thanks again.
Ken

(55 days & counting!)
Old May 12th, 2005, 04:11 AM
Passenger

That's much better,

Now you are all talking about going on board to enjoy yourselves ant not worrying about who you might be sitting next to or if you will have to wait a few minutes longer to be served and the size of your rooms etc - This is a fantastic ship and you will enjoy it no matter how much you spend. Of course if you can afford the best - great go for it - but don't put down those that can't . Britannia Grill is superb and full of atmosphere. Even if you are travelling Princess or Queens try it one day you maybe surprised.

Hope you all have a great time - RELAX

Cyn
Old May 12th, 2005, 10:19 AM
TrvlnTxn

How strange. I've read every thread on this board at least three times now, and I have YET to see where I ever "put down" one soul, boasted about the size of my room, complained about a table mate, OR griped about waiting in line. ...but I'm glad things are "much better". Now let's all go sit on the deck, soak up the sunshine, and toast our shipmates.
Old May 13th, 2005, 04:32 AM
Passenger

Touchy - why do you assume that I am refering to you when there are many other people who have posted. very egotistical.
Old May 13th, 2005, 10:43 AM
Passenger

Mucho delicado - viaje de bon
Old May 18th, 2005, 04:45 AM
Passenger

A prince can make a belted knight,
A marquis, duke, an' a' that,
But an honest man's aboon his might,
Gude faith, he maunna fa' that!
For a' that, an' a' that,
Their dignities an' a' that,
The pith o' sense, an' pride o' worth,
Are higher rank than a' that.

Cyn
Old May 19th, 2005, 07:13 PM
TrvlnTxn

"Fruit Cake" anyone?
Old May 20th, 2005, 09:20 AM
Alfie the Red

Hello Cyn,

Just to get you in the mood for tomorrow -

Abide with me; fast falls the eventide;
The darkness deepens; Lord with me abide.
When other helpers fail and comforts flee,
Help of the helpless, O abide with me.

Swift to its close ebbs out life's little day;
Earth's joys grow dim; its glories pass away;
Change and decay in all around I see;
O Thou who changest not, abide with me.

Not a brief glance I beg, a passing word,
But as Thou dwell'st with Thy disciples, Lord,
Familiar, condescending, patient, free.
Come not to sojourn, but abide with me.

Come not in terrors, as the King of kings,
But kind and good, with healing in Thy wings;
Tears for all woes, a heart for every plea.
Come, Friend of sinners, thus abide with me.

Thou on my head in early youth didst smile,
And though rebellious and perverse meanwhile,
Thou hast not left me, oft as I left Thee.
On to the close, O Lord, abide with me.

I need Thy presence every passing hour.
What but Thy grace can foil the tempter's power?
Who, like Thyself, my guide and stay can be?
Through cloud and sunshine, Lord, abide with me.

I fear no foe, with Thee at hand to bless;
Ills have no weight, and tears no bitterness.
Where is death's sting? Where, grave, thy victory?
I triumph still, if Thou abide with me.

Hold Thou Thy cross before my closing eyes;
Shine through the gloom and point me to the skies.
Heaven's morning breaks, and earth's vain shadows flee;
In life, in death, O Lord, abide with me.

COME ON YOU GUNNERS

PS - Really enjoy your messages - some people have no respect for those of mature years
Old May 20th, 2005, 02:18 PM
TrvlnTxn

One should know better than make such assumptions. I cannot stomach George W. Bush.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 07:29 PM
William Jack

We have just returned from the Mediteranean cruise travelling in Queens Grill.

To help you decide the following points are relevant.

The Quenss Grill and Princess Grill restaurants are almost identical from a decor point of view and share the same kitchen and menus.

We had a Q5 cabin which was very nice, plenty of room. The 'bar' consists of a small fridge which is stocked with a selection of soft drinks, soda waters and light beers (Heineken I seem to remember). These are all replenished daily if used. You are also given a complimentary bottle of Champagne on boarding (on ice in your cabin) and a selection of two bottles of spirits (or wine). So dont expect a bar stocked with a varied selection of minatures!

The crew servicing the cabins were excellent and the rooms were made up 2-3 times a day (if you are out) with fresh towels and ice each time, which was nice.

The room service breakfast menu is slightly extended for QG (not sure about PG)

There is also a private sun deck for Queens Grill customers.

I would say that if it 'hurts' to pay the premium for QG , unless you really want the bigger room, stick with PG ... you will enjoy the voyage just the same.

If you have further questions email me.

William
Old May 31st, 2005, 09:47 AM
Passenger

Who's talking about George W Bush - I was referring to J R Ewing
Old June 1st, 2005, 01:01 PM
Familiar Face

Default princess v queens

Author: Cyn (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: 05-31-05 08:47

Who's talking about George W Bush - I was referring to J R Ewing
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pray tell, what does this have to do with Cunard ships?
Old May 26th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Beginner

Funnily enough 'insects', both Mr Hagman and George Bush Jr have travelled on the QE2. You were saying...?
Old May 26th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Beginner

English Translation
from

Robbie Burns

Is There For Honest Poverty

A prince can make a belted knight,
A marquis, duke, and all that!
But an honest man is above his might -
Good faith, he must not fault that
For all that, and all that,
Their dignities, and all that,