Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 23rd, 2005, 08:35 AM
Passenger

Default Meditterrean Cruise

Has anyone done the Meditterean cruise ont he QE 2? I am looking at the May 9, 2006 cruise. Wanted to get feedback from anyone that has taken that cruise. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old May 23rd, 2005, 06:15 PM
William Jack

Default Re: Meditterrean Cruise

Just returned from this cruise.

Stunning ship, travelled in Q5 stateroom which was superb, the service was excellent throughout the ship (obvoiusly things have improved from some of the negative reviews circulating for earlier trips).

I am 32 years old and my wife in her twenties, so we found the general age of the passengers a bit 'advanced', but Cunard is targetting passengers in the 50+ bracket.

The onboard entertainment and activities were mostly aimed at the older audience but were nonetheless varied and well presented (we even tried ballroom dancing!!).

The organised day trips were a bit hit and miss (really depended on how good your tour guide was). We booked tours for Vigo,Livorno (Tour to Pisa) Barcelona and Rome but visited Cannes,Gibralta and Lisbon independantly.

On a personal level I would recommend a little destination research and visiting the various places on your own. You actually will get to see far more as a lot of time is spent coralling the fellow tour members fro the next leg of the journey.

Food was consistently good throughout the ship, we dined in the Queens grill in the evening and split lunches between Kings Court and the Grill.

One good point is that even though there was a full pasenger cimpliment (aprox 2600) the ship never felt crowded ... sometimes you wondered where everyone was hiding ...

for more details feel free to email me .
Old August 1st, 2005, 07:19 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Meditterrean Cruise

Seems the writer above was on QM2 and not QE2. We came off a Mediterranean cruise on QE2 on Saturday and had a wonderful time. The itinerary was Gibraltar - Barcelona - Cannes - Livorno (for Pisa and Florence) - Naples - Rome - slightly different and slightly longer than the one you are taking.

We took Cunard shore excursions in all these places and this proved to be a little expensive, but with one small exception, they were all excellent. We always take excursions if we don't know the ports of call, but often do our own thing in the afternoon if it is a short excursion in the morning. We're doing a similar cruise next summer and will probably only take a couple of excursions and go ashore elsewhere ourselves.

In Gibraltar, Barcelona and Cannes, the ship docks/anchors right in the town centre, so it's easy to get ashore on your own. We haven't been to Lisbon or Palma, so can't comment on those places.

We were in the Caronia Restaurant - the food was the best we've had on any cruise (this was our 6th) and the service was impeccable. The cabin (C1) was also the best we've ever had and was more comfortable and spacious than those on QM2 and Galaxy that we've been in during the last year.

Despite reviews I have read over recent months, the ship was in excellent condition with plenty of evidence that money is still being spent to keep it in top condition. Also, although completely full for the cruise, there was no sense of crowding. Indeed, I often wondered where everybody went, especially during the days at sea.

Unfortunately, timings for QE2 next year don't fit with our holidays (the joys of teaching!), so we're on QM2. This time, we get Vigo and Lisbon, but lose Naples (pity about that as I lost all my photographs of Naples and Pompeii the day were there and want to take them all again).

We thoroughly enjoyed our cruise, though have to admit, we took it to go on the ship (for the third time) rather than for the itinerary. However, the itinerary turned out to be great as well, so we had a double benefit.