Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 1st, 2006, 07:41 PM
Passenger

Default QM2 Balcony

I read where balcony catagory B1-B4 are "in hull" and I understand that, but what does it mean when they say B5-B6 are "obstructed?" Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old March 1st, 2006, 10:26 PM
Familiar Face

I beleive it means that the liefeboats hanging overhead obstruct the view.
Hope that helps
Old March 3rd, 2006, 04:06 AM
Beginner

Default Obstructed view cabins

Yes, these are partially obstructed by lifeboats. Some cabins have a better view than others, but discovering which ones is not easy. Suggest you try searching the various boards, as some people have entered details of the best ones. The general concensus seems to be that for an Atlantic crossing you are better off in an in-hull (due to weather - better protection, and also not a great deal to see except the sea), and for a cruise in hotter climes the obstructed view are better (more light, sea view (lifeboats permitting) from the room. Better still, go for an A1 or A2 (unobstructed glass balcony) on the upper decks, but these are the most expensive of the Britannia cabins. Downside of these, more movement of the ship; fine if you don't suffer from seasickness.
Hope this helps.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 08:15 AM
Passenger

Default Re: QM2 Balcony

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHSEAS
I read where balcony catagory B1-B4 are "in hull" and I understand that, but what does it mean when they say B5-B6 are "obstructed?" Thank you.
in hull means that thebalcony is really an opening cut into the steel hull and you can only have sight of the sea if you stand at the opening cut. Obstructed view means just that most likely a life boat will be in front of your balcony or perhaps another type of obstruction to your view. the regular balconys are truly balconys with glass panel and wood over steel rails and a clear view of the ocean sitting or standing. hop[e this helps.(ps if you are lucky enough to be in the right location?? then you will be awakened when you hear the launching of the tenders at 5 or 6 am getting ready for a port visit when tendering) ugh!!
Old March 4th, 2006, 03:25 AM
Passenger

Default QM2 Balcony

Thanks to everyone. I was asking regarding a Carib. cruise as I decided if going to England, I wouldnt waste money on a balcony as it seems the weather is not that warm, so an inside or outside will do for that. I am greatful to learn about the "in-hull" and "obstructed" tho, so thanks.
Old March 4th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Familiar Face

We are doing transatlantic on QM2 westbound out of Southampton Sept 24/06. We chose an in Hull blacony for a different reason. This is not our first transatlantic, it is our sixth, the others being on QE2. However, we noticed that Cunard has changed its one way air policy . In order to get an air credit one way you must book an in hull balcony or higher class of balcony. We priced it out taking an inside whcih we normally do on a transatlantic and along with airfare that we would have to provide, it would cost us a lot more than it has for the in hull balcony. Crossing the atlantic the balcony is not of a real great use but it worked for us to get the airfare credit. Just thought I would pass this on.