Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Disabled Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Disabled Cruisers Discuss issues concerning disabled cruisers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 25th, 2002, 03:39 PM
SLP

Default Carnival legend-pictures?

I'm sailing with a group of friends on the Legend to Bermuda October 30th. I understand the Golden Fleece restaurant has the best food but is not considered accessible by Carnival. Does anyone have pictures of the stairways or tried to get carried up in a manual chair? Special services have not been that helpful on this one question. I can't even get if there is a freight elevator to the Fleece level. Any information is greatly appreciated. I'll be in room 8234 port side and will take some pictures to share. It has the extended size balcony. :-) If anyone gets to that room first can you please take a pic or two for me? Thanks and can't wait!
Sponsored Links
Old September 25th, 2002, 08:23 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Carnival legend-pictures?

Just wondering why you choose to give money to a cruise line that was so thoughtless that they put in an inaccessible dining room in a ship built in 2002. Shame on them, and if this is the case, shame on anyone in a chair for supporting them financially by purchasing a cruise on this ship. Carnival was recently sued over their accessiblity issues, and lost, so I would definately ask for more detail on this PRIOR to your cruise.
Old September 29th, 2002, 12:28 AM
SLP

Default Re: Re: Carnival legend-pictures?

I just got more information on the two decks the Fleece is on. Now that they have real rooms and elevators built and installed, the elevators go to the Sun deck and wheelers can eat in the portion of the Golden Fleece on that deck. There are 6 to 7 stairs up to the balcony of the Fleece on the Sport deck. Looks like the major restaurants on this ship both have two levels.

And I booked this ship because the port is incredibly close to home and we rarely get time for a vacation as it is now. Now I just have to figure out what to wear on an umbrella cocktail swilling ship. :-)~
Old October 1st, 2002, 06:44 AM
big jay

Default Re: Re: Re: Carnival legend-pictures?

SLP.....what a small world, your cabin is also the one we have booked for the Thanksgiving cruise.....I would be most interested in hearing all the info about your trip, to have the opp to hear from someone that is also in a chair, would be most beneifical to me and my partner.....I hope that you have a trememdous cruise and enjoy every min of the trip.....you know SLP, I've only been in the chair for some 2 yrs, but damit they are not going to keep me at home.....we deserve the chance to sail with the rest of these turkeys (HA HA).....enjoy my friend and then tell me how much fun you had.....Big Jay
Old November 13th, 2002, 12:29 AM
SLP

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Carnival legend-pictures?

Hate to say I have no pictures. The husband forgot to check the batteries and the rest is well, not worth arguing over and wasting prescious cruise time. I already answered some questions from another person who was lined up for that cabin so will just edit that in here:

My husband and I have only cruised once before this on the inaugaural cruise of the Norwegian Sun to Canada last November. The Carnival cruise from Baltimore to Bermuda was much more, um, relaxed, than Norwegian as far as dress, activities, etc. Totally different crowd but we had a blast on both ships. I think going with friends on the Legend helped some but they really do have something for everyone and we were particularly surprised by the quality of the food in the main diningroom, Truffles, and the Las vegas type show, Take Two, was terrific.

The only major disappointment of the entire trip was the super extended balcony in 8234. The water lip must be 8 inches high and the ramp up and down it so steep and short that I cannot think of any manual or power chair that would not get caught with the castors on one side and the major wheels on the other. The stress to either the tires or the frame would give I think. The door is wide enough to get through to the balcony but the lip with ramp for all practical purposes is a steep triangle. I did not ask my husband to try and manuveur me out there. I am a C5-7 incomplete quad and used my Quickie manual chair for the cruise. It's a standard size chair and I'm 5'8" and weigh about 130. So the problem is with the doorway and not my girth. Carnival does seem to have a lot of rather super sized cruisers though... Or maybe it's just Baltimoreans. :-)

I can stand with help to do transfers but that is not necessary in the Legend's accessible cabins. We had the steward remove one stool that was at the desk but otherwise the furniture was ok. The bed is two twins that were pushed together but had seperate sheets, etc. We had Lito make them up as a king with the foam wedge fitted in to the space between the two. Very comfortable. You may want to ask him to remove one of the small bedsize tables. The one near the door would be best as there is more room to park your chair there if you do push up and over transfers.

The bathroom is large with plenty of maneveur room. There is a scald guard handheld shower and a pull down plastic and rubber bench to sit on. That is kind of tiny for me. I have one side that is stronger than the other other so I felt a little wobbly but there are grab bars all around so with help with the shower head I did fine. The toilet is to the left as you go in the door then the shower curtain then the shower area. With the curtain pushed to the wall there is plenty of room to do the toilet transfer. The sink is a drive under and watch the pipe below it if you don't have sensation. Very hot water is not a problem! Don't want to get burned. The shower is set by celsius which is why they suggest 38 degrees which is just about body temperature. There is a long handled squeegee that is very helpful because the tile floor is slippery when it gets wet. There is an emergency call button near the toilet and above the bed. It works. My husband hit the button accidently...

The space between the bed and the desk is above 3 inches too narrow. This will most likely not be a problem for you unless you wear make up and want to use that area with a make up mirror. The blow dryer is in the drawer there though. That struck even all my able bodied friends as weird. You can get a chair in there it's just if you want to face the mirror you may need to remove footrests or have help sliding the rear of your chair over.

So getting in and out of bed and the bath should be no problem whatsoever. I'd love to hear how others deal with the balcony. I know some paras can do amazing seat jumps from their chairs to another regular chair across narrow doorways but I'd be amazed if anyone can jump the area of the lip/ramp. Carnival will hear from me on that. My husband loves being out to sea, used to own a sailboat, so we would have a balcony cabin anyway but to call that balcony accessible is a lie.

Only place I found that wasn't accessible as far as the ship was concerned was up at the spa. I went in for a facial and the doorways to the individual rooms used for facials and massages are very narrow. My husband picked me up, carried me about 10 feet and put me up on their table. Yes, I know I have it made. He is great. The spa area is leased by a contractor so I plan on letting them and Carnival know that I would have had a second if it were accessible. At $90 a pop they are losing money from people like me who can't get there.

Ask your travel agent or email Carnival and ask to be seated near the edge of an aisle area for your dinner seating. Much easier than winding your way through small tables. Again, no problem there and they already had a chair removed for my place setting. I didn't check out any of the public bathrooms but I did see handicap signs at some so they are most likely all accessible. No lifts at the pools if you plan on swimming but you may be able to slide over onto the tiled area and into at least one of the pools and the jacuzzi/hot tubs are up stairs. Overall though I had no problems getting around with plenty of wide aisles and corridors, room between tables at dinner and in bars. Watch your knees if you eat at the supper club, Golden Fleece. I zoomed in and promptly ran my left knee (now bruised) into the cross beam of the table. It was hidden under the table linens so approach slowly. No problems pulling up to or under tables other than that one hidden beam. OUCH! Don't let the revolving door at Medusa's Lair keep you out of the disco. There is a regular door hidden in the wall next to it. Do watch your wheels in there as it has glass stairs and you can easily miss one and go sailing. And there were a lot of people using chairs or scooters on the ship.

Overall I'd say that they are a very reasonably priced, reasonably accessible ship. The balcony was the only true bad point. On the Norwegian Sun the HP cabins had a portable ramp and the lip was like 2 inches high that it had to cover. I figure if you're on the 8th deck and need an 8 inch water door lip two thirds of the ship is already under water. Why it was built like that I don't know.

Fel free to ask more questions if I left anything out that you need to know. The cabin is right around the corner from a bank of elevators. Very convenient. Oh, and instead of relying on crew to carry you up and down uneven gangways or stairs they have you use the crews gangway which has all the same security features but rarely much of an incline to deal with.