Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 14th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Familiar Face

Default Princess or Queen's Grill - worth the money?

I am looking for a cruise in Europe. I am wondering about Queen Victoria or maybe Queen Mary.

What is the difference in having a Princess or Queen's Grill Suite or just a regular cabin. Besides the food - is it worth the difference??

Are the suites that much nicer - is the food that much better? What about the other areas to you get to see?

Seabourn 1995 - Carnival Elation 1996 - Sea Princess 1998 - Crystal Harmony 1998 - Grand Princess 1998 - Holland America Ryndam 1999 - Renaissance 2000 Oceania 2002 - Carnival Conquest 2004 - Pride of America 2005 - Emerald Princess 2006 - Crsytal Serenity June 2008
Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Well...

I would say the food is very good in the regular restaurant now, altjhough it is a tad better in the Queen's Grill.

You also get a suite when you book those instead of a regular room, however, the suites are not much roomier than the regular staterooms - unless you get a top Queen's suite.

I would say you will enjoy the regular rooms just fine and not miss much.

But if money is no problem then go for the suites. The amenities are the same for Queen's or Princess. The only difference is that Queen's Grill will serve a guest anything they want any night of the week.

The attraction of the ship is more the culture than the food, though. You will spend most of your time in the public rooms everyone has access to.
Old January 21st, 2010, 06:55 PM
Familiar Face

On QM2, rather big and bland, do not bother with Grills ... you can get single-seating by booking Britannia club; look at the Cunard site:
Grill cabins are larger than those feeding into the two-seating Britannia restaurant, but not by much. Too, the Princess Grill and the Queens Grill aren't very glam, the Lounge is rather plain and outside the windows of the restaurants your fellow passengers are walking about, putting greqsy noses and fingers on the glass, trying to peer into you having your bangers! Do the math. I do not feel it is worth the high tariff.

On QV, however, YES! Grill cabins are a bit deeper. Both Grill restaurants, plus a large and windowed Lounge, a large outside deck and and enclosed outdoor restaurant, plus another upper deck, are all on their own private decks, Eleven and Twelve. You get there by keyed elevator. It is a private world, one you never need leave. I feel a Grill passage on QV well worth the money, especially the entry-level P4.
Old January 25th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Familiar Face

Interesting take on things, Fuzzy. I didnt realize there was such a difference between the two ships... thanks for the advice.

Seabourn 1995 - Carnival Elation 1996 - Sea Princess 1998 - Crystal Harmony 1998 - Grand Princess 1998 - Holland America Ryndam 1999 - Renaissance 2000 Oceania 2002 - Carnival Conquest 2004 - Pride of America 2005 - Emerald Princess 2006 - Crsytal Serenity June 2008
Old January 26th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Beginner

Default grills on cunard

We have done 4 cruises on Cunard all Brittania level, 2 QE2 1 QV 1 QM2.
The only differences between the grills and the brittania are seperate dining rooms a seperate bar and deck areas.

As far as we know they have to go to the public rooms to see the shows and for dancing, so if you like to be a recluse then pay the extra money. I am sure some people will post that there are other benefits but is it worth the money?

We have always found the food fantastic and the levels of service are top notch, same as on other cruises we have been on.
Old January 26th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Lesanne...

I agree. You get the same ship in the Britannia category. The food is still excellent. If you have money to burn then I think the Princess category is as good as the Queen's (unless you want a bigger suite), but by no means do you have to be in those categories to enjoy a Cunard ship.

The onboard ambience of Cinard ships is great - very British, very nautical and full of the tradition of passenger ships - like floating maritime musueums.
Old June 1st, 2010, 01:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi,
I sailed only once on QMII - we received an upgrade to Princess Grill. We were traveling with friends that didn't receive and upgrade - so we got to see both Britannia and Princess rooms and eat in both restaurants.
Our Princess Grill suite was noticeably larger - and we really enjoyed the intimacy of the Princess Grill dining room. However, we also greatly enjoyed our meals in Britannia.
We are sailing to New England and Canada in September - we decided to spring for Queens Grill!
Whichever you choose - I hope you have a great time.
Old June 7th, 2010, 06:20 PM
First Mate

I had some of the same questions and have noted the replies. Many thanks as we will be cruising on the Victoria the last of October.
Old June 7th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Admiral

Not really comfortable with class distinction in this day & age.....
Old June 9th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Hi John...

Interesting answer. You know Cunard tried very hard to avoid the word "class" when discussing these special categories. of course they are old enough as a companby to have had class-based ships with steerage, etc, but they do not see it that way now.

The truth is there are MANY ships that are no different than Cunard in the sense of having special cabins with exclusive access to special dining rooms, etc.

There is MSC which has the "Yacht Club" and the Celebrity Solstice class which has the "AquaClass" staterooms.

I don't think you should hold it against Cunard.
Old August 12th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Passenger

We've tried all diningrooms on QE2 over the years, and all I can say is that anyone who thinks there isn't any real difference between them has not had any direct personal experience of them all.
Our favorite was in fact Princess Grill, specially with Andrew the longtime MaitreD' and his assistant Kenny it was a peaceful,orderly, congenial, well laid out and unhurried place to eat.
Queens Grill always felt crowded to us and more frantic.

I will admit we never paid full price or anything like it for the Grills, always had last minute specials which cost little more than Caronia, and I would not pay a lot extra, but at a keen price they were a fantastic experience.

We haven't been on Cunard since the last voyages of that transport icon QE2 as we feel it might be an anticlimax having read so many poor reviews recently.
Old August 12th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
Hi John...

Interesting answer. You know Cunard tried very hard to avoid the word "class" when discussing these special categories. of course they are old enough as a companby to have had class-based ships with steerage, etc, but they do not see it that way now.

The truth is there are MANY ships that are no different than Cunard in the sense of having special cabins with exclusive access to special dining rooms, etc.

There is MSC which has the "Yacht Club" and the Celebrity Solstice class which has the "AquaClass" staterooms.

I don't think you should hold it against Cunard.
Paul...I don't hold it against Cunard....I hold it against ALL of them!!
Old August 13th, 2010, 01:32 AM
First Mate

Default Grrr.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
Paul...I don't hold it against Cunard....I hold it against ALL of them!!
Good Spot John,

At one point a few years back I too thought Cunard was establishing a Class system but have corrected myself in realizing that cruise lines are now seeing a new revenue stream in passengers who want to pay more for perceived privileges.
Much like Airlines First Class, Executive Class, Premier Economy which I admit to buying at times for long haul trips and the food (better than cookies in economy)

On the cruise ship we now have specialized restaurants with a wee fee, Suites with a butler, Cabins reserved with ones own pool and deck, Reserved Span area and amenities, reserved lounges and services.

Course the funny part is they still have to lineup for immigration inspection and customs clearance and move off the gangway.

I guess if you have a reserved wine that is over the top in price then you will of course note the refined food served to you in a small room of quiet.

Seriously , as Paul said, some folks want the extras, away from us masses and willing to pay.

Cheers
Web site: http://robbarcruises.wordpress.com/

Last edited by robh; August 13th, 2010 at 01:47 AM.
Old August 13th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Well...

The difference between Queen's Grill and Princess Grill accomodations versus regular passage (steerage ) is not mostly in the restaurants, it is in the staterooms.

The Queen's Grill suites are huge, while the Princess suites are half the sizze or less in many cases.

The food is almost identical, but I trhink that when it comes to price points you pay a lot more to get from Britannia to Princess, and not that much more to get from Princess to Queens.

So - if you are going to take the plunge you might as well go all the way in the deep end. - that's one way to look at it.

On the other hand, for other people the main thing is getting to the upper "classes" - and Princess Grill is good enough.

I have to admit, I do not like calling the suites on Cunard Queen's Grill Suites. To me it sounds like a fancy Winnebago. "Get the Queen's Grill model - you're wife will love the kitchen."

I asked Cunard about that once and they responded as if the idea had never even occured to them. "Why would anyone think a suite with the word "grill" in the name sounds funny?"

Ummm, because it does?
Old August 16th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Cruise Maniac

Sometimes while I am enjoying the Queens Grill sun deck, I throw breakfast pastries at the commoners on the regular decks. That alone makes it worthwhile.
Old August 16th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Does that mean you are "letting them eat cake?"
Old August 16th, 2010, 07:17 PM
First Mate

Default Al Carte Priced Dinning to be Introduced on Cunard

I found this article in the UK Boards : Interesting slant to a new way of paying by the moment or should I say impulse. /Rob

Quote: " see below...
http://sailawaywithsian.blogspot.com...ning-to-be.html

Tuesday, 10 August 2010 Al Carte Priced Dinning to be Introduced on Cunard

Cunard have announced the introduction of a new dinning venue the Verandah Grill that will taken residence on the new Queen Elizabeth, the twist however is that charges will be implicated per course! This is a first for the Cunard fleet and prices are estimated to be between $6 - $7 for starters and desserts with mains ranging between $16 - $18.

Although the Queen Mary 2 and the Queen Victoria have a speciality restaurant in the form of the spectacular Todd English restaurant on both of the ships you pay a fixed price for the whole dinning experience.

I don’t really see there is much of a difference as the per course cost comes out fairly close to the fixed price on the Queen Mary 2 and the Queen Victoria, although it does allow the customer to just have the one course that the whole three courses. Having been on the Queen Victoria and had the privilege of eating in the Todd English restaurant all I can say is if the Verandah Grill is anything like the Todd English I would definitely be dinning there one evening.
Posted by Sian at 11:11 ""

Labels: cunard, todd english restaurant, verandah grill

1 comments:

RobBar's Cruise Area said... I guess I have some questions.
1) Are they test marketing our acceptance of paying by course in a so called specialty restaurant and will they set a minimal limit.
It does not take much to surpass the normal fixed price.
WE could decide to go for deserts or appetizers only.

2) Will this set a trend that other cruise lines will adopt.

Sounds like more wiggling into our on board accounts.

Cheers
16 August 2010 16:09
Web site: http://robbarcruises.wordpress.com/

Last edited by robh; August 16th, 2010 at 07:24 PM.