Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 24th, 2005, 04:35 PM
Familiar Face

Default QE2 missing tapestries

What is this about the tapestries on the QE2 being damaged? The ones on Boat Deck, E Stairs..a ripped left panel, missing center? They are not hanging now, yet passengers on 02 May in the Mediterranean said "they" were found. No one says where or when.
Sponsored Links
Old October 16th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Beginner

Hi,

I read somewhere that some of the crew got a bit out of control one night with a drinking party and they pulled some of the tapestries off of the wall and threw them overboard.

It's a great shame.
Old October 20th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Passenger

Hi

We also heard about the night when some of the crew got out of control - and indeed some valuable (and / or sentimental) tapestries of the Queen were thrown overboard.
I cannot recall if they were found but ships were asked to keep a lookout.

Apparently thats not all that went overboard either. Not sure how true this is but when we were on board recently we heard they also threw some type of sattelite device overboard which apparently sent out an automatic distress signal when it hit the water and ships responded. Which landed Cunard with a hefty fine.

Not sure why they didnt just radio the ship to enquire before setting off on the rescue. So am not sure I totally buy the idea of the huge fine they got for the rescue mission as it were.

But interesting stuff all the same.
And in July apparently the crew involved - British I seem to recall - were still in jail.

Gillian
South Africa
Old October 23rd, 2005, 02:08 PM
Passenger

I have read that the tapestries actually were not thrown overboard. Some time after the drunken affair took place, the tapestries were allegedly discovered aboard the ship.

Cruiserking
Old November 8th, 2005, 11:35 AM
Beginner

From our chats onboard; paint bucket in the pool, deck chairs overboard and damage to the tapestry (apparently, check out repair just above QEII head in far left tapestry). Sounds like crew swung from tapestry causing rip.
Old November 8th, 2005, 03:17 PM
Familiar Face

Good to know they are back. I will look thoroughly when sailing 03 January 06, Southampton to New York.

There'll be quite a load on that crossing, who'll know, and tell, all. And if they've not a clue, they'll still have lots to say.
Old November 12th, 2005, 04:24 PM
Beginner

Hi,

I have just returned from a 16 night cruise round the Med on the QE2 and was pleased to find out that the tapestries have been restored , it took them 6 months to have then restored.

Cheers,

Richard.