Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 14th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Familiar Face

Default QM2 Nightlife?

I have narrowed my next cruise down to QM2 or one of Celebrity's. I've sailed on Holland and Carnival previously. I want something upscale with wonderful food and service, but I also want a fun nightlife---dancing to rock/pop, clubs that are open late, etc. I also enjoy ballroom dancing, which I know the QM2 offers. Thoughts on the QM2 for a fun-loving couple in their 40's? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old July 19th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Beginner

We just got off a 24 day cruise on the QM2 on July 2 Loved the ship but here are our thoughts. There is ballroom dancing most nights in the Queens Ballroom if thats what you want There are also a couple of low key lounges around the ship and a disco too. However I dont think you will find the nightlife you would on Celebrity or Royal Carribean Cunard has an older crowd We saw lot of elderly and the ship was extremely quiet in the halls after 930 or so (always a sign of a low key clientele Dont get me wrong thats what we were looking for but you may not be
Also, we have been on 14 cruises and I can tell you that if you never cruised before you will find the food on this ship fine However anyone who has cruised before will tell you that its JUST OK Dinner was a notch or two better but the lunches in the Kings court and breakfasts, were mediocre at best You could tell because people were eating in the dining room in droves , rather than the buffet They closed the buffets erratically so you might walk to one at 200 looking for lunch and find it closed so you had to walk the length of the ship to go to the other Food was the same repetitive especially at breakfast Same old stuff We never encountered this on Princess or Celebrity Thats our opinion Not to say it was bad, just barely average
The ship however was magnificent very secure feeling, we did two transatlantics and loved them The handled the shore excursions very well too, very organized But the food was a downer Shows were good though, All in all we enjoyed it but if your looking for nitelife look to Carnival Celebrity or RC
Old December 15th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

QM2 is very big on ballroom style dancing - some of the best st sea. I dare say you willl not find much in the way of rock, pop or any such dancing. It is mostly a "standards" kind of format. A beatles tune would be "modern" for this ship, and that's OK, just the way it is.
Old January 6th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Passenger

Hi

I have to agree with Flora, I have sailed about 8 times transatlantic on QM2, the ship is fab, but agree that the food is just okay, such a shame as in the prior Carnival Ownership, the food was totally different, it is so obvious now that it is all so tightly controlled by a massive organisation. Nightlife, as Flora said, good for ballroom, nice old world feel, the ship is glam, and has a lovely feel, but if you want a buzz choose another line. There is a disco, but it seems almost 80% full of crew, 'getting it on', don't blame them really, I would too, but makes passengers feel a little in the way. Shows are same as every other ship, service great, cabins super. It's just a shame Cunard has lost a lot of its class and personality. But it is the only way to get transatlantic in a hurry. I would rate it as four star. Holland America although I believe is owned also by Carnival, was a much more fun trip to Europe from the US, mind you it took much longer, but I would love to do it again if I had the time. Grab hold of your curlers and your purple hair dye and go fro the QM2, you will feel the youngest on board, that is always good for us gals......
Old January 8th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Passenger

Great, we cruised her one year after she was inaugerated. Everything was perfect.

Penny
Old January 12th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: QM2 Nightlife?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyann
I have narrowed my next cruise down to QM2 or one of Celebrity's. I've sailed on Holland and Carnival previously. I want something upscale with wonderful food and service, but I also want a fun nightlife---dancing to rock/pop, clubs that are open late, etc. I also enjoy ballroom dancing, which I know the QM2 offers. Thoughts on the QM2 for a fun-loving couple in their 40's? Thanks!
Kathyann...
My DW and I sailed RMS QM2 last year Panama Canal and Southern Caribbean. We are early 60's No experience on Celebrity, yet. Sailed Hal on ms Noordam. The RMS QM2 is elegant, refined and upscale in all aspects of decor and service. The Queens Room ballroom is THE venue for ballroom dancing! There is also a disco on the same deck!
We never visited the disco, but did enjoy formal nights in the Queens Room. We enjoyed the Golden Lion Pub for socializing and listening to music from the pianist.(Also available in other venues.) For the record for this 2 week journey, we, Americans, were the minority nationality aboard ship. We enjoyed many pleasant evenings meeting fellow travelers from Europe, Asia, North and South America and Africa.
Food was good, not great. If you are the " get and go type " you may find the QM2 tending toward the moderately sedate.
Hopefully others will respond and give you additional input. Whichever ship you choose . . .Have a great cruise!
Old March 2nd, 2009, 06:43 PM
Beginner

Well, here we go again. After posting my comments, weve decided to go on the QM2 once more. I guess we just got a longing to do it again, so we will fly to London in Sept and stay there for a week and then pick up the ship in Southampton to sail the Mediterranean and then back to NY. Yes, the food is only average but the ship has a kind of ambiance that I cant put my finger on that makes you want to go again. This time we're looking forward to crossing the Atlantic in late September when we come back to New York. Since we already know what its like, we just cant wait!!
Old March 10th, 2009, 05:11 AM
Beginner

My Partner and I have sailed on the QM2 for my retirement and it is great, the nightlife is a bit of a mix though as you have goings on from one end of the ship to the other at the same time, plus the nightclub starts up halfway through both.