Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Disabled Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Disabled Cruisers Discuss issues concerning disabled cruisers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 12th, 2002, 11:39 AM
PNS

Default ports that are wheelchair accessible?

my husband and i are both power wheelchair users. we recently went on our first cruise and LOVED it! even though the ship we were on was old (royal's sovereign of the seas), we were able to get around to most every place on the ship that we wanted to.

now ... ports! that is anothe story -- cococay was "supposed" to have been made wheelchair accessible -- NOT!

nassau -- well we were able to ride up and down the streets, but could not get in to any of the stores. plus, once we tried to get back onto the ship, the ramps were dangerously steep and our powerchairs came close to tipping over backwards!

we want to cruise again, but this time we want to go on a newer ship PLUS one that has accessible ports -- additionally, we want to leave from the charleston, sc area so that we don't have to first fly to get to the ship (charleston, sc is close to us). flying with two power wheelchairs can be done, but that is yet another potential nightmare in itself ...

does anyone have any ideas on places we can go from charleston, sc that have newer ships and dock at accessible ports?

thanks for any advice you can provide --
Sponsored Links
Old May 14th, 2002, 09:00 PM
First Mate

Default Re: ports that are wheelchair accessible?

I would suggest you stick to American and Canadian ports if you need full accessiblity (curb cuts, ramped doors, accessible transportation ashore, etc.). You might want to try a fall color cruise from Montreal through the St. Laurence and then the Maritines to New York or Boston. Just be sure it is a large cruise ship (not one of the small ships that are generally not accessable). If you like sea days, you could also look into a trans-Atlantic relocation cruise, but most of these leave from the Caribbean, not the USA. and you would need to fly one-way (rarely available round trip).
Old May 14th, 2002, 10:10 PM
PNS

Default Re: Re: ports that are wheelchair accessible?

kld,

it seems we are always bumping in to each other either here or on mass genl.

thank you once again for your helpful advice and assistance -- i will print your reply out and share it with my husband.

i am hopeful that we can cruise again in the near future -- we had a great time in march!

thank you and have a good week!
Old July 21st, 2002, 07:07 PM
amazingrace

Default Re: ports that are wheelchair accessible?

Check out the RCCL / Celebrity ships or any ships connected to them. We were on the RCCL Vision of the Seas last year and they had a W/C lift to get you on and off the ship or into the boat that takes you to port - they were very helpful to several people in W/C's that we met. We were interested too - because my traveling companion is probably going to rent a scooter or a electric W/C next time we go. Amazingrace
Old November 13th, 2002, 02:14 AM
SLP

Default Re: Re: ports that are wheelchair accessible?

I only know of one line that has trips from SC and that is Carnival, to Bermuda, I think. Kings Wharf and Hamilton both have accessible areas and the new catamaran ferries there are fast and very accessible. The older ferries are a great way to tour the main island. Carnival also has a Bahamas round trip from Norfolk.

I found the NCL Sun to be super accessible and as KLD said the Canadian ports are pretty good esecially Halifax. They do a round trip from Boston and there is parking right there at the port if you want to drive up.