Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 25th, 2005, 05:43 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to SJcruiser
Default Hotels in NYC before QM2

We are departing on QM2 on DEC 20, 05 on a 2 week Caribbean cruise. We are a group of 14 (10 adults and 4 kids) and need 6 rooms somewhere in Manhattan arriving on DEC 17 til the 20th. I've checked quite a few hotels but there's so many of them it's mind-boggling. Can anyone reccomend a moderately priced yet well located hotel. Any recomendations are welcome

Destiny 2001
Explorer of the Seas 2003
Adventure of the Seas 2004
Golden Princess 2005
QM2
Sponsored Links
Old October 21st, 2005, 06:14 PM
Beginner

Hi

I can recomend the Embassy Suites Battery park, we stayed there
in oct 04 when traveling back home to UK on QM2, we requested
room overlooking hudson river, it was fantastic the cruise ships pass
by your window five ships on the sunday and QM2 inbound at about 5 am
passing by. The hotel includes full cooked breakfast and managers
reception that was not just a glass of wine but a full free bar.
Having stayed in NY before when traveling on QE2 but staying in
midtown hotels that were ok, the Embassy Suites made the start of
are holiday. The line voyage to southampton onboard QM2 was
fantastic also.

MICHAEL

PS. QM2 RULES THE WAVES OK.
Old October 24th, 2005, 04:39 PM
Beginner

Default NYC Hotels

I would look into a chain of hotels called Affina. They have half a dozen
around the city in the mid-town area. Some are studio or one-bedroom
suites with little kitchenettes. Very nice and spacious and covenient
for having a cup of tea or light breakfast in your room.

Also since it caters to a business clientele space may be available
at a good price as biz travel is off at that time of year. Alternaively
Priceline could be an option. There's a site called biddingfortravel.com
that can give you an idea what type of bids have been accepted
for rooms.

Big chains like Sheraton and hilton and novotel might aslo have
good rates as the holiday season is a bit slow for tours and conventions.
Old October 31st, 2005, 08:21 AM
Beginner

We live in NYC and will also be on the cruiese... and adults and my 11 year old son.. I would recomend the W chain, they have several hotels in Ny and often run specials.. Since you are taking a block of rooms you ,ight be able to negotiate a good rate...
Old November 9th, 2005, 02:47 PM
Familiar Face

Is it too late to suggest? Have you already booked?

What about staying in the heart of Greenwich Village? On the north-west corner of Washington Square is the small Washington Square Hotel, modest and convenient (once the Hotel Earle, still seen in movies) and you can walk down Christopher Street to the pier out in the river. You come out the front door and over there on the left is the quiet park; you can walk from the Arch up 5th Avenue, go up 6th to Radio City Music Hall, go up 7th to Times Square and the theatres. Or, go down to SoHo, Chinatown, The Battery or see the English Garden Memorial or the Irish Memorial, new attractions downtown. City subways abound, are safe and go everywhere. You would be very central to all of New York City. Doubles @ $170, Quads @ $205; continental breakfast included. They do group rates, have a web site. (I got a rate card whilst walking by.)

Or, stay in the heart of it all, just off Times Square, between 7th & 8th Avenues. The Edison, on West 47th Street is modest and good with groups. The Paramount, on West 46th, is all Philippe Starck and actor-dancer-model staff running about in head-to-tow black. It can be fun.

Or, of the new-build 700-room high-rises, the Marriott Marquis does all the Marriotts do, right there on Broadway.

All 3 houses uptown are not far from the QM2 pier and all were purpose-built as hotels; all have web sites, all are easy to get in and out of, all are convenient......google them.....take at look. You might find one just the ticket.

I live in NYC and I've had people visiting in all of these hotels; all comments have been good. Try one? I'll be thinking of you 20 December; then I'll be flying to London for the holidays and to take the QE2 transatlantic back home 03 January.

Enjoy your trip.
Old December 6th, 2005, 01:46 AM
Beginner

I have never surffed the internet to see who else is going on a vacation the same time as my self; it has been quit interesting reading some of the posts, I must say. If you are price shopping for the cheepest deal in NYC you should board NCL Not he QM2 .... Not in a bad way but after spending 14 days on the QM2 & 5 days at Disney with my entire family, I need to have my head examined while on board. If it is the same as last year, everything was very expensive,"or my spouse & children have good taste".
The 5 days we will spend in NYC are scarring me more than the cruise, My wife thinks $1000.00ppp++++ per night is reasonable for a hotel room
I think i will just meet you all at the bar as i will need to drink heavily for this trip, and I won't even tell you what my bar bill was for last christmas on QM2

Tis The Season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Family of 5
KOOO KOOOO
Old December 9th, 2005, 06:10 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to SJcruiser

Thanks to everyone who suggested hotel accomodations. sometime around October the travel agent kwho booked the cruise told us that Cunard was offering pre-cruise hotel at the Sheraton Towers on 53rd ST plus transfers from JFK to the hotel and then to the ship. For the 3 nights its $575 per person, which is quite a bargain compared to all the quotes I got from different midtown hotels. Some of the ones you mentioned were also recommended by friends and other internet site and travel books.
jmraz220, i also think my bar bill on QM2 will be potentially more expensive than my whole stay in NY City, anyway we can discuss this further on the Golden Lion