Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Disabled Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Disabled Cruisers Discuss issues concerning disabled cruisers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 29th, 2001, 03:43 AM
Yeoman

Default 2 questions-celebrity, room costs

I have 2 questions. First, if the cruise line only has a handicap suite available, are you forced to pay the suite cost?

Second, I was on Celebrity Infinity June 1 and the entire staff (it seemed) pushed me around during all the meals at the cafe and were extremely helpful throughout other areas of the ship when I was alone. I was wondering if the staff is this helpful on other Celebrity ships or Royal Car. ships?

Thanks for any input. BTW, I can get out of my chair.
Sponsored Links
Old July 4th, 2001, 02:17 AM
First Mate

Default Re: 2 questions-celebrity, room costs

The cruise lines are under no obligation to give you a higher category cabin at a lower price...just like they don't do this for AB cruisers. This is why is is so important to book very early, as the lower priced modified cabins are often the first to go. Unfortunately few cruise lines restrict these cabins to those with a disability, so many people who are AB ask for them as they know they are bigger cabins.

We had a very good experience on the Zenith in 1995 going through the Canal from LA to San Juan, and also found the crew more helpful than usual. Never had to carry a tray at a buffet for my mother or push my mother's chair for her...always someone who volunteered. They were also more than willing to move our dining table to one closer to a door (easier path of travel), and even opened a door just for us every evening that was not usually used for access to the dining room. The disabled passangers were all invited to sit in the Captain's private lounge (under the bridge) for the Canal transit. The door was too narrow for the chair, but they helped us jerry-rig a way to get in and served us lunch and cold drinks (the captain's private steward). They did need extra coaching in how to get the chair up and down the gangway at ports though and it took them a while to learn. Another plus was that this ship has all the handicapped cabins on one deck, and the hallways on this deck are wider. Also one of the few ships that can accomodate 3 in a adapted cabin. This is rare, but needed if you need to travel with a child or attendant.
Old July 17th, 2001, 01:52 AM
Bunny and Erin

If you ave ant questions for handiap rooms please ase me-I would be glad to help and I am Blind and travel with my seeing eye dor, Erin and my daughter Theresa
Old July 17th, 2001, 02:40 AM
Bunny and Erin

Room costs the same and cabin twice the size, Bathroom3x the size, If they cannot put you in your room , they will upgrade you. Use the newer ships as the the canges have been made in the past few years and their Medical Dept is more up to date!! Ciao Bunny Also make sure the ship is notified in advanfe that you will need assistance and in my case I have a Seeing Eye Dog!!
Old July 17th, 2001, 02:47 AM
Cottentail and Erin

Room costs stay the same as the one you booked , And it is up to you to tell them what assistance you need, They will do their best to help you.. It is my personal feelings that on the Princess lnes worked out better for me--Granted I can always change it. Ciao Bunny