Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 1st, 2011, 08:54 AM
Familiar Face

Default Back home at last.

Hi everyone.

just got back off the QV, thanks for all your help and advice you were spot on thank you.

Did i enjoy it, NO it was the worst holiday i have ever been on and i am completely exhausted. If I ever wondered what it would be like sleeping on a air craft carrier i wonder no more. I've had very little sleep for 2 weeks. would i travel with Cunard again, No never. on a plus side all the staff with the exception of the hotel manager were brilliant. I can't say much about the ship and activities as we had to share a cabin with our friends, sleeping in their room of a day whilst they were either on deck or on shore. Thank goodness for friends.

Pen x
Sponsored Links
Old September 1st, 2011, 08:59 AM
Admiral

Sorry a bit confused here...you had to sleep in your friends room during the day?? What were you? stowaways??
Old September 1st, 2011, 10:22 AM
Admiral

Are you upset about something??

What are you saying?
Old September 1st, 2011, 04:22 PM
Familiar Face

opps sorry that was not a very good explanation was it and yes i did feel like a stowaway but to cut a long story short! i could sleep just about anyway, i live in a inner city with a husband who can snore for England.

What I couldn't sleep with was the noise that was coming through our balcony door 24/7 It was like the farting sound of a balloons when the air is coming out and wizzing around the room. it was that loud. We did complain and ask for it to be repaired every day for 4 days and still no luck In the end i videoed the offending sound and walked into the reception to show them just how urgent a repair was but all we got was a form of pass the buck as to who's fault it was that no one had been to look at it. out of sheer frustration I asked for a meeting with the hotel manager Mr Stevenson. from this point on a repair was attempted 3 times with no luck, we were offered a down grade to an inside cabin which we excepted but our request for a refund for the down grade bit was refused. still we needed to sleep somewhere, after taking a couple of sleeping tablets i gave up trying to sleep in our cabin and hunted out the inside one but when we tried to get into the cabin at 3 am the key was not working so i called back down to reception and told them to forget it. i then found the nearest settee and slept on that..

next day at the meeting with Mr Stephenson and head purser. we showed him the video of what we were trying to put up with. Mr steveson took the video off me for a closer look and in my opinion tried to delete it by pressing a big red button on the machine only instead of deleting it he recorded the rest of the interview. He asked us what did we want him to do about it, they have tried repairing it 3 times but couldn't and what did we expect from a disabled cabin??? shell shocked by his rude arragant attitude i just walked out of the meeting, no point in listening to any more of his rude arrogant remarks. The Head Purser followed us out and apologised for Stephenson's comments.

So what do we do now? we considered getting off at the next port but this upset our friends who had joined us on the cruise, sleeping on a settee in the bar every night was not an option so the best we could do was share their room and sleep in it when they were not using it.
for 2 weeks we were absolutely exhausted through lack of sleep, we missed all the formal nights after buying all the clothes for them as most nights we sat in the lido and eat just a snack.

We had booked a box in the theater and i fell a sleep half way through. it was a nightmare.

I am going to download the video on to youtube and fasebook, where you can decide for yourselves if you think the noise was acceptable for a disabled cabin, not that being disabled should have anything to do with it..

I don't want to put anyone off the QV after all this was just one cabin out of 900 plus
Pen x
Old September 1st, 2011, 04:55 PM
Admiral

Let us know when you post the video on Youtuibe. I will honesly tell you if the noise level was OTT.

If you have a video recording of Mr. Stephenson's comments - that would be very interesting to send a copy to Head Office.

I am sorry this happened on your cruise and fully understand your frustration.

Annie
Old September 1st, 2011, 08:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Please let us know when you post on Youtube.
Can you tell us which cabin it was?
Mr. Stephenson can have an attitude problem when you are making complaints. I hope you kept the recording of the meeting.
Linda
Old September 2nd, 2011, 03:23 PM
Familiar Face

VID00065.MP4 - YouTube

Hi just managed to down load it to youtube although you may have to turn your sound up a bit.

let me know your thoughts

Pen
Old September 2nd, 2011, 03:30 PM
Admiral

Does sound irritating...what happened if you opened the door a bit?
Old September 2nd, 2011, 03:50 PM
Admiral

I could have coped for 1 or 2 nights but 2 weeks ? That said I can sleep through anything.

I think the pertinent questions are :

Was the problem known to the management before you embarked? if so - why were you not informed? You could have been offered an alternative and OBC.

Did the cabin meet Cunard's standards - I would suggest not.

Annie
Old September 2nd, 2011, 04:32 PM
Familiar Face

Hi guys.
Im not sure just how loud it comes up on youtube but it was really loud, as to the door being opened, we tried this, if it was windy it made the same noise even with the door opened and the boat docked, so we thought there was a problem in the paneling or the seal,we have another video showing the door open and the same sound. Also when it was a calm day the bed would get soaked as the air con vent was right over the bed and dripped constantly when the door was open so it had to stay closed. I only took the videos because it was difficult to explain the sound to the people at reception. I thought it would be better to video it and take it down to them so they could see for themselves just how urgent it was for someone to come up and repair it as i was going crackers by day 4.

Mr Stephenson knew of the problem, like he said " what did we expect with a disabled cabin. also they said the ship was full so the only cabin available was the inside cabin. Cunard were aware of this as i had to complete forms and get letters of my consultant to say i was well enough for a cruise holiday. Also this cruise was for our 34th wedding anniversary for which we had planned to spend in Venice. I have a serious illness and have to take morphine 4 times a days along with loads of other medication so sleeping on a settee in a bar late of an evening was so painful and embarrassing to say the least. We never got to spend our anniversary in Venice, in fact we cancelled all the tours we had booked as i was just too tired and by that time and in to much agony to do anything else. My worst gripe though is the attitude and the comments from Mr Stephenson, if they ship is full then the ship is full, nothing can be done about that i know but how I wish I was a fly on the wall when the head purser told him what he had done.

I have 3 letters of apology, one from the captain, one from the head pursuer and one from some one else all expressing how sorry they were that they could not do anything???? I'm not quite sure where the captain came into it although we were invited to his cocktail party so i can only assume someone told him. He has sent a letter on to Cunard head office and said they will contact us on our return home. what good that will do i don't know. Could he have not done anything on the ship???? I don't know. Our friends did offer to disembark with us at the first port but i did not think it was fair to burden them with extra costs involved with hotels and flights and they were upset with the thought of us leaving without them, they only booked because of us so i was stuck. such an awful position to be in.

However it's done now and i am sooo glad to be home and in my own bed

Thanks everyone

Pen x
PS what is a OBC?

Last edited by pen; September 2nd, 2011 at 04:40 PM.
Old September 2nd, 2011, 06:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I heard the video,and it was loud...unacceptable for anyone to put up with that

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 2nd, 2011, 06:13 PM
Familiar Face

thank you Trip, and everyone else for your support, I showed the video to some of my friends and they all seem to think it was unacceptable but like me they are not cruisers. so it's good to here the opinions of people who do cruise regularly.

After writing this and explaining it to you i am getting angry all over again. I have not made a complaint, I have looked at a few complaints which resulted in no response from cunard so didn't bother for the same reason. However i think i will give it a try. Do any of you have a name and email address of the best person to contact ie CEO. i might as well go to the top i have nothing to loss.

Thanks again

Pen x
Old September 2nd, 2011, 07:12 PM
Captain

Just listened to the video. No one should have to put up with that noise for 1 night let alone 2 weeks! Totally unacceptable. I think Mr. Stevenson needs to spend a few night in that cabin I think if I were you I would pursue this until I got some satisfaction. Maybe if you went to Cunards web site you might find some contacts.
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old September 3rd, 2011, 11:57 AM
Cruise Maniac

OBC - On board credit.

I definitely couldn't have stayed in the cabin with that noise. In June I had a problem with the wind whistling around my balcony door. Tried the usual fix of slamming it and locking until day 2 when I discovered air coming in around the base of the door. The solution - when the ship was in motion (and this trip included 2 TAs) the room steward and I kept the long bolster pillow from the bed wedged against the door. No more noise.

Yes, your trip was obviously ruined but don't let it continue to eat at you. I personally would continue to pursue it.

Linda
Old September 4th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Captain

Unhappy

Wow, that was really bad , as per John's thoughts it is almost as if the door isn't sealing properly, but as maintenance visited 3 times, you would have expceted then to eithe rhave resolved the issue, or suggested leaving the door handle slightly up to see what happened.

If you booked via a travel agent, lodge a complaint with them & get them to take up the fight with Cunard, or if you booked directly make sure you point them to the uploaded content in any correspsondence.

Also remember in either approach to explain to them what you consider to be reasonable compensation for the unacceptable issue and response that you received on board.

Good luck,

Alan.
Old September 11th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Pen, that noise is appalling and in my view you should get a refund.

You should take the matter to court if necessary and I am pretty sure you will find Cunard back off and offer substantial compensation for the shoddy manner in which you were treated.

RGDS Spencer
Old September 15th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I also agree the noise is entirely unacceptable.

But the real shame is that they were not able to do anything to fix during your entire cruise. I always feel bad for people who leave a ship with an unresolved problem, because there is no way to change what happened. In my opinion every problem of that nature should be made a first priority and fixed as soon as humanely possible - even if they had to fly in a new door.

I also agree that you deserve a refund or at the very least a do-over in a nicer room at no cost.

Completely unacceptable, especially for a company like Cunard!

Old September 23rd, 2011, 10:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

A agree with you, this is unacceptable. They owe you something for sure.

I think I would have taken the interior, at least you could have gotten some sleep at night.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Navigator of the Seas-Caribbean-3/23/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/10/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/18/2014, Carnival Sunshine-Caribbean-5/30/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014
Old October 15th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Familiar Face

Hi Guy's.

Just to update you on this. I sent a nice letter to cunard with the download attached and withing 2 weeks the complaint was resoved to my satisfaction. I have to say once home they were excellant in dealing with it and desearve a pat on the back for doing so, so promptly it's just a shame they could not have done so whilst on board but hey life moves on

pen x
Old October 15th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thank you for giving us the ending to the story. Sadly some come on, complain and are never heard from again - we call them "Fly Bys".
I am glad to hear Cunard resolved this to your satisfaction.
Linda
Old October 15th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Admiral

Glad that it is now fixed. I'm sorry it waited until you were home.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 04:24 PM
Welcome Newcomer

sailed on queen vick 18 days in august, glad i caught u mate couldnt agree with u more the hotel manager wants keel hauling he ran out of magners irish jake [cider] 10 days into cruise take it from me it upset a few and the crew the decks were grilling but the drinks wer`nt thrilling a cross between watered brown cough linctus and melted red ice lolly they called a cocktail, thanks for short of nowt morrisons in gibralta they should run ships stores.
Old January 20th, 2012, 07:48 AM
Welcome Newcomer

So you are trying to say tha t you are disappointed the trip?

Last edited by Trip; January 20th, 2012 at 08:23 AM.