CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Cunard (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cunard/)
-   -   Queen Victoria (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cunard/343275-queen-victoria.html)

kandajones December 9th, 2007 01:32 PM

Queen Victoria

In case anyone is interested, we have posted some pictures of Queen Victoria's arrival, evening celebrations, and our evening aboard her.
I'm not sure, but uou may need to have a snapfish account to view them (it costs nothing & you opt out of all emails etc).

The are at ....
http://www1.snapfish.co.uk/thumbnail...umID=207123275

and
http://www1.snapfish.co.uk/thumbnail...umID=207645865

If anyone is thinking about sailing on her & has any questions, please ask & we'll try to help,

Alan & Katrina

Anne Campbell December 11th, 2007 02:41 PM

Yeaaaa......thank you!

neeny January 1st, 2008 07:21 PM

Thanks for your pictures.

We are thinking of going on QV in August. We are a couple in mid 60s - American - like good food, entertainment, lectures, meeting new people.
We would be eating in the Britannia dining room and would ask for table of 8 in late seating.

What are the cabins with balconys like? I heard they had very little storage for clothes and bathrooms needed more shelves. Is this true?

What other pros and cons did you discover?

Thanks

kandajones January 2nd, 2008 08:34 AM

reply for Neeny

Hi Neeny,

Let's start with the storage space as that was a cause for concern, which then became a source of jokes for the comedians. Without fail, everyone regardless of the room they had, found that they were desperately short of drawer space. We had a shallow drawers in each of the bedside cabinets, one above the 'fridge - where the hairdrier was hardwired, and one in the vanity unit. We were told, that due to the number of comments, Cunard had recognised that this was a problem, and by now every atateroom is supposed to have a proper drawer unit. We have some friends on their at the moment, so will ask them what the story is now.

As for shelf in the bathrooms, we did hear that some passengers had none, but in our room, apart from the basin top, which was quite spacious, there were 2 glass shelves which we found ample for our needs. So I'm not sure if that was a grade specific problem - we were only in a lowish grade, so I don't see there being less in a balcony cabin.

We also heard that some people had more of a 'walk in wardrobe' type affair for their clothes. We had cupboards, and the only problem we could see was that if the lady was more than about 5'1" (my wife's height) they would have trouble with their long dresses, and the drop height in the cupboard wasn't great.

The main issue we had on board, was that we like soft drinks, so usually buy the soft drinks package. This has been cut back to ONLY the drinks available in the gun, which we find tend to be flat, and too sweet.

The food was great, the service fine, they need a bit more familiarization with the ship, but by August everything should be flowing. Talking of flowing, there were reports of problems with hot water & toilets. We had to run the taps for a while to draw the hot water through, but always got it, and did have one day when our toilet didn't flush, but by the time we wandered to one of the public one's we found that the problem had been solved & all the cleaning staff were checking that they were working.

Most people on board fell into 2 camps, the QM2 fans who liked the new liner & said that they would travel on her again, and those in the QE2 camp (including ourselves) thought that she was going to be a great replacement. We weren't too sure if we were going to like her or not, but will definitely be going back on her again without a moment's hesitation.

Anyway, I hope this helps. If you have any more quesitons, please feel free to ask. We'll do our best to reply.

Happy Cruising in 2008 & beyond,

Alan & Katrina

PS Katrina took some 1000 photo's of the Maiden Voyage - I don't think we dare post them all ;o)

neeny January 2nd, 2008 09:04 PM

Thanks so very much for taking the time to address my concerns.

We have gone ahead and booked the cruise - hoping the norovirus has disappeared by August 08.

How many times did you dress in formal attire - just on sea days??

How about the tours - did you use Cunard tours on went on your own??

Any help on these topics would be most valuable.

Thanks again
Denise

kandajones January 3rd, 2008 07:49 AM

Hi again Denise, we hope have a lovely time in August.

We had 3 formal nights - as you thought, the sea days. The rest all being semi formal, which for the guys ranged from suit no tie, to jeans & tops, and for the women, slacks or day dresses.

As for tours; we normally do our own thing, but did take 3 official tours this time, and were actually very impressed with them.
I know it's pot luck, but all the tour guides that we had were local & had very good knowledge of what we were seeing & why. Also with all the tours being prices in USD it made them great value for the Brits on board.

Is the trip going to the Med? If so, and there are any particular ports of call you'd like help with, please feel free to ask, or drop us a private message & we'll give you any thought s & comments that we've built up.

All the best,

Alan & Katrina

neeny January 6th, 2008 07:01 PM

Hi again,

Yes we are going to Mediterranean - 8/25/08-- have now booked a balcony cabin - and hope we have good weather!!!

Any help that you can help with ports would be of great help to us.

thanks again
Denise

cruisequeen69 January 7th, 2008 08:11 PM

Were you able to book the ship tours you took before the cruise, or did you have to book as soon as you boarded.

I read somplace that you cannot book tours in advance. Is this correct.

kandajones January 8th, 2008 08:02 AM

fao cruisequeen69

Hi there,

Our tours brochure arrived too late (and from Chicago ???) for us to book in advance, so we did so on the ship. But I am pretty certain that you can book your tours on the Cunard website. I thought it was under the 'cruise personalizer' section, but of course as we don't have a future booking :-( can no longer access that part.

If you can't find anywhere on the site, then maybe drop a line to Cunard, or check with your travel agent.

Hope that was of some help,

best wishes,

Alan & Katrina

vistapat March 19th, 2008 11:28 PM

My husband and I are booked on the October 24th Legends of the Mediterranean voyage on Queen Victoria. This will be our first Cunard cruise, though we've been on many other cruise lines. The Cunard literature states that appropriate dress for gentlemen on formal night is either black tie or a dark suit and tie. Can you estimate what percentage of men wore tuxedos and what percentage dark suits? We are coming from the west coast of the USA, so weight more than convenience is an issue with us. However, why book a Cunard cruise if you don't want to look and feel appropriately dressed? There is always Carnival!! Thanks for any information you can provide.

kandajones March 20th, 2008 08:36 AM

Hi there,

The cruise we took was in & out of Southampton, so a large number of Brits were on board which probably pushed up the number of Tux wearers as there wasn't any weight issues.

I would have to say that about 70 to 80% of the men who wore formal went for the Tux & BowTie, with about 20 to 30% in dark suit & dress tie. There were a few dozen who chose to wear neither, but they were definitely in the minority.

I hope this is of some (if little) help, I'll take a look back through some of our photo's this evening to check my memory of %'s.

On the subject of photo's, if you are interested, we've posted about 100 of them in the photo section
http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/view.php?id=4382

best wishes,

Alan & Katrina

vistapat March 21st, 2008 01:25 PM

Thank you both for your very thoughtful reply. We will have to evaluate whether we can accommodate a tuxedo, suit for semi-formal, jacket for casual, along with formal, semi-formal, and other garments for me. I will be reminding my husband, however, how very attractive men look in formal wear, especially gentlemen of a certain age and avoirdupois!

Your pictures were wonderful, and have us eagerly anticipating our cruise, which now seems too long in the future. We have booked an A7 balcony cabin which is at the extreme front of the ship, in the "sheltered balcony" area. As I understand it, the only tangible difference is that the front of the balcony is solid steel rather than plexiglass. That, and there may be rather more movement at the bows than amidships. We will pray that the Med is calm.

Patricia

PWRSTRK April 2nd, 2008 04:24 PM

Patricia:

This has little to do with anything else, but thought I'd share with you that we have traveledin sheltered balcony cabin aboard QM2 and would do it anytime -- prefer it to other balcony cabins, actually, as there are always winds on the seas and we had wonderful protection. We used it regardless of weather for an evening cigar and for morning coffee.

Tom

Quote:

Originally Posted by vistapat
Thank you both for your very thoughtful reply. We will have to evaluate whether we can accommodate a tuxedo, suit for semi-formal, jacket for casual, along with formal, semi-formal, and other garments for me. I will be reminding my husband, however, how very attractive men look in formal wear, especially gentlemen of a certain age and avoirdupois!

Your pictures were wonderful, and have us eagerly anticipating our cruise, which now seems too long in the future. We have booked an A7 balcony cabin which is at the extreme front of the ship, in the "sheltered balcony" area. As I understand it, the only tangible difference is that the front of the balcony is solid steel rather than plexiglass. That, and there may be rather more movement at the bows than amidships. We will pray that the Med is calm.

Patricia