Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 18th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Admiral

Default Queen Mary 2 Update

Statement on Queen Mary 2
January 18, 2006

Queen Mary 2 is currently at berth in Port Everglades while a technical assessment is carried out of the damage caused to one of the vessel’s four pods when the ship came into contact with the side of the underwater channel upon departure from Fort Lauderdale yesterday.

The damaged pod is located on the port side of the ship. It does not control the maneuverability of the ship, but rather the speed at which it can sail. This damaged pod will be taken out of commission for the time being, until permanent repairs can be made. In the meantime, Queen Mary 2 has three other pods that will enable her to safely continue on her voyage. We would like to stress that the safety and security of our passengers and crew is our highest priority and having one less pod does not compromise safety. An inoperable pod will affect the speed of the ship, however, we do not expect the impact of speed on the ship’s future itineraries to be material. Although, of course, due to the delayed departure from Fort Lauderdale, the itinerary’s first leg which ends in Rio on January 27 will be affected. Details of a revised itinerary and passenger compensation will be communicated before the ship sails.

Having spent last night onboard Queen Mary 2 while the ship was at berth, many of the ship’s 2,543 passengers are ashore today enjoying tours of Fort Lauderdale and the surrounding area. They have been asked to be back onboard Queen Mary 2 by 5:30 pm in order to prepare for sailing. We have previously said the ship is scheduled to depart at 6 pm today, but we will have a more firm time as our assessment progresses.

Fort Lauderdale was the second port on Queen Mary 2’s 38-day sailing around South America. The ship departed New York on January 15, and will arrive in Los Angeles on February 22.
www.cruisingfromnewyork.com/
Cruise news, bargains, tips and commentary.
Sponsored Links
Old January 18th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I'm glad that was all the damage there was and that no one was injured. It will be interesting to see if they make their estimated departure time from Fort Lauderdale.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 22nd, 2006, 07:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

As of Jan. 22, 2006 the newspapers are saying that the passengers are very unhappy and are refusing to get off of the ship. So now what?? Do you just call the police and have them thrown off. More to come.. Keep us informed..OM
Old January 23rd, 2006, 01:09 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD MAN
As of Jan. 22, 2006 the newspapers are saying that the passengers are very unhappy and are refusing to get off of the ship. So now what?? Do you just call the police and have them thrown off. More to come.. Keep us informed..OM
I read they were planning a sit-down strike. How childish! The ship had mechanical problems and can't sail at maximum speed. Cunard didn't decide to plan this out of the blue. And, passengers will receive refuns for the ports they missed.
Old January 23rd, 2006, 08:36 AM
Passenger

From Cnn this morning.

The ship, the world's largest and most expensive ocean liner, had to cut three stops out of its Latin American tour because of a problem with one of its four propulsion motors, said Eric Flounders, a Cunard lines spokesman.

Cunard offered the 1,000 passengers scheduled to disembark in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, a 50 percent refund to make up for missing stops in Barbados, St. Kitts and Salvador, Brazil, Flounders said.

Some were unhappy with the offer and met the captain to discuss it, the spokesman said.

"The captain has been having meetings with various groups of people. Some people have made that point to him, that they will not get off in Rio," Flounders said.

He said only a small number of passengers were protesting, but he did not know how many.

The British-flagged ship's departure last week from Port Everglades, Florida, on a 38-day voyage with 2,500 passengers to South America was delayed after one of its four propulsion motors was damaged.

Flounders said Cunard did not know until after the ship left port how much speed it would lose and how many ports of call it would have to skip to get to Rio de Janeiro on time on January 26.

Passenger Alan Berg told the British Broadcasting Corporation that many people on the ship were extremely unhappy and demanding full refunds.

"We have been lied to and misled," Berg, 63, of Manchester, England, was quoted as saying on the BBC news Web site.

"We should have been allowed the option of getting off at Fort Lauderdale and not taking the cruise at all. It is not in fact a cruise now but rather a voyage by sea to Rio. Many guests are on once-in-a-lifetime holidays and I have seen several in tears."

"The mood among passengers is extremely angry and becoming more so," he said.

Flounders said Cunard feels its refund offer is fair and that many passengers have accepted it.

"Cunard takes the view that they are on board, they're enjoying all the facilities of the QM2, all the food, the entertainment and so on, so while we very much regret they're missing the ports, we feel the 50 percent compensates for that," he said.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved
Old January 23rd, 2006, 04:32 PM
Admiral

The stories of passengers threatening a sit down strike because QM 2 missed three Caribbean ports is insane! They're getting a 50% refund. They are on one of the greatest ships ever built and ruining their vacations over missing a few ports? What is wrong with people???

Over the years I've known of many missed ports -- storms, a fire, huge wave and mechanical problems but I've never heard of passengers as childish as this!!
Old January 26th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

And now they just announced a full refund. I guess while I should say KUDOS to Cunard for really coming through, I commiserate with the business people who have to run this business.

I know, everyone thinks "they're a big company, they can afford it." I don't think that way. I think people work hard, and to have to do it for nothing is not fair to the people who run these companies.

I think this sets a bad precedent for cruise lines -- giving away the whole store. Stand some ground, a 50% refund was way more than most cruise lines would have given.
Old January 26th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
And now they just announced a full refund. I guess while I should say KUDOS to Cunard for really coming through, I commiserate with the business people who have to run this business.

I know, everyone thinks "they're a big company, they can afford it." I don't think that way. I think people work hard, and to have to do it for nothing is not fair to the people who run these companies.

I think this sets a bad precedent for cruise lines -- giving away the whole store. Stand some ground, a 50% refund was way more than most cruise lines would have given.
WOW!!!! :evil: NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF THE PRESS ESPECIALLY BAD PRESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old January 27th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Cruise Maniac

Well anyway that's the way it goes.. Now that the cruise lines are big business I guess they will have to play with the big boys.. The world is now a rough place.. Just ask RCCL.. (death and blood).. Bad press is how things get done.. Just ask Opray..( the book deal).. So I would take 100% if offered.. They will just pay it and move on.. Deduct it as a business expence and keep going.. I'm sure that the crew got their tips, so they did not loose any wages.. You know, maybe theses pods aren't such a good motor as they though.. OM
Old January 27th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD MAN
Well anyway that's the way it goes.. Now that the cruise lines are big business I guess they will have to play with the big boys.. The world is now a rough place.. Just ask RCCL.. (death and blood).. Bad press is how things get done.. Just ask Opray..( the book deal).. So I would take 100% if offered.. They will just pay it and move on.. Deduct it as a business expence and keep going.. I'm sure that the crew got their tips, so they did not loose any wages.. You know, maybe theses pods aren't such a good motor as they though.. OM
pods are known to be a high maintenance item even if you dont hit and damage them. I understand each of the pods on the qm2 weighs more than a 747 or approx 700,000 lbs each pod
Old January 31st, 2006, 02:56 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I respectfully disagree. While I cannot blame a cruise line for poor weather and so-called "acts of God" - which are unforseeable and are truly beyond the control of the cruise line - I do find them responsible for mechanical issues when the ships malfunction. Some of us have extremely limited vacation time; others of us have limited resources. These trips - as advertised and planned - are important to us. The QMII, while good value, is expensive. If the trip widely deviates from what is advertised and sold, the cruise line should make good, fine print or not, particularly when the act that caused the deviation from what was advertised was under the cruise line's control. I often feel that ship's passengers just don't signify with most cruise lines. So if these passengers had to take extreme measures to receive what they felt was fair under the circumstances, my hat is off to them.
Old February 8th, 2006, 04:56 AM
Passenger

ninabk, I agree with you!

A lot of people, especially Europeans, really wish to see a lot of the beauties America has to offer. Ports are very important, often more important then the ship. Ofcourse the food is free, so is entertainment etc, but I believe that these factors are more important for Americans than Europeans.

I totally understand the dissatisfaction of the majority at the QMII .
Old February 8th, 2006, 08:13 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheik
ninabk, I agree with you!

A lot of people, especially Europeans, really wish to see a lot of the beauties America has to offer. Ports are very important, often more important then the ship. Ofcourse the food is free, so is entertainment etc, but I believe that these factors are more important for Americans than Europeans.

I totally understand the dissatisfaction of the majority at the QMII .
I submit that neither the food nor the entertainment is free, we are paying for it. The cost is fctored into the price you pay for the cruise and thus passed on to the passenger.

Queen Mary 2, Canada

Enchantment, Western Carribbean

Century, Caribbean

Century, Western Mediterranean

Jewel, Eastern Caribbean
Old May 23rd, 2006, 11:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

BOY THAT SHIP IS BIG
Old February 5th, 2007, 09:53 PM
Passenger

Cunard is such a class act. 100% refund is definately above and beyond the call of duty for missing 3 ports. It was an "Act of God" and couldn't be helped. I think the people who had a sit-in were looking for a free ride. Most people cruse QM2 for the ship. The ports are secondary. I've noticed a huge difference in QM2 passengers on port oriented cruises and transatlantic cruises.
Old June 14th, 2007, 11:43 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to chels Send a message via MSN to chels Send a message via Yahoo to chels
Default Re: Queen Mary 2 Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Campbell
Statement on Queen Mary 2
January 18, 2006

Simply wanted to say "in my opinion" that cat can be rather annoying and distracting when one is trying to read your post.
signed
M. and M.

Queen Mary 2 is currently at berth in Port Everglades while a technical assessment is carried out of the damage caused to one of the vessel’s four pods when the ship came into contact with the side of the underwater channel upon departure from Fort Lauderdale yesterday.

The damaged pod is located on the port side of the ship. It does not control the maneuverability of the ship, but rather the speed at which it can sail. This damaged pod will be taken out of commission for the time being, until permanent repairs can be made. In the meantime, Queen Mary 2 has three other pods that will enable her to safely continue on her voyage. We would like to stress that the safety and security of our passengers and crew is our highest priority and having one less pod does not compromise safety. An inoperable pod will affect the speed of the ship, however, we do not expect the impact of speed on the ship’s future itineraries to be material. Although, of course, due to the delayed departure from Fort Lauderdale, the itinerary’s first leg which ends in Rio on January 27 will be affected. Details of a revised itinerary and passenger compensation will be communicated before the ship sails.

Having spent last night onboard Queen Mary 2 while the ship was at berth, many of the ship’s 2,543 passengers are ashore today enjoying tours of Fort Lauderdale and the surrounding area. They have been asked to be back onboard Queen Mary 2 by 5:30 pm in order to prepare for sailing. We have previously said the ship is scheduled to depart at 6 pm today, but we will have a more firm time as our assessment progresses.

Fort Lauderdale was the second port on Queen Mary 2’s 38-day sailing around South America. The ship departed New York on January 15, and will arrive in Los Angeles on February 22.