Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 10th, 2005, 12:24 PM
nancy.green

Default qe2 veranda cabins/obstructed view

How obstructed is the view from the veranda cabins on the Sun Deck of QE2 (cabins 8101-8184) We'd like a veranda, but all of the signal deck ones are taken. Is it worth the upgrade for Norway cruise?
Nancy
Sponsored Links
Old May 11th, 2005, 02:26 AM
Beginner

Default Re: qe2 veranda cabins/obstructed view

I stayed in 8106 last November, and would say that the view isn't that obstructed at all. I will try to find a photo of the view from the balcony...
What would you be upgrading from?
Old May 11th, 2005, 08:47 AM
nancy.green

We're currently in a Q3 cabin on two deck. I was also wondering if it's awkward to get to those cabins -- so you have to go through the Q grill restaurant?
Thanks
Old May 11th, 2005, 09:00 AM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: qe2 veranda cabins/obstructed view

It's not awkward at all - you access the rooms via the Queen's Grill Lounge. Within the lounge (before you enter the restaurant) there is a lift and a staircase to take you up to the 80xx and 81xx cabins.
Other benefits of Q2 (i don't think you get these in Q3): a butler, canapes delievered to your cabin every day around 5pm, bottles of spirits in your cabin. In terms of square footage, Q3 and Q2 are very similar. The balconies are large enough for 2 sun-loungers and a small table.
I would book one again if the price was right, but i'm not sure how much I would use it on a Fjords cruise (given that the weather in Northern Europe cannot be guaranteed).
Old June 18th, 2005, 09:37 PM
Porter Watkin

Hi. Haven't been on the QE2 yet, but planning a trip, so have been studying the deck plans and talking to people at Cunard lately. The guys told me that the Q2 cabins (the pink ones) on the top deck, have no problems whatsoever. (Considering the prices, I should hope NOT!)
On the second deck, the "obstructions" often mentioned, are only when you stand on your veranda and look DOWN -at the lifeboat. You have NO obstructions if you are looking straight OUT., sitting or standing. Of course you have to (at your peril) lean way out and look to your right or left, to see forward and aft, views, as all verandas have walls between them for privacy.
Now, as to Q3, the yellow cabins (on the deck plans), on the third deck down, WATCH OUT! There are only 8 and they seem very desirable, BUT they are right on the Promenade, and have very large windows. IF you are inside with ANY light on, people out on the deck can SEE right into your room! The windows are treated so if there is ordinary daylight and you have NO lights on, people outside CANNOT see in but on a cloudy day or when dusk comes, or if you are trying to read something, you may very well turn on a light and not think about the fact that you are now "on stage". (We crossed off that deck for that very reason. I refuse to worry about visual privacy and I refuse to live like a MOLE!)
I was also warned that nearly EVERY cabin on the QE2 is different from every other, so STUDY the room sizes, no matter what the chart looks like. Remember, as in most of life, caveat emptor. (And for those of you unlucky enough not to have had to take 5 years of Latin, that means "buyer beware." )