Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 3rd, 2010, 01:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Black and White Ball?

My partner and I are booked on a September sailing of the QM II (New England and Canada).
The itinerary mentions that there is a Black and White Ball on the second evening.

So - my question is - we are two men - is there something we should consider wearing besides a tuxedo (black) with a tux shirt (white)? Does anyone have experience with this and do men often wear white jackets?

My head is aching already just thinking about the packing - and we have no women to worry about! :-D
Sponsored Links
Old June 3rd, 2010, 04:33 PM
Admiral

You will be fine with normal Tux etc, some (inc, me) do the opposite & wear a White Dinner Jacket, black dress shirt, B&W bow tie, just to be different. Some think that is overdoing it, I look at it as a bit of fun.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 04:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
You will be fine with normal Tux etc, some (inc, me) do the opposite & wear a White Dinner Jacket, black dress shirt, B&W bow tie, just to be different. Some think that is overdoing it, I look at it as a bit of fun.
I think that sounds great! One person's "overdoing it" is another persons creativity and fun.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 05:27 PM
Admiral

.....Maybe my Black & White shoes were a step too far....
Old June 4th, 2010, 01:43 AM
Passenger

The Balls on Cunard ships take place in the Queens Room. If you don't go there, you won't even realize a Ball is going on, so don't sweat it. They do decorate the Queens Room for the themes of the Balls and some people do go a bit overboard on Ascot Night but it's usually a small number who go all out.

I do love formal nights on Cunard and wear full length evening gowns for each one. Several of my gowns are black, so the Black and White Ball is easy. The men all look terribly dashing in classic black tuxedos!

J
Old June 4th, 2010, 02:07 AM
Passenger

Default Black and White Ball?

White shirt with black jacket will look better. Try to wear thick colors, it can change the people eyes turned back to you. Red & Black, Pure white & thick black combination would be better. I guess will suit your body language.
Old June 4th, 2010, 08:28 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemorgan23 View Post
White shirt with black jacket will look better. Try to wear thick colors, it can change the people eyes turned back to you. Red & Black, Pure white & thick black combination would be better. I guess will suit your body language.
The clue is in the title I think.... & every night almost men will wear the usual Black Tux outfit so a change is refreshing. Don't really understand the quoted post.
Old June 22nd, 2010, 10:34 AM
Passenger

I think you will be fine with a black tuxedo on our cruise most men where wearing that. However please dont wear a black and white suit as you might end up looking like zebra. Also if you decide to eat in the buffet then you dont need to adhere to the dress code.
Old June 22nd, 2010, 11:43 PM
Familiar Face

Mark, have a great time. The QMII is a fantastic ship. The B&W ball is a lot of fun. You'll be fine in any combination of B&W . . . . . white dinner jacket or black . . . . it doesn't matter.

They do a game called the "Officers Gavant". They ask couples to come down and get in a big circle. One couple standing behind the other with the men in the inside. Then they ask the men to go out into the crowd and get another lady who then stands on the other side with the man in the middle. Then, after instruction on what to do, they begin the music and the fun begins.

I know that you're a gay couple, but you guys should grab a couple of ladies (and then two more) and have some fun. It's all good fun.

I hope you and your partner have a wonderful time. The QMII is a fantastic ship. My wife and I love it.
Old July 13th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Cunard's Black and White and Ascot ball are a lot of fun, very sophisticated occassions as if from another age. You won't get many changes to attend events like this in your lifetime, so make trhe best of it.

I can see one person wearing a white tux and another person wearing a black tux - why not? If you can find a white tux.
Old July 13th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Admiral

About the only time you can really wear a white Tux outside the tropics.