CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Cunard (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cunard/)
-   -   Looking for best way to get from Southampton to Stonehenge (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cunard/397266-looking-best-way-get-southampton-stonehenge.html)

oriema2002 June 26th, 2013 07:06 PM

Looking for best way to get from Southampton to Stonehenge

We will be traveling aboard Queen Mary 2 in September and wish to go to Stonehenge upon our arrival in Southampton and then to a railroad station so that we may journey to Edinburgh. I am told that there are trains that bypass London at Bristol with a transfer at Birmingham. Does anyone have an idea as to how I can get from the pier in Southampton to Stonehenge and then to the Bristol station? Does anyone have the name (and contact info) of a reliable and safe private car that could pick us up in Southampton, take us to Stonehenge, wait while we tour the ruins and then transport us to Bristol or another station (even if we have to transfer in London)?

johnthed0g June 26th, 2013 07:34 PM

Hi I am from the UK & I should know this but don't I have asked on my Facebook Cruise group if anyone can help... will let you know.

johnthed0g June 27th, 2013 06:10 AM

I have been advised this...
" It's fairly simple John. They can get a train from Southampton to Salisbury and take a tour from there and then a train from Salisbury through to Edinburgh. They would catch the train from Salisbury to Waterloo and then go through to Kings Cross on the underground and then on the train to Edinburgh. How practical any of that would be with luggage though I have no idea!"
OR they could do a Cunard excursion to Stonehenge and then take the train from Southampton on their return to Edinburgh (if Cunard run that trip - would be easier with the luggage!)

oriema2002 June 27th, 2013 09:39 AM

Thank you for your help. With luggage for an almost three week trip, the train from Southampton to Salisbury probably is not practical. A private car or limo. ( the car does not have to be fancy) would be the best way to go. I've already called Cunard and they said that since Southampton is a destination termination point, there,are no shore excursions or transportation to Stonehenge.

johnthed0g June 27th, 2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oriema2002 (Post 1477380)
Thank you for your help. With luggage for an almost three week trip, the train from Southampton to Salisbury probably is not practical. A private car or limo. ( the car does not have to be fancy) would be the best way to go. I've already called Cunard and they said that since Southampton is a destination termination point, there,are no shore excursions or transportation to Stonehenge.

Hmm a few Cunard voyages finish in Hamburg now so maybe that is when they do trips. Maybe you could find some way of storing your luggage then doing a day trip to Stonehenge, return to Southampton then get the train onward...maybe have a room in a hotel for the night then travel on the next day?

kandajones June 27th, 2013 04:13 PM

Hi oriema2002, have you considered transferring from Southampton to Salisbury for an overnight stay to explore that city as well?
You could then leave your luggage at the hotel and see Stonehenge in comfort.
For travelling from Salisbury to Edinburgh, as you thought you can avoid London, by taking a direct train to Bristol (Templmeads) in 1h30m. From there, trains run direct to Edinburgh every hour - but don't expect them to be cheap :o(

Another option which might be worth looking into is having visited Stonhenge, travelling back to Southampton Airport & catch a FlyBe (reasonable budget airline) flight to Edinburgh, they fly 4 times a day & take 1h30m. They will charge you extra for your luggage, but well worth a look.

If you need more details on these, or decide you want to find a taxi/private hire, then drop another line on the thread & we'll try & make some suggestions & get costs.

Have a great crossing,

Alan.

johnthed0g June 27th, 2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kandajones (Post 1477415)
Hi oriema2002, have you considered transferring from Southampton to Salisbury for an overnight stay to explore that city as well?
You could then leave your luggage at the hotel and see Stonehenge in comfort.
For travelling from Salisbury to Edinburgh, as you thought you can avoid London, by taking a direct train to Bristol (Templmeads) in 1h30m. From there, trains run direct to Edinburgh every hour - but don't expect them to be cheap :o(

Another option which might be worth looking into is having visited Stonhenge, travelling back to Southampton Airport & catch a FlyBe (reasonable budget airline) flight to Edinburgh, they fly 4 times a day & take 1h30m. They will charge you extra for your luggage, but well worth a look.

If you need more details on these, or decide you want to find a taxi/private hire, then drop another line on the thread & we'll try & make some suggestions & get costs.

Have a great crossing,

Alan.

Was hoping you would see this Alan!!

Askari July 23rd, 2013 08:07 AM

A private car or limo. the car does not have to be fancy would be the best way to go.

Fuzzy Lewis July 26th, 2013 08:42 PM

Contact the Eddie Manning's people, they are used to this …

www.limo.co.uk

… in a hire car you'll go from the pier in Southampton to Stonehenge, your driver will remain with the vehicle so your baggage is safe while sightseeing. Arrange with them for transport then to best train station to reach Edinburgh.