Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Disabled Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Disabled Cruisers Discuss issues concerning disabled cruisers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 23rd, 2001, 02:16 PM
HannaS77

Default BLIND or LOW VISION PASENGERS

The U.S. Department of Justice, Civi lRights Division, Disability Rights Section has issued a instructive bulletin (12 pages) on the rights of those who are blind or have low vision under Title III. While this particular bulletin is a " Guide For Places of Lodging: Servicing Guests Who Are Blind or Who Have Low Vision", it could apply to any place that qualifies as "Public Accommodation under title III .It could vey well apply to cruise ships since these are considerd by the vessel owners to be foating hotels and have been held by the Justice Department as subject to Title III. They usually have in their employ aboard ship a "Hotel Manager". Those who fall into this category, as well as an others disabled should obtain a free copy. It is updated to March 2001
e-mail address is http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/lodblind.htm
You might also be able to bring up the Dept. of Justice or Americans With Disability using keyword.
Sponsored Links
Old March 23rd, 2001, 08:34 PM
RoboCop

Default Re: BLIND or LOW VISION PASENGERS

This is just foolish IMHO. I don't believe in discrimination in any form, but it is a matter of safety that blind people should not be allowed onboard cruise ships without someone who will care for and be responsible for them, and I don't mean someone from the cruiseline.
Jim
Old March 24th, 2001, 04:57 PM
First Mate

Robocop, you could be a poster-boy for why many people with disabilities are the worse enemies there are for the rights of the disabled. How many blind people do you know well? I know many who I would trust with my life.

I would like to change what you have written to show how uninformed and prejudiced it is:

"but it is a matter of safety that (insert: people who use canes, people who use wheelchairs, people who have speech impediments, people who are different from me, people who I don't understand, women, etc. etc. etc.) should not be allowed onboard cruise ships without someone who will care for and be responsible for them"

If you are so anti-disabled (as your previous posts reveal as well), then why do you frequent this board? The rights of the disabled are not just for you, but for all with disabilities and those who are their family members and friends. Even if you are disabled yourself, you can still be a bigot.
Old March 24th, 2001, 10:50 PM
RoboCop

KLD, be advised "I" am disabled. I am not a bigot, hell, I don't even have many prejudices! I also am NOT anti-disabled, but I am a aware of limitations. A ship can be and is a very dangerous place during an emergency. The passageways are confusing to even those with good vision, a blind person could not learn the exits and alt exits in the space of time they are onboard. I'm very much for equality for everyone. Note I said EQUALITY and not attempting to make the impossible possible just to feel caring. If a vision impared person wants to cruise, great, just make sure that they have someone to assist them in finding their way around. It isn't up to the ships company to provide this service. ADA goes overboard in many instances.
Jim
Old June 28th, 2001, 08:26 PM
Eve

Hi Robo,

Just had to respond to this since I am a visually impaired person myself and can speak with some authority on this. I have travelled by myself for several years now and am not only capable of taking care of myself in an emergency, but also taking care of those around me who are panicking. When I do travel with people, they often look to me for guidance because I have a good sense of direction.

I understand your concerns about safety and I believe it is up to each person to understand where their limits are and be responsible for ensuring their safety. I believe part of what motivates these overdone regulations is our litigious (hope I spelled that right) society. For instance, I am not going to go rent a waverunner on shore because I would endanger myself and everyone else nearby. However, there are those who would do that (and not all fo them disabled) and then hold the cruise line and anyone else they could find responsible for their injuries. It ruins it for the rest of us.

In short, if cruise lines are going to require that I bring along a baby sitter to take care of me, I will no longer cruise.

Eve