Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 25th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Beginner

Default How to be a savvy QM2 traveler?

My fiance and I are traveling on the Queen Mary 2, departing from Southampton on 9 August. We just got our tickets today! We have a room with an obstructed view balcony on the 8th deck.

We are getting married in Princeton, NJ on August 18th and are using the Queen Mary 2 to transport ourselves and also my wedding dress from London (where we live) to the wedding.

Neither one of us have ever been on a cruise before, and it really is a fluke that we're going on the Queen Mary 2... This is mostly because it seemed like the easiest way to get the dress across the Atlantic and having a pre-wedding honeymoon seemed like the perfect way to combat wedding planning stress. We are very, very excited.

I do have a couple of questions, and I hope that you can help.

What can I do to make the trip very special for us? Are there things that I should/could sign up for ahead of time? And most importantly: what is the best way of dealing with my dress? Do I carry it on, much like in boarding a plane?

I've read here that the food is passable -- which worries me. I used to review restaurants for a living etc and really appreciate food with intention. I recognize that it's a very big boat with lots of people, but I had been convinced by a couple of family members that it would amazing regardless of the volume. (I am also allergic to cilantro, so worry about anyone attempting "fusion" food. Though my impression is that this should be a very old school experience.) Can you give me an idea of what to expect with the food and the wine? (How marked up is wine? How much a wine list is there with dinner? Is it all by the bottle or is there a selection by the glass?)

We've decided to embrace the dressy thing. My fiance is renting a tux and I've had my mom post me a couple of my old formal gowns. The thing is: will we feel ridiculous? We're not even 30, so if the only people who get dressed up are 80, it would be nice to know ahead of time. Any insights?

Thanks so much for making it to the bottom of this rambling post. I am very excited, and a bit overwhelmed. Mostly, I can't wait! (Of course, I have to get the seating chart and every wedding thing done before we get onboard, so the stress level is a bit high at the moment. )

-Emily
Sponsored Links
Old July 25th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Emily, congratulations on your upcoming marriage. I would absolutely carry your dress on board yourself, if I had an upcoming wedding I wouldn't let it out of my sight. A crossing is a wonderful time to relax and do absolutely nothing or partake of all the wonderful activities they offer. Theatre, lectures, afternoon tea, movies. It's your choice. I just spent 22 days aboard the ship and there is nothing wrong with the food. You can discuss any allergies with the waitstaff and if something is not to your liking you can send it back and order another dish. If you are thinking about using the spa, as soon as you have settled your dress in the cabin visit the spa on deck 7 for a tour and to book anything you are interested in. Because they have the time, people do dress formally for dinner. You will not look out of place. Life is so casual now that enjoy this opportunity to dress up. I'm not a wine drinker so I can't comment on the wine list. The sommelier will visit the table and discuss your choices with you and an unfinished bottled will be re-corked and waiting for you the next evening. Also book a lunch (22.00pp) or dinner (30.00 pp) in Todd English which you can also do when you board. Anymore questions, please ask. Linda
Old July 29th, 2007, 06:29 AM
Passenger

Hey there, Firstly caary your dress on. Safest way. Secondly, there's special things to do every day on this ship. News letter is left with all happenings etc every evening when your bed is turned down. The cabin you have booked is fine. We had one too.
Who is *****in about the food on the QM2 is crazy. It's tip top.
Wine by glass or bottle by the dinner. If you have food problems just let them know before hand and they will make sure that your food is adjusted for dinner. Don't know how it works for lunches etc but just mail them.
Don't worry about feeling daft as a young person in evening attire. We had that too but everyone from the kids up dresses and beleive me the people who cruise on the QM2 are not all 80 year old haha.
If you need more info let me know and I will try to help. I am planning to go again Southampton NY in August. Really looking forward to it.
You are going onto something that has a history and as you come down to dinner on the stairs in your evening attire it's like your living a frame out of a movie.
Greetings and bon voyage and a happy marriage.
Penny
Old August 5th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Familiar Face

Wedding congratulations are in order and I wish you a wonderful time as you journey to this most important time in your lives.
I was on the QM2 last year and am booked on it again next year.
We found no problems whatsoever with the food. If there is something you can't have just let them know. They will pretty much cook to order for you. We used the Lido cafe a lot for breakfast because we liked being able to see what there was to chose from We ate in the dining room every night and welcomed the experience. Everyone was dressed in dinner dress or cocktail dress or formal dress for dinner. You will not be out of place in your formal wear There was I think two informal nights but everyone was still dressed up quite a lot and there often seemed little differnence between formal or informal nights.

Have a wonderful crossing experience.