Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Disabled Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Disabled Cruisers Discuss issues concerning disabled cruisers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 31st, 2002, 12:38 PM
Passenger

Default Newly Disabled Cruiser

Hi -

Next month, Mom and I are going on a 10 day cruise out of Baltimore. About 4 months ago, I was diagnosed with RA. I'm on a bunch of medications that help me function pretty well most days. Unfortunately, I tire easily, and occasionally have problems walking or standing for long periods of time.

This will be the first cruise I've been on since I became ill and I'm a little nervous. Are there any hints that I should know about? What about the fire drill - I can't do stairs with my bad knees and exposure to sun and heat is very bad for me. Can I get a wheelchair if I need one? I'm just totally new to this and don't know what to do or expect. Also, do I need to notify the ship doctor - I'm unlikely to need medical assistance.

Thanks - Karen
Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2002, 06:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Newly Disabled Cruiser

Hi Karen,
Sorry to hear about your recent disability, I would think a call to your travel agent would be in order. She/he can arrange with the cruiseline to have a wheel chair excessable for you, if you should need it. As for the life drill, usually during them they don't allow us to use the elevators, so I would think as long as you read the information and knew where to go in case of such emergency, that you could stick it out in your cabin, unless your station is close enough to your cabin where you could get there.

Have a wonderful cruise, what ship are you going on and when?

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 31st, 2002, 10:57 PM
Poodlegirl

Default Re: Re: Newly Disabled Cruiser

One of the most important things for a disabled pedrson to do when on a cruise is attend the life boat drill.
How else do you expect the crew to advise you of proper procedure during an emergency?

You might wnat to check out

ScootAround Inc.
Address:http://www.scootaround.com/ Changed:6:22 AM on Friday, June 14, 2002

about renting your own chair for the

cruise as most cruise lines have chairs only for limited use for passengers.
They also are the generic type that are impossible to us without someone pushing you.

Have fun and go to the drill so they recognise you as a person who may need help with an emergency.

Ori
Old August 30th, 2002, 12:07 PM
CaptData

Default Re: Re: Re: Newly Disabled Cruiser

Hi

Sorry to hear about your disability.

I use a wheel chair for distance as itire easily too (MS). I intend to go to the drill place early so I can use the eleavator before hand. I will find a lounge or place out of the sun and wait for it.

I have a warning most ship do not let you take their chairs off the ship for shore tours. Either rent your own at home that way you can try it out or order one to be delivered to the ship if you are returning to the same port that youleave. If you rent one from home it is not counted as part of your baggage weight (it comes under medical supplies).

There are some tours in caribeean, St Thomas and Jamica (Peat Taylor) who handle shore excursions for disablied people. I'm book with Peat Taylor in Jamica. You can posted on CC too. Get as much info as you can. Talk with your TA.

Enjoy your vacation.