Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Disabled Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Disabled Cruisers Discuss issues concerning disabled cruisers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 3rd, 2002, 11:32 PM
First Mate

Default rent light wheelchairs?

My whole family will be on the Grand Princess early Aug. Mom walks fine but with past leg surgeries and foot problems, and a huge boat we would like to have a wheelchair handy. I've read about renting lightweight ones...almost like a folding lawn chair on wheels. Where do I find these?. We will be coming from Portland, OR
Sponsored Links
Old May 4th, 2002, 05:24 PM
Admiral

Default Re: rent light wheelchairs?

The ship has wheelchairs to rent while on the ship. You may want to call Princess and see if you have to reserve these in advance. These are fold up wheelchairs - not sure how portable they are.

I believe you must put a credit card deposit down on the chair and when you return it, your deposit is refunded.
Old May 6th, 2002, 11:10 PM
First Mate

Sounds like me I went on a cruise last year with bad feet and realized the ship was so large that it would do me harm. When I told my travel agent to find out if a wheelchair would fit in the room, RCI upgrades me to a suite, I THINK because it had a bathtub. We were booked into a balcony room. I had rented a wheelchair and it is huge and heavy, and changed my mind when I saw a transporter. It is like an adult stroller---the person seated cannot push themselves. But it worked out fine. Folds up and even fit into the overhead compartment on the plane! Check it out at a pharmacy which rents them. It was a Godsend! Just a little jarring on the cobblestreets of St Martin. Trust me she will appreciate a ride.
Old May 12th, 2002, 10:18 AM
PNS

i have previously read that the wheelchairs offered for use on the ship are often in need of repair. i witnessed this too on a recent cruise -- the wheelchair that was rented from the ship was wobbly and falling apart but it was missing a foot rest and the one existing foot rest that was still attached was bent to the far right.

if i were you i would look in the yellow pages under wheelchairs or medical equipment and call around to rent one and take it on the cruise with you vs. taking a chance that the ship "might" have one that "might" work properly.

also, you may also want to consider buying one for $500 or less -- that way you will have it for future use as well -- you could share it in your family since you never know who may need it for temporary use in the future -- broken legs, hips, arthritis, sports injuries, etc.

go to www.google.com and do a search on the words "light weight wheelchairs" and browse around for one that is used for travel and is VERY light weight --