CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Disabled Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/disabled-cruisers/)
-   -   partically disabled (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/disabled-cruisers/275945-partically-disabled.html)

Angie Babcock August 25th, 2001 01:52 PM

partically disabled

My mother and I are getting ready for our first cruise on the Paradise 9/16/01. A couple years ago while at work a shelf fell on her causing brain damage, effecting the right side of her body. She is able to walk with a cane (slowly) after having a couple surgerys. I am worried about her getting around on the cruise ship (stairs). Any comments or suggestions. THANKS

Rcrossan August 29th, 2001 11:38 PM

Re: partically disabled

My husband and I cruised on the Paradise in late May. I usually push my husband (as a result of a stroke) in a wheelchair on all cruises on big ships. But we found we could get around the Paradise fairly well with him just using his cane. Our cabin was handicapped accessible just outside the main lobby--a little noisy at times, but very convenient to all elevators to restaurant, theater, library, etc. In the restaurant we had a table very near the entrance.

The only real problem we had on this cruise was the many children running around unattended all the time, day and late at night. I was really afraid he would get knocked down at times and when I complained to the purser's office about the problem and also the noise they made at night outside our cabin, we were told they paid the same amount as we did and they couldn't tell them what to do! One night we called security.

But we didn't expect a lot of kids at the end of May. Maybe you won't have them in September.

Have fun. The food and service in the restaurant was wonderful, the cabin spacious, and the ship is in very good condition.

Linda T. September 4th, 2001 01:39 PM

Re: partically disabled

Hi,
Your going to have a great time!! I have a handicapped sister that I take on cruises with me sometimes. She has been 3 times in the last 18 months and she loves it. My sister was run over by a car at 17 months old. it killed half her brain and paralized her right arm, she also has to walk with a cane. She is 47 now. even tho she walks fine on land it is a little hard for her to keep her balance on the ship. So I put her in a wheelchair on board. I don't even feel the motion but she does. on Sensation last year I didn't take one with me but on board I found I needed one and the pursers office was great getting one for me to use. I don't know how good your mom can keep her balance so I can't tell you if it will be safe or not to do the stairs. Elevators are everywhere tho so you can use them if you need to. The out side decks can be a little tough so be careful when using those stairs. I've found that the crew members are great with handicapped people. It seems like nomatter what they were doing they would stop and open doors for me or push elevator buttons. But some of the passengers could be a little impatient with us. just be careful and you should be ok. Cruises are a great vacation and I'm so glad that your taking your mom on one. Your about to have the experience of a lifetime. Have fun!! Linda