Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 8th, 2006, 06:37 PM
Beginner

Default QM2 South American segment in Jan. 2007

My wife and I are considering the Ft. Lauderdale to San Francisco segment of the QM2 world cruise leaving Jan. 10, 2007. I have read this ship had a South America cruise in 2006. Any comments would be appreciated about the QM2 in general or the South American portion.
Sponsored Links
Old October 11th, 2006, 08:09 PM
Beginner

We were on the Westbound SA trip last January and thought it was the most spactacular scenery we have seen. The East side of SA was very hot; there was a fun "crossing the line (equator)" ceremony to participate in (sign up) and Rio was very interesting, but you will want to have tour with a group because of the muggings, etc. As you go down the coast it will cool to about 50 F, and can be breezy. I know you will have fewer ports of call, but to me, the circumnavigation of Cape Horn island and the transit up the Beagle channel was breathtaking. My wife wanted to shop for leather and either Montevideo or Ushaia (sp?) were good stops for this. Because of the Antarctic currents, the West side of the continent is somewhat cooler, and more overcast, but the cities are very rich in history and interesting. If you're traveling on a US passport, a visa for Brazil is the only one you'll need. We also got yellow fever shots. I have some pictures of our trip at:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/548232658wuXvlQ

I would definitely do this trip.

Rick J
Old October 16th, 2006, 11:21 PM
Beginner

Many thanks for the reply. The photos were particularly helpful and a pleasure to view. Did you know in advance your room was on a lifeboat deck? And how full was the ship? Thanks again.
Old November 22nd, 2006, 07:10 PM
Beginner

Default Looking for cabin mate for Ft. Lauderdale to San Francisco

Straight male, retired New York newspaper reporter, 67, looking for cabin mate for Jan. 10 sailing; single supplement quoted is 70 percent.