Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Disabled Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Disabled Cruisers Discuss issues concerning disabled cruisers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 19th, 2001, 07:58 PM
Robert Schubert

Default Carnival Waiting Terminal, Excursions

I have booked a 4-day cruise for my brother and me on Carnival's Fascination. I went on my first cruise last year with HAL and thought that my brother could handle such a vacation even though he is physically disabled. He has trouble walking for more than say a city block at a time. Even standing in line will be a strain for him. I recall the embarcation disembarcation waiting area was a little strenuous for me. The hundreds of people and waiting in line will be rough for my brother. Any thoughts here?
Also, does anyone have any suggestions for excursions? My brother wanted to go to a beach. He's fine in the water because the weight of his body is supported. It's the walking to the transportation meeting point that I'm concerned about. Finally, it would be good if we got a dining table close to the entrance to the dining room entrance. He'd have trouble winding his way through dozens of tables if we're seated in the back of the dining room. I realize there is the alternative casual dining area. But in case he wants to eat in the dining room, do you think they will accomodate us?
Sponsored Links
Old May 27th, 2001, 12:24 PM
Chris and Jenny

Default Re: Carnival Waiting Terminal, Excursions

We are taking a cruise in September and ruled out the Holiday as a ship we would use because of it's age and facilities not being accessible to Jenny's wheelchair. Ie: we were told the bathroom door was about 23 inches and hid and step to get over. We had seen this on the Carla Costa in 1990. So we switched to the Carnival Destiny and have been assured it will be as accessible as the Triumph was since they are sister ship's. The reason I mention this is we are familiar with cruising and the barrier's one will encounter.

Here are our suggestions (in no particular order). Since you say your brother can not walk far ask for a cabin close to the elevator's near the center of the ship. Think about borrowing a manual wheelchair so he can rest. Ask for priority boarding for embarkation. Upon airport arrival look for a Carnival representative and explain the situation; they are willing to assist when they are able to do so. Prior to leaving ask for your dining table assignment to be closer to the door. The ship has manual wheelchairs that are first come first serve. If there is a problem with the seating assignment ask the Maitre De if he can switch your table. Ask for a handicapped cabin if necessary. If you decide to or can not take a manual wheelchair with you get a camp chair to carry along with you for rest breaks. E-mail us with any other questions, comments, or concerns. Sonny01@core.com.

Most of all have a fun trip.