Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Disabled Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Disabled Cruisers Discuss issues concerning disabled cruisers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 4th, 2005, 10:21 PM
Candy Harrington

Default Re: Stop ABs booking disabled cabins

Any of the Voyager class ships.

See my article at
http://candyharrington.com/clips/twi.php

It has been reprinted a numner of times, but it's fairly indicitive of what you will find on any RCI Voyager class ship.

The Monarch is really old and retrofitted -- I would not actually recommend it. You need to look for newer ships -- constructed since 2000 for the *best* access.

Candy Harrington
Editor, Emerging Horizons
***edited to remove commercial link*** -- the only magazine about accessible travel
Old December 11th, 2005, 11:29 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Stop ABs booking disabled cabins

deleted by author
Old April 20th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Beginner

I have never posted on a site before, but I have to say that you are all very helpful.
As background, my husband has MD and most of the time walks around fine with a cane (just in case). As he puts it, "People probably just think I'm an overweight, clumsy man." It irks me when people give him looks, but at the same point if I see someone using a handicapped facility who might not need it, I get frustrated if he suffers from lack of facilities. That being said, I can see both sides of the issue - meaning the giving of the looks and the receiving of them and why people need to just be understanding. If you need a facility - use it. If not, have the courtesy to make sure someone else does not need it.
Now, as far as cruises go, I have never been on one before and the only reason we can afford this one is b/c someone gave it to us. The only thing is the room classification is set. Apparently, there are only 25 handicapped staterooms aboard the Carnival Victory - and none that are in our classification. While he does not need a wheelchair, I asked for grab bars in the shower. I was told that there was one - only to discover that their version of a grab bar is an 8" washcloth bar. We don't want a seat in the shower (as this would just trip him up), but it would be nice if they had the different options available as someone mentioned earlier in the post. Some training for people as to what to do with someone with a disability that isn't wheelchair bound might be helpful too. (I often get the "If he's not in a wheelchair, then he's not disabled." treatment.)
Old April 4th, 2007, 09:58 PM
Passenger

sorry this may be dumb but what is an AB
Alabama Pride of the South
Old May 30th, 2007, 09:40 AM
Passenger

as the old addage goes "noquestions are dumb questions" AB's are what we loving refer to as able-bodied individuals.
7/29/99 Sun Princess
6/16/00 Oceanic
11/2/00 Sovereign/Seas
12/17/00 C Victory
4/27/01 C Spirit
6/7/01 Jubilee
09/26/02 Imagination
3/14/03 Summit
11/3/03 Century
12/18/05 Summit
12/18/06 Constellation
04/18/08 Westerdam
06/26/08 Dawn Princess

103 day at sea...so far

Free Cruise Tickers
Old April 17th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Familiar Face

Default Different disabilities

My DH and I went on a Disney cruise and had a regular cabin. We found it almost impossible to squeeze through the bathroom door - once we thought we were going to need to call for help. Next time we booked a handicap room. Just because we are able to walk does not mean we do ot need a handicap room.
Old August 31st, 2009, 02:48 AM
Beginner

The cruiseline paperwork asks everyone whether they have a medical disability. If you answer, 'yes' of course they will want to know about your disability. They want to be sure they can accommodate you and they want you to know what to expect from them. Answer the forms honestly because they're for your benefit.
Believe it or not, the people who refuse to fill out the forms because they think they're too intrusive are the same ones who complain when they get on board and discover they're limited because of their disability.
Case in point: A few years ago a passenger on a cruise required a wheelchair; but didn't bring one. He expected to get one on board and also expected there would be a crew member available at all times to push him around in it. Needless to say, his cruise activity was limited.
Old January 26th, 2010, 09:04 AM
Admiral

Angry Sore Subject

Sadly it has come to the time when my husband needs a handicapped cabin and there are none available, even ten months ahead of time. The reason I'm bring this up is that we were on a particular ship (don't dare mention the line) and overhead a woman bragging how she always gets a handicapped cabin because her husband is blind and has a bad knee.. I saw her husband around the ship without a white cane and doing well on his own.. It seems people in the "know" manage to get these cabins when they book by any means possible. This woman had a certain attitude of entitlement. It seems that Parrot Pop who now walks with a rollator and has difficulty walking will get the short end.. and only the privileged few who know the ropes and want a bigger cabin and can get a note from their M.D. will get one. There has to be a more equitable system!!!
Old June 6th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Familiar Face

these types of debates sadden me as I too have booked a disabled cabin, and if one was to look at me i suppose at times i would get all the nasty comments from people as well, some people are so quick to assume because someone can walk now and again then they are fine! I will not go into my illness here as it's my bussiness and no one elses however i would say for me to be able to walk those few steps i have to take a ton of morphine on holiday with me, in fact my whole flight bag is full of class A drugs which i need.

I did not have to produce a letter stating my disability however i did have to produce one staing my illness, that i was fit to travel and what my class A drugs consisted off along with my insurence details showing pre exsisting illness was covered. I wish i only had to worry about being in a wheelchair however as things stand when i am really tired due to the amount of medication i am taking that is when i will need to use my chair which i will be hiring from the cruise ship. If i can do without it great as i do not want people to know i am sick and disabled but if i need it .it's there

So please as many poster have stated already do not asume someone is not disabled just because they are not jumping in and out of a wheel chair

Pen x
Old September 6th, 2011, 12:25 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Angry Me Too!

I too think that this is very selfish and the cruise lines should require a letter from a doctor that confirms the disability. Violators should be fined or loose their reservation.
Old September 6th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Admiral

I'm finding that many disabilities aren't visible on the outside .
People who have heart pacers , heart transplants and a number of
other illness are considered disabled . I have a friend that has only 40% of
his sight . He considered disabled and legally blind even though
though he can work a day like everyone else . When he travels he always
requests a disabled room and carries all his documentation and still has
problems in hotels and restaurants.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old September 6th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

there is a huge difference in "disabled" and "handicap accesible"

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old October 27th, 2011, 01:54 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default tiredone8

my daughter has Cp so she needs a handicap room for her wheelchair with bigger doors and bathroom so she can be transfer on toilet if people don't need this kind of assistance and are not in wheelchair please don't book accessable room also I would like to see carnival get a hoyer lift to help transfer to pool and hottub to help her be more dependant and so she can injoy it also
Old October 27th, 2011, 02:00 AM
Welcome Newcomer

but he does not need a wheelchair room save them for people who needs them
Old October 27th, 2011, 04:51 AM
Admiral

I am amazed at this, I just assumed that in order to get one of these cabins you had to "qualify" somehow, surely you can't just say I want cabin "xyz"??
Old May 11th, 2014, 02:56 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Dave H

I am a regular cruiser and suffer with MS so have to have a wheelchair accessible cabin but have never had to supply a doctors letter in order to book. I realise that my MS will now be on record but have never been required to supply a letter from my doctor, only tick a box stating my requirement. On my last 2 cruises with Royal Caribbean there have been last minute passengers who have been supplied with Wheelchair Accessible cabins, one of which was an outside, balcony cabin and a greatly reduced rate. I understand the need to fill all cabins but surely it would be much fairer if disabled passenger in an inside cabin disabled was upgraded and their cabin supplied to the AB passenger. I say this as I book an inside cabin in order to be able to afford to carry on cruising and would love to be upgraded.
Old May 13th, 2014, 06:14 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H View Post
I am a regular cruiser and suffer with MS so have to have a wheelchair accessible cabin but have never had to supply a doctors letter in order to book. I realise that my MS will now be on record but have never been required to supply a letter from my doctor, only tick a box stating my requirement. On my last 2 cruises with Royal Caribbean there have been last minute passengers who have been supplied with Wheelchair Accessible cabins, one of which was an outside, balcony cabin and a greatly reduced rate. I understand the need to fill all cabins but surely it would be much fairer if disabled passenger in an inside cabin disabled was upgraded and their cabin supplied to the AB passenger. I say this as I book an inside cabin in order to be able to afford to carry on cruising and would love to be upgraded.
I think I understand what you are saying, and I agree that would be the ideal solution. The problem is that the AB party who called to book last minute probably requested a balcony cabin, and the HC balcony cabin was available. Not everyone in an HC inside would want to be upgraded to an HC balcony for various reasons, price being one, and some may have other family in cabins close to the one they already have. They would have to be contacted and permission given. This takes time, and in the meantime the party who called to book is in limbo. It is more expedient and less trouble for the cruise line just to book the party who called into the cabin.

It really pays for those who need HC to book well in advance, but I understand that sometimes opportunities some up, etc., etc. The cruise lines hold those cabins as long as possible, but they are not going to sail with them empty, just in case. I myself was offered an HC suite once by a cruise consultant. We had no idea until we got a letter informing us of the fact after the booking was completed. The letter stated that should the need arise for an HC cabin we might be asked to change cabins. We would certainly have done so, but was never contacted again.
Old May 18th, 2014, 02:36 PM
Familiar Face

You have a multi-issue problem that was actually created by the handicap.

First of fall, because of privacy, all a person has to say is that they need the cabin. The cruise lines do not have any right to question why. Too many handicap feel the reason is no one's business. What's the big deal? There is not anything wrong with being disabled. Heck, even social diseases are becoming accepted now days. The cruise lines do not publish anyone's health condition in their daily paper, so why not tell the cruise line the problem?

Originally, and still is with some cruise lines, the “accessible” cabins were designed specifically for the needs of those requiring mobile aids. However, other forms of disability also wanted that “space” thus they lobbied for “handicap” vs “accessible”. Regardless, there are still a couple cruise lines that does distinguish the difference. A diabetic (and other illnesses) needs a refrigerator, a deaf person needs an alert light, special phone and appropriate TV, and a blind person needs braille. Also, the lady that is afraid of the shower in the normal cabins can get a shower seat, she does not need the wheelchair space. Yes, I met her and instead of saying anything I just drove off.

Rather than approach ADA about the abuse of the accessible cabins, bring up the issue of safety which would narrow the handicap cabin selection down to the actual need. Currently there are a couple cruise lines that will relocate someone that has not indicated they were bringing a mobile device and give that cabin to someone with a mobile device. Yes, that has happened for us. In one case, the only problem was the fact that the people that ended up with our standard cabin also got our chocolate covered strawberries.

In our travels, we both require the use of a mobility scooter. For many years we would book a standard cabin if there were not any accessible cabins available. But as things became more difficult for us, we decided that with two scooters, standard cabins are not practical. Even now, since I am also toting a POC along, we do not have a spare inch of space in most accessible cabins. Our solution is booking early.

I do not know the correct approach for filing greviances in regards to ship travel. I recently had to file a complaint in regards to land travel and that was filed through DOT who automatically forwarded it to ADA (government procedure). Oh, I did get action and the problem was resolved.

Betty
Old May 19th, 2014, 08:00 AM
First Mate

It really is a difficult issue, both for the consumer and for the cruise line.

We really should not assume that only those who use a wheelchair require a handicapped cabin. Those who are hearing impaired need flashing lights to warn of emergencies or just the fact that someone is knocking at the door.

But, I know of people who book an accessible cabin just for the luxury of the extra space. They may technically have some level of impairment, bad knees, lung problems, can't walk far, BUT, they in no way require an accessible cabin. So when they book one, someone who is in a wheelchair may not have one available. An easy solution would be for the cruiselines to provide those who request an accessible cabin a questionnaire to be completed and signed by a doctor which would pinpoint the actual needs of that person. The cruiseline could than offer them a cabin which fits their actual need. But unless law requires that, it is probably more work than the cruiselines want to take on.

Most cruiselines are actually registered in foreign countries, so not sure if our ADA laws even apply to them. Are there laws that state that X number of cabins that are accessible must be available? If the cruiseline has more accessible cabins than required by law, can they then sell the remainder to AB after the minimum number booked has been exceeded? Does any law state that a ship cannot sell an accessible cabin to an AB close to sail date and MUST sail with it empty? These are questions I don't know the answer to, and I think the cruiselines are in a very tough position, trying to stay profitable while trying to do the right thing where cruisers with special needs are concerned.