Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 8th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Beginner

Default November 20th cruise on QM2 rough?

Hi, I'm new to this so forgive me if I don't do well or follow rules that I don't know about! My family and I are cruising to the Caribbean out of NY in November and I'm wondering what the seas are like then. I do get motion sick, and I do take meds for it, but it can still get bad. I've been on four cruises so I'm not completely ignorant of a ships movement. I want to go on this ship so bad!!!!! Is it really that much better than a regular cruise ship due to it's design? I have read a ton of posts all over the internet that there is no such thing as a relatively smooth ride from NY to the Caribbean. I appreciate any and all help!
Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2007, 10:09 AM
First Mate

Can't speak about QM 2 on that route but we were on her to Halifax last sept. from NY in very high winds & seas. it was very stable to say the least--I got a bit queasy first night out but staying midhsips --you won't feel much of anyhting.. It is an amazing ship..
Old July 10th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Passenger

I've been out in a force 10 on this ship and whilst there was a bit of motion, she really handled it well - until she comes to a standstill (we stood by another ship which looked like it was in trouble). When ships stop moving they lose the benefit of the stabilisers - and when this happened she rolled sufficiently to send everything crashing.

On the move she's fine and I think you'll hardly notice a thing.
Old July 10th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Beginner

I so appreciate your writing your experiences!! I am starting to feel much better. Please, if anyone else can add to the subject, be it good or bad, feel free to do so. Any and all input helps me!! Again, thank you.
Old July 24th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Passenger

We had a rough sea in the Bay of Biscay but the ship didn't roll around. Just stamped a bit. I have motion sickness and with one pill I was fine.
Old September 10th, 2007, 11:42 PM
Passenger

I have been on QM2 eight times now and she is without question the most stable ship that I have been on. We had a Force 11 gale on a crossing this summer and the vast majority of passengers were out and about. In fact, a large number were sitting by the windows on Two Deck watching the waves crash against the windows.

I have done the run down to the Caribbean a number of times on QE2. Typically, the first day is sort of cold and grey. However, once the ship passes Cape Hatteras, the weather starts to warm up and become nice.

I was on QM2 going to the Caribbean in April. There was a storm heading back to NYC but that did not last long.

It should be noted, however, that any ship can move about. It is very much a personal thing how affected you will feel in response to the motion. I have met people who complained about the ship's motion when she (QE2) was still tied to the pier.

***edited by moderator***

I hope this is helpful.