CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Cunard (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cunard/)
-   -   Cunard transfers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cunard/383113-cunard-transfers.html)

Jimbo_Bost June 14th, 2011 09:12 PM

Cunard transfers

We will be sailing transatlantic QM from NYC to Southhampton. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get to the pier in Brooklyn? Does Cunard offer transfers from grand central?
Then we need to get from Southhampton to LHR by 6:00 PM can Cunard make arrangements for us? First time on Cunard, VERY excited. Jimbo

Lakers Fan June 14th, 2011 09:16 PM

The only way to go from Grand Central station to the pier in Brooklyn is Taxi and the fare is liable to be very costly . If there are no transfers offered my suggestion is to try and find a private car service in Manhattan .It too may be costly but a lot easier on the wallet than a yellow cab.

kandajones June 15th, 2011 07:17 AM

Hi Jimbo,

6PM, wow that's one late flight home. Unfortunately Cunard are unlikely to help you onto a group transfer as those are all early morning. I am not aware of any that they do later in the day. So you may want to contact their UK offices as soon as you can to find out - they are listed under Carnival UK.

So you need to start thinking about what else you can do in case there isn't a Cunard option & are left with all your luggage.

Taxis to LHR are around 70 to 80 ($120), and a regular coach transfer runs from central Southampton and takes around 90 minutes and costs just a few 's

It may be worth considering a taxi tour of the area (New Forest, Salisbury, Winchester, Portsmouth, or Windsor) ending up at LHR just ot pass the day.

Let me know if you want any other suggestions based on what you would feel comfortable with & I'll try my best to help.

Alan.

pen June 15th, 2011 12:46 PM

Dont know about NY but would they not be better to get a train into Euston and pick up the airport train from there. It's just a thought.

kandajones June 15th, 2011 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pen (Post 1376387)
would they not be better to get a train into Euston and pick up the airport train from there.

Certainly an option, but to do that would involve travelling into London Waterloo then either taxi or tube it back to Euston to catch the Heathrow Express. Ok so the tube is only a short run, but with more than one or two cases it could be a problem. IMHO of course.

Alan.

Jimbo_Boston June 22nd, 2011 02:55 PM

I think that the most direct and lease expensive way to get to LHR is on the National Express Bus. One can make a pre paid reservation and the 1:30PM will get us to LHR @ 3:15 which should be plenty of time, especially on a Sunday afternoon. We would like to explore Southampton before we get on the bus, which we can do by foot or coach tour. My next question is what do we do with our luggage between 8:00AM and the 1:30 bus to LHR. Will Cunard keep them for us? Lockers at the bus station? Thanks all for the help. Jimbo