Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 3rd, 2005, 03:25 PM
sweep

Default caronia restaurant on QE2

We are booked on the QE2 for October 15th and will be dining in the Caronia restaurant. Can someone please tell me how the single sitting works? Are you allocated a table? If so what happens if people choose to eat at different times? If it is open seating, how easy is it to get a table for two?

Has anyone tried the C5 cabins?

Any information gratefully received as we have not been on this ship since 1993!

Thanks

Sweep
Sponsored Links
Old July 13th, 2005, 08:09 AM
Passenger

Default Re: caronia restaurant on QE2

Sweep,

I haven't eaten in the Caronia Restaurant for 4 years, but then, you were allocated a table for the duration of the voyage for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We were part of a group and we tended to be together and so ate at the same time. Last year, we were on QM2 and had a fixed table for dinner and sometimes the other people at the table arrived later or not at all (as we did) - didn't seem to matter. In the Caronia restaurant, you can sit down to dine at any time from 7.30pm to 9pm. On our first cruise, we ate at 8.30 because that was the time the rest of our group went to eat in the Mauretania. On our next cruise, we'll probably eat at 7.30 as that's the time we normally eat at home.

The dining room is not open dining and there are a number of tables for two. You can request a table for two when you make the booking, but I guess it would be first come first served if too many people make the same request.

C5 cabins seem to vary considerably in size (from 103 to 214 square feet) - the ones on deck four would be the best bet as most of them are near the centre of the ship. We have not tried this grade, C3 on our first cruise, M3 the last one and C1 on the 18th. July. if you want some more information on the cabins, try this link:

http://www.deluxecruises.com/cunard/...eens_grill.htm

Can give you more information after we get back from this next cruise on the 30th. July.

Regards,

Paul
Old July 14th, 2005, 10:16 AM
bobby1119

Sweep,

I recently had a Caronia CA grade cabin on QE2 for one of her final transatlantic voyages. As a veteran of many QE2 voyages and traveling alone this time, I had a table for 2 to myself in the Caronia Restaurant.

It is one sitting, as you know, with many tables for two. There is no open seating for breakfast and lunch. Service at the time of my sailing remained very high. This was my first experience in this dining room. On all other voyages I dined in either the Princess Grill, which is the best, and the Queen's Grill.

The C5 cabins from what I hear are small, the bathrooms of which have only a shower. I would recommend going up a catergory or two to C4 or C3.

Bon Voyage
Old August 1st, 2005, 02:38 AM
Passenger

Sweep,

Have just come back from 12 nights on the QE2 in the western Mediterranean. We had a C1 cabin, so obviously can't comment on what C5s might be like. I would agree with Bobby above - try to go for a higher cabin if you can. However, having said that, we spent very little time in our cabin other than sleeping and dressing for dinner. We spent most of our time in the public areas and on deck, although the latter might not be an option if you are sailing in October.

Service and food in the Caronia restaurant was superb and I had some of the best food I have ever had on any ship. We were at a table for six for all meals, and although different couples arrived at different times, we generally timed our eating so that we all finished together. Still plenty of tables for two, although I noticed that some (including ours) had been made up to accomodate six (different top spanning the two bases fixed to the floor). Guess it depends on how full the ship is.

Enjoy your cruise.

Paul
Old August 3rd, 2005, 05:41 AM

Default Re: Re: caronia restaurant on QE2

bobby1119 - was eating alone at a table for 2 by choice. What if someone is traveling alone and doesnt want to eat by themselves, do they have larger tables where they put singles who want to eat with other people or are all singles assigned to tables for 2 and eat alone?
Old August 3rd, 2005, 07:10 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: caronia restaurant on QE2

Request a large table for 8! Ask for a table that has singles at it! QE2 will accomodate you. Have a great time!
Old August 13th, 2005, 02:34 PM
Sweep

Default Re: Re: caronia restaurant on QE2

Thanks very much, your comments have been very helpful.

Sweep