Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Disabled Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Disabled Cruisers Discuss issues concerning disabled cruisers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 19th, 2001, 06:28 PM
brittany

Default cruise for ailing parent, 50th wedding anniversary

I would appreciate your help. My parents' 50th Wedding Anniversary is this year, and they would like to go on a cruise. They have never been on a cruise before.

My mother is in good health. My father has heart problems, back/hip/leg pain, post cancer surgery (in remission), and in declining health. They are reluctant to book a cruise well in advance due to the possibility that his health would not permit them to go.

They would consider a cruise (to Alaska or other location) if there was a way to make the appropriate plans, allow him to have a wheel chair to assist them in getting around on long walks, and a way for them to get their money back if they are unable to go at the last minute due to health problems. It would also be important to know what medical services might be available on the cruise, if needed.

They have talked about either a cruise or a train tour. They are located in Oklahoma.

I would like to give them a memorable gift for their 50th anniversary, and would appreciate your input.

If you have any suggestions, please email me at brittany22222@aol.com.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old July 1st, 2001, 06:57 PM
First Mate

Default Re: cruise for ailing parent, 50th wedding anniver

I would suggest sticking with a cruise that is close to major cities with good medical services. Most large cruise ships have medical facilities, but the are limited. You might be more comfortable with a ship that has American physicians, and you can ask the line about this. How about a cruise around Hawaii? You are never far from shore, and can be transported to American ports fairly readily. You can go year around, so would plan this early to avoid having more health problems prior to going.

Ships will not return your money if you have to cancel for medical reasons. You may be able to get trip cancellation insurance through your travel agent, but be careful as pre-existing medical conditions are often excluded.
Old July 1st, 2001, 07:02 PM
First Mate

Default Re: cruise for ailing parent, 50th wedding anniver

Also, I forgot to say, don't depend on the ship's wheelchairs. They are only for occasionally use, and you generally cannot claim one for the whole trip. They are also often heavy and difficult use. Suggest you purchase (a Quickie Breezy is a good choice for many in this situation) your own or rent prior to leaving home, and take it with you. That way you are assured of always having the chair.

Are you going with them? Make this a family trip, and you can help them out. Just pushing a wheelchair can be taxing for an older person such as your mom, and family members can divide up their time helping out and going off on their own.

It is also pretty late to try to get an Alaska cruise this year. Again, Hawaii might be a better option, or consider a eastern coastal, Canadian fall color or Bermuda cruise.