Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Disabled Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Disabled Cruisers Discuss issues concerning disabled cruisers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 20th, 2001, 03:01 AM
Beerman

Default leap of faith

I am taking a giant leap of faith here. It is such a good deal on such a great ship and being able to take my girlfriend to Mexico for the first time (aboard a cruiseship, no less) is very exciting for me also. However, I have no one yet to take over my business and only 8 days to find someone. But I am, after all, a cruise-a-holic and if I can afford it I'm cruisin', while still keeping my responsibilities in tact.
The deal was a 7 day cruise, plus all taxes and port, wheelchair accessable cabin (on the Empress deck), air from Vancouver for $1350.00 Can. per person and thats on the Elation. I've wanted so to take my Angie on a Carnival cruise. There not as stuffy as the others we've been on. The weather will be nicer and it will be quite the excursion for her. Although she is wheelchair riden we will she about catching a cab around town or the nearby countryside. Cabo is not a wheelchair friendly port as tendering Angie and her 'Bomb' (nickname for her electric scooter) is an impossibility for some of those little figian to manhandle a 550 lb. tank down to their tender boat.
If you could tell me about some of the cab rides in on the other stops I would appreciate it.
We will be leaving the 28th of this month from L.A.
Sponsored Links
Old October 20th, 2001, 02:14 PM
First Mate

Default Re: leap of faith

I would suggest taking a lightweight manual wheelchair for your port excursions. While you will find cabs, they are often either vans (no lift or ramp) or compact cars, and not sure you will find a trunk that is big enough for a scooter. In addition, there are virtually no curb cuts, so getting up and down curbs in a scooter could be a problem. In a manual chair you can push the chair and get up all but the highest curbs. This is what we do. You can use the scooter around the ship if you want.

What ports do you go to other than Cabo? We need to know which ones you are going to to make recommendations. Cabo has had a bad hurricaine and much of it will be torn up. If I were you, I would plan to get a cab and go to San Jose de Cabo (about 25 miles up the east coast). It is a quiter more picturesque town, and fairly accessible in a manual chair.