Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 15th, 2005, 08:15 AM
gmh

Default Britannia vs Princess Grill Restaurant, QEII

I wonder if someone can help please?

We are sailing on QEII in just over a week and have received our tickets today. We are in P1 category cabins and it states "waitlist Princess Grill Restaurant". After telephoning Cunard it appears that we are in the Britannia Grill restaurant despite requesting Princess Grill, which is not a problem in itself as I gather it has same food/service etc, but I believe it is a smoking restaurant and my elderly mother is severely asthmatic. Cunard have said we will be on a no-smoking table, but I am concerned, particularly as it a special trip for her Golden Wedding anniversary...

Has anyone else experienced this?
Sponsored Links
Old July 4th, 2005, 08:10 AM
dfrancis

Default Re: Britannia vs Princess Grill Restaurant, QEII

We have just returned from the Trafalgar 200 cruise (25 - 29 June) and stayed in 3077 (P2 category). We were allocated Britannia Grill but got our travel agent to ring Cunard and explain that we wanted Princess because I am also asthmatic. Our request was granted and Cunard confirmed before we sailed that we would be in Princess. About time Cunard made all their restaurants no-smoking!!
Old July 4th, 2005, 01:58 PM
Richard JM Smith

Hello Dfrancis,

How was the Princess Grill in terms of food & service? I am onboard this Wednesday in a PG cabin & dining in the PG Rest.

Was Andrew Nelder the Maitre D'?

Kind Regards,

RJMS74
Old July 5th, 2005, 03:25 AM
dfrancis

We found the Princess Grill to be generally good - our waiter George was quite a character and usually on the ball. According to our table companions, I think Andrew Nelder was on leave but don't know how long for.

Have a lovely trip.
Old July 6th, 2005, 07:29 PM
gmh

Default Re: Re: Britannia vs Princess Grill Restaurant, QEII

I am happy to say that when we reached our cabin all of our party had been assigned to the Princess Grill restaurant, and a wonderful trip was had by all.

I note that dfrancis had George as waiter in the Princess Grill restaurant - he is wonderful and although not our waiter this cruise (we had the attentive Jo and Dimitra) he was our waiter in the Caronia restaurant April 2004 for the westbound transatlantic crossing just prior to the tandem crossing. The weather on that crossing was rather different to this trip, and extremely rough and fairly worrying for two novice crossers! George helped to reassure us and was just excellent - I am glad he has been promoted to the Grill restaurants.

I
Old July 12th, 2005, 05:21 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Britannia vs Princess Grill Restaurant, QEII

Dfrancis,

I am glad to hear that the food in the Princess Grill was good. May I bother with some questions? Are you still able to order off menu everything you like? Which choices were available on the non changing menu?

Best regards
Old July 12th, 2005, 06:28 PM
Julia Elzie

Default Re: Re: Re: Britannia vs Princess Grill Restaurant, QEII

When you arrive on the ship, check with your room steward or at the Purser's Office regarding changes in dining. The maitre d' is usually available in a small room on the ship to accommodate special dining requests prior to the sailing. It is not usually well-publicized and the information is not widely available to avoid having everyone on the ship make changes to their dining arrangements.

As far as smoking vs. non-smoking sections, one side of the public rooms is smoking and the other side is non-smoking. Unless you have a table that is right on the divide between non-smoking and smoking, it should be tolerable for most people. If you can't get into the Princess Grill, again, speak to the maitre d' and request to be moved to a table further into the non-smoking section.

Best Regards,
Julia
Old July 13th, 2005, 03:38 AM
dfrancis

lfinfo - Re ordering off menu, there were a small number of things available - chicken, steak etc, but generally I chose off the menu of the day and did not pay too much attention. However, I am a fussy eater (according to my husband, anyway!) and when I asked for small changes to be made to a set dish, this was done.

I am sure that if you wanted something different, that would not be a problem - usually we were given the evening menus at lunchtime to enable us to choose wine, so it would have been possible to order off menu at that time. A particularly memorable meal for me was duck, flambeed in Grand Marnier - delicious!

Have a lovely time.
Old July 14th, 2005, 06:29 AM
Passenger

We order off menu from time to time. We ask the Maitre D' at breakfast or lunch for what we'd like for dinner and he's more than happy. (In a way it helps them as they know precisely who's having what in advance). I think this really only happens in the Grills.

We've not been so 'brash' as to challenge the rumour that you can order anything at all - like the person who ordered grilled rattle snake (and they served him grilled eel without him knowing!!!).
Old August 19th, 2005, 06:48 PM
rmclean

Sounds like Cunard(new managment) not minding the store Hope they correct and your mother has a very enjoyable time.