Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Disabled Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Disabled Cruisers Discuss issues concerning disabled cruisers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 25th, 2001, 01:50 PM
Angie Babcock

Default partically disabled

My mother and I are getting ready for our first cruise on the Paradise 9/16/01. A couple years ago while at work a shelf fell on her causing brain damage, effecting the right side of her body. She is able to walk with a cane (slowly) after having a couple surgerys. I am worried about her getting around on the cruise ship (stairs). Any comments or suggestions. THANKS
Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2001, 01:42 AM
Rob H

Default Re: partically disabled

I have a friend of mine who has to use two canes to move around and as you know one tends to plan the route for an outing ahead of time.
I'm not an expert,
Some thoughts are , work with your TA for a cabin near elevator and near main places you would normally go, like the dining room.
You can probably arrange for cruise line with yoiur TA to provide a portable wheelchair which would allow you and your mother to move around nicely. She would appreciate it and so would you.
You will certainly need it to get her on / off the ship.

It does not mean she could not move around with her cane once you
got her to a main place, just helps.

best of luck, hope you enjoy your cruise together
Old August 26th, 2001, 07:22 PM
Peggy Schreur

Default Re: partially disabled

Please remember that the ship rocks and any instability while walking will be magnified--this is true for everybody, even people who never have trouble walking.
I always rent a folding wheelchair at home and take it with us ("gate check" it for each flight). That way I have a stable seat during long lines or waiting times, also for long distances such as in the airport. This wheelchair will come in handy for the long trips from one end of the ship to the other (e.g., from the dining room to the show lounge).

The wheelchair also works in the well-developed ports--less so in the third-world ports where paths may be made of gravel, etc. Also, in some ports (such as Alaska tours with Princess) it is easy to put the wheelchair on the excursion bus, but in some there is no provision at all (e.g., a Costa Rica jungle river boat ride, also from Princess).