Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Disabled Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Disabled Cruisers Discuss issues concerning disabled cruisers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 4th, 2001, 06:05 PM
Laine

Default Shore Ex. w/ wheelchair

Hello,
I am unable to walk very far, so will be taking a folding wheelchair on the Adventure of the Seas in December. We do not have an accessible room, as it was not necessary. From what I have read, we will be fine on the ship, but I am wondering if the city bus tours, in Aruba, Curacao, St. Marteen will have room for my wheelchair.......does anyone know? Also, what about tendering?
Thanks for any information or insights.......
Sponsored Links
Old November 5th, 2001, 09:51 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Shore Ex. w/ wheelchair

We have been to all these ports on bus trips. If you will be on a bus (vs. a van) generally they have room for a folding wheelchair in the luggage bay of the bus. Of course you will have to be able to climb the stairs into the bus unassisted to do this (we can no longer do this). If it is a van the space is much more limited.

If you are tendering, it is best if you can walk to walk down the gangway by yourself, then have someone bring your chair down separately to the tender. If you must ride in the chair you will have to be carried on most ships. It can be pretty scary. Keep in mind that you may have steps on the gangway, in the tender, and at the pier.

For most cruise lines you can contact the Special Services office person to get more specifics about your ship and ports.
Old November 6th, 2001, 10:27 AM
Laine

Default Re: Shore Ex. w/ wheelchair

Thank you very much..........I hadn't thought of stairs on the gangway, but you are right, and I'd better check.... A few steps I can manage, but a whole gangway full of them, I cannot. One ship we were on had stairs on the passenger gangway, but a pretty flat ramp on the crew gangway.....they let us enter that way, and it was much easier. I'll check it out!