Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 22nd, 2006, 03:19 PM
Beginner

Default Mal de Mer

Anyone got any suggestions/recommendations about this?
Sponsored Links
Old April 22nd, 2006, 04:08 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Most people use Bonine (Meclizine) or Dramamine for preventing Mal de Mer. (seasickness/motion sickness) You can also use ginger if you have an upset stomach. The Scopolomine patch is used by some people but it must be prescribed by a physician.

Dramamine is known to cause drowsiness and Bonine does cause drowsiness in some people. The best thing is to talk to your physician before you cruise to determine what is best for you.

Most people cruise without using any seasickness medication unless they are already prone to motion sickness.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 22nd, 2006, 04:17 PM
Beginner

Thanks Mike. Used Scopoderm patches last time & they worked fine but major reaction when I took it off. Ended up having cardiac investigations due to severe palpitations! So something else this time. Will check out Meclazine. Is it the same thing as dramamine? Will check with Pharmacist.
Old April 22nd, 2006, 05:02 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Meclizine is the same as Bonine. It is a non-drowsy formula and is available over the counter. Just check with your pharmacist. I actually become very tired with Meclizine but most people do not.

One thing to do is try a dosage of the medication "before" the cruise to see what side effects you may encounter. It's better to become drowsy before your vacation rather than ruining a day of your vacation.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 23rd, 2006, 03:55 PM
Beginner

Hey Mike, went to Pharmacist today, Meclazine is called "Traveleeze" in UK. Have bought up the chewable ones that last for 24 hours. Dont mind being a bit drowsy (dont expect to be called upon to operate heavy machinery!)
Thanks again
Old April 27th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Passenger

Hi

Whenever I travel on the QM2 or any other ship going transatlantic, the first thing I do is go down to the ship's doctor and have the sea sickness injection. It works wonderfully. That is all I need for the whole trip and after the first hour I dont feel sleepy at all. It's certainly worth it. I have no idea of what the chemical make up is, all I know is it woks fine.

Hope this helps.

Babs
Old April 27th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Beginner

Hi, thanks for your response. I checked out what the injections were in the British National Formulary and found that injectable anti emetics only last for a relatively short time. I`ve checked out Mike`s tip and will try out the Meclazine. If it doesnt work & it looks like things will get rough I`ll go for the injection. (I suppose being Scottish I`m too mean to fork out £50+ for an injection!)
Thanks again
Old April 27th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Passenger

I'm sure you're not mean, have a lovely time and don't worry about the sea. I travelled on the QM2 last year and we caught the end of Hurricaine Rita. The ship was very stable in it, and you would have no idea it was a bad storm, I have experienced a lot worse on other ships. Also the injection for me has lasted three weeks, but perhaps that is because after a while my body was used to the motion. Whatever the science is have a fab trip.

Best wishes.

Babs
Old May 2nd, 2006, 04:09 PM
Admiral

If you've never been aboard a ship, I recommend asking your doctor about the Transcope patch, available by prescription.

Bonine works well and I recommend starting it the day before you set sail.

My April 23 crossing was very calm but you can never predict the weather in the North Atlantic.
www.cruisingfromnewyork.com/
Cruise news, bargains, tips and commentary.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 12:48 PM
Beginner

Thanks Anne, I think that Transcope is another name for Scopoderm which really led to a lot of problems last time (QE2 Aug 05) I ended up with Cardiac Dysrythmia (apparently a common side effect) & general rebound effects once I removed the patch. The cruise was great but the side effects of the patches made me ill all Autumn!
Fingers crossed for Bonine. I`ll take it the night before as recommended.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 12:26 PM
Familiar Face

Munching on candied ginger works well!

Try it! It's in the dinning rooms.